Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
misterbrymo
Human being with feelings

Default Problems with track bleeding

I'm running a Mac OSX 10.6.8 and am running my mixer through a Behringer U-Control UCA202 to connect it to my laptop via USB.

I programmed a drum track, bounced to an .aif file, and imported it into Reaper with no problem. However when I make a second track to record something with my micro korg, the original drum track I programmed bleeds through quite badly. It affects the microkorg's sound volume-wise and the over all sound is compromised.

If I were to put any FX on the drums like reverb, that surely bleeds through the second track as well. It's all around a bad time and I'm starting to get pretty frustrated. I'm at a loss here and could use some help from you guys.

I'm pretty new to sound recording/engineering.
misterbrymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
misterbrymo

Default Please help!

Help me, please.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
misterbrymo

I have found solutions for people who run Windows. I need help with my Mac.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Tim Ragnur

That is very hard to give a precise answer for.
You need to slowly go through your signal path; from the mixer of Reaper to your soundcard application to the actual hardware outputs and so on. This is the sort of a really good basic rule you can keep coming back to.

From your very short description i can only guess you have an active Send from your drum track to your synth track.

If not.

Make a new session and try again.
Read a bit of the manual.
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
misterbrymo

Thanks Tim,

It seems to be any track (not just the drum track) I orginally start with will bleed into any other new track I insert to record to. I will refer to the manual to see what I can find. If you have any other trouble shooting you could try and walk me through, that'd be greatly appreciated.

How would I be able to see if I have an active send form from my drum track to my synth track/any other instrument track I would use for the future?

My hardware connections seem to be spot on. I have it input from my mixer to the usb console into my laptop and an output connection back to the mixer so I can listen through headphones/speaker monitors.

Thanks for the thread reply.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
Tim Ragnur

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbrymo View Post
How would I be able to see if I have an active send ... ?
It's called Track Sends in the Reaper mixer. It works in similiar ways of AUX's, you may know from hardware mixers.
If you've started a new project in Reaper no sends are active pr. default.

I'm beginning to think you issue is more likely your hardware mixer or even the software of the U-Control. I imagine you are feeding back the master output in some way.
But it's all speculations... Why don't you just find a buddy nearby with a bit of technical skills and let him look at it. You should be able to solve this in a matter of seconds.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
misterbrymo

I wish; my buddy who used to record with me got married and moved away to the west coast. That's why I'm giving sound recording a shot on my own.

I agree with you that this probably is a simple fix, but not being able to find the source of the problem is the frustrating part.

Thanks again for your reply and your help.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Tim Ragnur

Ok hang in there

How are you coming into the mixer from the u-control outputs?
How are you coming into the mixer from your microkorg?
What model is the mixer?
What output are you using getting back from the mixer to the input of the u-control?
Where exactly is your loudspeakers or headphones, if that's what you use, connected?
Did you choose the u-control to be the (only) audio device in Reaper preferences?

Can you make a screen dump (cmd+shift+3) of the Reaper mixer and snap a picture of the hardware mixer setup (showing the knob settings).

Then..
we should be able to solve this.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
misterbrymo

Default I did it!

Thanks so much for your help/input Tim.

I messed around with my sound card settings and switched up the inputs/outputs from my mixer to my u-control device. With some mixing and matching I finally got it right. Thanks so much again Tim, you're the man!

-Bryan
Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Tim Ragnur

Hey that's great You're welcome, glad to help.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #11
timbrocks

Default Track bleeding on PC with UCA202

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbrymo View Post
I have found solutions for people who run Windows. I need help with my Mac.
I'm having trouble specifically on the PC. Would love to know what your solutions were. I'm using Win 10 on an old PC with REAPER, and there is definitely track bleed happening in additional tracks.
timbrocks is offline   Reply With Quote