Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #121
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
I just want a bunch of scales that match them Starsky and Hutch riffs you do in your demo tunes
No Starsky and Hutch scales for you, come back next year.

:lol:
Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #122
Astro
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
We'd like to add this but we don't have any idea how to describe it in the mouse modifiers preferences page. Suggestions? "Stretch note selection" ?
Hi...You could call it RASQUADO...the Flamenco term for a rapid strum that is like a fast arpeggio emulating a quick drum roll.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #123
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Hi...You could call it RASQUADO...the Flamenco term for a rapid strum that is like a fast arpeggio emulating a quick drum roll.
Do you mean 'Rasgueo'?

[EDIT] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasqueado (it's with 'g' not 'q', I don't know why wiki shows it like that)

Last edited by Mercado_Negro; 02-20-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #124
Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Do you mean 'Rasgueo'?

[EDIT] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasqueado (it's with 'g' not 'q', I don't know why wiki shows it like that)
I think there is a few ways to spell it ...dunno wether that may be a problem if they used a term like that.
Classical players tend to spell it Rasquado( with a q)...or Flamenco players often spell it Rasgueado (with a g).
http://www.delcamp.us/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51736
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FahvVobwg0w
Its one of those words I guess...funny old world LOL!!

Last edited by Astro; 02-20-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #125
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
I think there is a few ways to spell it ...dunno wether that may be a problem if they used a term like that.
Classical players tend to spell it Rasquado( with a q)...or Flaminco players often spell it Rasgueado (with a g).
http://www.delcamp.us/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51736
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FahvVobwg0w
Its one of those words I guesss...funny old world LOL!!
I've never heard a classical player saying 'Rasquado' but it's possible, I guess. The term uses a 'g', no doubt in that. Maybe guitar players from USA or UK say 'Rasquado' because it's easier for them but trust me, it is 'Rasgueado' or 'Rasgueo'
Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #126
Astro

Quote:
I've never heard a classical player saying 'Rasquado' but it's possible, I guess. The term uses a 'g', no doubt in that. Maybe guitar players from USA or UK say 'Rasquado' because it's easier for them but trust me, it is 'Rasgueado' or 'Rasgueo'
Sorry to debate you on this...Classical players do spell (not say) Rasquado
Did you look at the top link I sent you?
http://www.delcamp.us/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51736&start=0
Theres at least 6 classical players there (including teachers) spelling it Rasquado.

Check it out elsewhere too...it IS spelt Rasquado ..Trust me.
Here is a whole article and forum where its spelt Rasquado
http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m...ode=&s=#116805
But I agree its also spelt Rasgueado.
Cheers

Last edited by Astro; 02-20-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #127
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Did you look at the top link I sent you?
Yes.

Let's just forget it. Back and forth won't take us anywhere. You trust a web page and I trust my brother who's a classical player and also took Flamenco classes

Cheers!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #128
caseyjames

When gluing items Reaper currently assigns the key of the resultant item to the last set key - in any item, not just the selected items being glued.

It would be useful if it were possible to use selection order to determine which scale of the glued items is assigned to the result. So the key of the first selected item, in a selection of six items to be glued, would be retained.

Of course it would be great to get second third and fourth scale slots for loading chords and scales at the same time as well as polytony polychordal stuff. Pie in the sky i know.

I suppose this is just the start of the scale bits though.

EDIT: I spelled polytonal wrong but to delete polytony is unthinkable... band name up for grabs for people named tony.
caseyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #129
Astro

Quote:
Yes.
Let's just forget it. Back and forth won't take us anywhere. You trust a web page and I trust my brother who's a classical player and also took Flamenco classes
Cheers!
Yep...Agreed, debates can be fun...as long as you dont take them too seriously.
BTW did I mention I dont just trust web pages (although there are a lot of them)I play some flamenco as well and studied it for quite while...OK I am not that great at it tho because its not my main style LOL!!
But its difficult with these cross nationality spellings, a lot of words and terminology used in Indian music have the same problematic words in english translations B's are often pronounced with V...and so on.
Cheers
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #130
musicbynumbers

Default Option to have the scale change to what ever key you started painting from

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet (not read through it all) but surely a mega useful feature would be to have an additional tick bock next to scale for "auto detect key" and all this would do is auto change/define the key simply by detecting what note the first note you draw is on.

This would be so powerful (unless I'm not thinking it through)?) and would allow to change key very easily.

so..

step 1, tick "auto" box

step 2, use pencil modifier to draw first note (and keep it held)

step 3, draw your notes (they will now be in the key of the first drawn note)

step 4, let go of mouse button and go to another note, repeat step 1 for "good times by all"
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #131
caseyjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjames View Post
When gluing items Reaper currently assigns the key of the resultant item to the last set key - in any item, not just the selected items being glued.

It would be useful if it were possible to use selection order to determine which scale of the glued items is assigned to the result. So the key of the first selected item, in a selection of six items to be glued, would be retained.

Of course it would be great to get second third and fourth scale slots for loading chords and scales at the same time as well as polytony polychordal stuff. Pie in the sky i know.

I suppose this is just the start of the scale bits though.

EDIT: I spelled polytonal wrong but to delete polytony is unthinkable... band name up for grabs for people named tony.
It occurred to me, that it would be more useful if the scale/chord could be inherited from the last selected item. This way the desired scale could be selected when gluing items but also right before recording or drawing a new item by click an exiting item in the project with the correct scale.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #132
caseyjames

Another thought...

It would be very useful if the name of the scale showed up in the filter window after the item name

Track 1
Track 1: Bass : F# Melodic Minor
Track 1: SlowBass : A Melodic Minor
Track 2 etc...
Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #133
musicbynumbers

Alpha 44 gives you

"+ MIDI editor: user-definable submenus in the snap-to-scale dropdown list
"

also read the post I made above I think it would be very powerful!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #134
caseyjames

I've read your idea a number of time but I don't understand it at all.

If the mouse is held down how do you introduce leaps? Does every phrase start on the tonic? I don't understand what you are looking to do.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #135
lunker

Default Chord Voicings?

Realy digging the work that went into this new feature.

I'm not sure it fits in with the present implementation or not, but one thing I would find useful is the ability to voice chords/scales over multiple octaves. Someone else mentioned this with regards to 9ths, 11ths, etc.

I envision this being useful for voicing, for example, different styles of guitar chords. Currently I have macros to create common guitar chord voicings: 6-string barre chords (E and Em type), 5-string barre chords (A and Am type), 4-string barre chords (D and Dm type), open G chord, open C chord, etc. I select the root note, and the macro creates the correct voicing.

Would be nice if there was a way to extend that into this new chord/scale feature. Something like musicbynumbers' "auto detect key" would help. Select the root note, and draw the chord voicing. Don't snap to the notes of a specified key, but rather snap the intervals relative to the root note that was selected.

Just a thought ...
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #136
Evan

FR for: the piano roll to show/mark the root of the selected scale. (it currently shows 'C' for all scales)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #137
copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
FR for: the piano roll to show/mark the root of the selected scale. (it currently shows 'C' for all scales)
I mentioned this a while back already, it would be fantastic if it could be done.
copacetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #138
the all new rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
I'd love to have some cool ready-to-use "all the new rob" style "universal" jazzy piano voicings to instantly pop out 45 lounge tunes per minute. Anyone who knows how to use a Rhodes and 2-3 chords to mesmerize people one step forward please... (OK just dreaming, maybe a bit "special" )
Wow, I'm blushing.

Quote:
We will be adding the ability for users to define their own scales and chords, so it probably makes sense to keep the stock list concise.

I was popping in to the thread to suggest an implementation that allows yo to replace the entire set, in order to remain compatible with someone else's implementation that you may be comfortable with.

One I'm kind of familiar with is Korg's, since I own a Kaossilator. Having that set available (for better or worse) seems like a good starting point in general and has the advantage of being familiar to a Kaossilator user. Other sets could be released in similar ways.

Here's a pdf of the scale set documentation:
http://emusician.com/web_clips/kaoss...progs-gray.pdf

There's nothing at all sacred about this or any other set of names for scales, it's just a familiarity thing. I actually disagree with several of these names, and it's missing a lot of scales I'd use, but it's a good example of the 80/20 rule at least and a place to start.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #139
caseyjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I would be very helpful if it were also possible to set the rotation.

I have already manually added hundreds of scales, using 10010101 instead of 100203 to keep the modal rotation ambiguous. If I were to include all rotations as scales it would put the number in the thousands.

So for instance if a C Major Scale was set I could set the root to F for a Lydian... Is this case I could just choose Lydian, but there are many scales whose rotations are not named.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #140
Aeolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Realy digging the work that went into this new feature.

I'm not sure it fits in with the present implementation or not, but one thing I would find useful is the ability to voice chords/scales over multiple octaves. Someone else mentioned this with regards to 9ths, 11ths, etc.

I envision this being useful for voicing, for example, different styles of guitar chords. Currently I have macros to create common guitar chord voicings: 6-string barre chords (E and Em type), 5-string barre chords (A and Am type), 4-string barre chords (D and Dm type), open G chord, open C chord, etc. I select the root note, and the macro creates the correct voicing.

Would be nice if there was a way to extend that into this new chord/scale feature. Something like musicbynumbers' "auto detect key" would help. Select the root note, and draw the chord voicing. Don't snap to the notes of a specified key, but rather snap the intervals relative to the root note that was selected.

Just a thought ...
Having the snap block off 2 octaves at a time isnt such a great idea, ive come to the conclusion.

just one example of many:
Will it block off octaves C1-C2 or C2-C3?
Maybe the "pair" could be "chosen" on mouse down/paint, but any other chords/notes already present in the "other" octave(s) would then get snapped to the extension notes instead of chord tones.

Im happy with:

Maj/m/dim/aug
sus2/sus4
6/m6
7/Maj7/m7/mMaj7/m7b5/7sus4

The rest is gravy
Aeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #141
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Having the snap block off 2 octaves at a time isnt such a great idea, ive come to the conclusion.
I agree. I don't think my idea really fits in with the way that snapping has been implemented. I think it would need to be done as a separate tool.

I was just throwing the idea out there to see if it gathers interest.

The only reasons I mention it is that each of my chord voicing macros is around 8-10 actions long. It would be much easier to create/edit them if each one was just a single line like what we have in the reascale files.

Last edited by lunker; 02-22-2011 at 10:19 PM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #142
Aeolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
I agree. I don't think my idea really fits in with the way that snapping has been implemented. I think it would need to be done as a separate tool.

I was just throwing the idea out there to see if it gathers interest.

The only reasons I mention it is that each of my chord voicing macros is around 8-10 actions long. It would be much easier to create/edit them if each one was just a single line like what we have in the reascale files.
Oh i agree it would definitely come in handy .... a few of us attempted to do reascale files that had all manner of extensions, which is where the idea initially surfaced.

i just think it would be a total head-melt to code around all the possible pitfalls it could present.

i could be wrong and the devs release it in a45 tomorrow
Old 02-23-2011, 04:17 AM   #143
BobM

I know it's a clunky program used by many students, particularly jazzers, but the "chord builder" in Band in a Box may be worth looking at, works well for me.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #144
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjames View Post
I would be very helpful if it were also possible to set the rotation.

I have already manually added hundreds of scales, using 10010101 instead of 100203 to keep the modal rotation ambiguous. If I were to include all rotations as scales it would put the number in the thousands.

So for instance if a C Major Scale was set I could set the root to F for a Lydian... Is this case I could just choose Lydian, but there are many scales whose rotations are not named.
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean. Maybe I misunderstand but can't you do that now? If the modes of any particular scale are not defined you can just do it yourself in a reascale file (BTW. I have already specified common modes in the scale file I posted a few days ago, which you'll find here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/7982/xasman.reascale)

I like the fact that we can now define any mode from its' own root, rather than having to use the root of that mode's parent scale (though you can still do that if you want to). In Cubase, for example, you can't specify C Lydian (you would have to set G Major if you want C Lydian), and there is no user-definable scale option in Cubase either.

Last edited by Xasman; 02-23-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #145
zappadave

E Minor added 9th

Works ok for adding the second an octave above the root.

Works as well

Inversions should work in a similar way, although I've not tried this yet.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #146
Aeolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappadave View Post
E Minor added 9th

Works ok for adding the second an octave above the root.

Works as well

Inversions should work in a similar way, although I've not tried this yet.
thank you very much for posting this ....

does 109300B00070 result in 1-b3-b7-9-11 ?

**scuttles off to check........**
Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #147
zappadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
thank you very much for posting this ....

does 109300B00070 result in 1-b3-b7-9-11 ?

**scuttles off to check........**
Yes it should.
You could just extend the octave, but the above is more compact.
0000300500001 might be ok for an inversion.
or

Have to try this.

Bit of a waste of time, but 109300B00070 does work for 1-b3-b7-9-11.

Last edited by zappadave; 02-23-2011 at 03:45 PM.
zappadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #148
jedstar2000

Default Global snap to scale PLZ

Ok theres some gold in hear but I cant get it to shine...

I'm not classically gifted atall , I prefer to mess with things till they sound interesting then tweak them till I get what I'm looking for, so this should be perfect for someone like me. The problem is if I simply want to try a different Key/Scale I can't . I would truly love to change the key and watch all the notes adjust themselves to there new positions but alass nothing like this unless I'm not doing something wright. I would then like all notes I play in to be trapped to this Key/Scale on all new midi items. At the moment I find myself manually pushing notes around and changing the scale for each individual midi item ..... I know theres some clever music boths out there who are going to disagree with me but I really would prefer to globally set the Key and have everything trapped to that key If I want to add extra notes I'll turn the global mode off temporally ....

Also I would like to have the not used notes grayed out in the entire midi editor not just the piano keys as I find myself gazing at the keys to see what notes are associated to the key when this shouldn't be necessary...

Thanks for all your hard work Jed
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #149
Evan

I am curious how are you guys finding (using) this feature so far. For me the implementation is not really 'there' yet.

(for what it's worth, I don't do simple music that is locked to a single key and just a few chords on that key.)

For one, chord snapping can occur more often than scale snap. Even in the simplest of songs... in the scale C major, you can do the chords C major, F major, G major... and back to C. That's a lot of clicking in the chord snap for just three chords, you might as well turn it off.

(idea 1)
BUT... what if you could immediately define the key (root) from a MIDI controller. So you set the type, a major chord, hit C, it's C major. Hit F, goes to F major. Now it's a lot faster.

And what if you could do the same by clicking on the piano roll on the left, for setting the key? Now your MIDI controller is free for other things.

And what if you could map this on just use one octave of your keyboard? Keyswitching style

Or have actions for that so we can build a toolbar and maybe use other types of MIDI controllers?

Cool.

(idea 2)
The chord definitions can be awesome for one thing: trying out different chords in the song.
Currently it's a chore: change root, change chord type, draw in chord, no that doesn't sound right... delete notes, change chord type, draw in again etc...

What if you could listen to the chords live?

What if you hit a key on the MIDI keyboard, and you get the chord sound?

And what if you could switch between chord types with shortcuts and/or buttons? Including actions to go to next/previous chord (but when reaching the last chord, go back to the first in the list, don't move over to scale snaps and ruin the whole thing

You get the idea...

In other words, this chord/scale thing, along with the incredible amount of chords+scales the users have contributed, can be an amazing tool for performance and composition. The current implementation is good to have, may come in handy, but it's not really there yet to be truly awesome.

Thanks!

Last edited by Evan; 03-07-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #150
EvilDragon

Might as well play the chord progression in realtime then
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #151
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Might as well play the chord progression in realtime then
I have been posting that FR to my brain for god knows how long.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #152
foweler

Quote:
Coming attractions ("arpeggiate"):

Quote:
Originally Posted by typewriter View Post
How are you painting this?

Can't get this to work.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
The painting works right now
Just put it on chord
It's just the arpegio drag that isn't possible right now
Not for me. What do I have to do to get it to fill as I drag down like that?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #153
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foweler View Post
What do I have to do to get it to fill as I drag down like that?
Oops, it look like this broke in alpha51. It will work if you set the mouse modifier MIDI piano roll drag to "paint a stack of notes at the same time position", but it is also supposed to work if you select a chord and use "paint notes or chords" (shift+ctrl+alt by default). We'll fix that.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #154
foweler

I'm running 50a and it after you pointed me in the right direction I figured it out. It will paint a stack of notes on the chord pattern selected.
I then added a toolbar button that changes the default mouse action to "stretch note positions (arpeggiate)". I should just set a key combo instead I guess. (Oh, there it is...shift-alt in the midi note context)

It works here. On chords anyway.

Question....can I or will I be able to have it paint notes on the whole scale too instead of just the chord?

Last edited by foweler; 03-10-2011 at 11:00 AM.
foweler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #155
musicbynumbers

Since each midi item can have a different scale it could be a great insight and overview to have the option for this info to be shown say below the item name in the arrange page.

Or not?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #156
Shramm

Default Lame musician's little helpers request :)

Hi, guys!

Perhaps the others have already said the same things before in this topic (so I apologize in advance if I repeat the same twice).

We have excellent 'scale' checkbox feature in MIDI editor, which snapping input notes to chord/scales. But it doesn't work with live MIDI input. Maybe I'm just very dumb, but I couldn't find the magic checkbox or option which allow to apply scale/chord filter to live MIDI keyboard input too, not only to notes, clicked by mouse. The 'wrong' out of scale/chord notes is still leaking while I play live, though in case with mouse clicking input it filtered and works well.

Of course you can tell me: 'Hey, you lazy man, just use the 'Transpose' option and get the chord/scale you want!' or: 'Use KeySnap MIDI plugin if you so drunk and you can't play the right notes'.

Transpose feature is awesome, and rather close to my aim, but it applies AFTER, not DURING playing. And it works well only for one particular selected chord, not chord progression.

And the KeySnap plugin is working DURING playing, yes, but it's little bit inconvenient. I don't know how to quickly and easily switch to another key/chord/scale. I decided to try to use 2 envelopes: the first one is for 'Root Note' parameter, and the second one for 'Scale File'. And I must tell you it SUCKS. OK, the root note has only 12 values from C note to B. But if you loaded a bunch of all 146 scale files... It's not an easy task to get exactly the right chord from list by moving the smallish envelope handle up & down (even if the envelope track expanded to full screen). So this option is, is no longer valid, alas.

How I see it.

You create MIDI clip with desirable duration (say, whole note) and choose the scale, for example, E major 7th chord. You checking the 'apply filter to live MIDI input' (or something like this) magic checkbox. In MIDI track input options you choose 'Record: MIDI overdub in existing items'. And voila! Now you can copypaste this MIDI clip and choose in it the next chord, say, E9 (according your song/track harmony). The next clip is, say, Amaj9 and so on, so on.

Each MIDI clip has it's own chord/scale rules which overrides my lame MIDI input. Then I just click 'Record' button and play live MIDI keyboard. After stop recording (if I sure that this is all I wanted), I select all MIDI clips and just glue it all. Then I getting mad fee, buying an island and drink a pina colada the rest of my life.

Seriously though, it can be useful for example when playing some kind of solo improvisation or something similar.

Sorry for my horrible English, it's not my forte.
Thank you!
Shramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #157
Anton9

Shramm,

What you'll want to do is add ReaControlMIDI as an effect. Open the editor and about half way down you'll notice a section labeled Notes, make sure Snap to Scale is checked and then select the scale you want from the drop down list.

Also make sure you have MIDI selected as your Input Source on the track, and that you have Record: Output(MIDI) selected if you want the correct notes to appear when recording.

Last edited by Anton9; 08-06-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #158
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Shramm,

What you'll want to do is add ReaControlMIDI as an effect. Open the editor and about half way down you'll notice a section labeled Notes, make sure Snap to Scale is checked and then select the scale you want from the drop down list.

Also make sure you have MIDI selected as your Input Source on the track, and that you have Record: Output(MIDI) selected if you want the correct notes to appear when recording.
Thank you for your answer! The automatization of 14 chord/scale status is more easily than 146. But I can't find how to turn automatization on. In 'FX Parameters list' I can't assign the envelope for changing root note and scale/chord. The feature is that song doesn't spin around the same chord/scale all the time. Say, in the 1st bar I have Emaj7, in the 2nd bar - E9, in 3rd - Amaj9 and so on. So the chords/scales in song are changing, and chord/scales in 'ReaControl MIDI' are not. Can I fix it in any possible way?
Shramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #159
mabian

Question: without having to use the record output mode, wouldn't it be easier to use the ReaControlMIDI instance as input FX (V4 feature only) so that data is recorded snapped to scale even using record (input)?

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #160
typewriter

Since there are no actions yet for the chord/scale function I used Aeolians actions. Unfortunately I wasn't able to import the menue (some kind of error message). I created my own text buttons but I couldn't figure out all chords from the action list.

I think a simple button or a context menue (right mouse click) is far better than the solution now. It seems akward to me that I have to change the key first before being able to insert another major chord for another root note.
typewriter is offline   Reply With Quote