Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
osflaa
Human being with feelings

Default Do artists/bands expect tagged audio-files?

I have posted this thread about applying meta tags when exporting audio in Reaper.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=137584

My question is: Is it common to tag the wav-files with artist name and song name when you mix/master for an artist/band? Is this something an artist/band would expect when receiving the final wav-files?
osflaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
ngarjuna

When I master music (which is not that often, I work mostly in post production) I always tag the final delivery files with the data provided by the artist(s) (and yes, I'll contact them and ask them to send me that data if they don't send it with the file deliveries). It takes a fairly small amount of time and effort on my part (even without REAPER being able to produce metadata in my renders) and allows me to deliver a truly finished, ready for sale product (which is really the reason to pay someone for mastering in the first place).

For mixing, I do not tag anything. If the artist wants to tag up and release unmastered mixes that's fine with me but in general the mixes I deliver are not expected to be ready for sale (they're expected to be ready for mastering).

ETA: I just saw your other thread and wanted to add: I only tag MP3s, FLACs, AAFs, and other 'portable' formats. I do not tag WAV files (iirc I've found a few programs which will accommodate writing metadata to WAV files, I just haven't found any use for having tagged WAV files in the first place).
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
osflaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
When I master music (which is not that often, I work mostly in post production) I always tag the final delivery files with the data provided by the artist(s) (and yes, I'll contact them and ask them to send me that data if they don't send it with the file deliveries). It takes a fairly small amount of time and effort on my part (even without REAPER being able to produce metadata in my renders) and allows me to deliver a truly finished, ready for sale product (which is really the reason to pay someone for mastering in the first place).

For mixing, I do not tag anything. If the artist wants to tag up and release unmastered mixes that's fine with me but in general the mixes I deliver are not expected to be ready for sale (they're expected to be ready for mastering).

ETA: I just saw your other thread and wanted to add: I only tag MP3s, FLACs, AAFs, and other 'portable' formats. I do not tag WAV files (iirc I've found a few programs which will accommodate writing metadata to WAV files, I just haven't found any use for having tagged WAV files in the first place).
Thanks for your reply! It seems to be a good approach to just tag audiofiles that are ready to be released.

Although I personally don't understand why people don't tag wav-files. File size is not an issue today (except when you try to attach a file on this forum) so many people listen to wav-files as well as mp3 in media players. I also think it's a good thing to be able to see artist name and title when browsing files in Windows.

I wonder why Reaper doesn't have the option to tag during export. This must be a very easy feature to implement. But it's not a big case, as you say there are other programs that do this.
osflaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
reyewi

Quote:
Originally Posted by osflaa View Post
Thanks for your reply! It seems to be a good approach to just tag audiofiles that are ready to be released.

Although I personally don't understand why people don't tag wav-files. File size is not an issue today (except when you try to attach a file on this forum) so many people listen to wav-files as well as mp3 in media players. I also think it's a good thing to be able to see artist name and title when browsing files in Windows.

I wonder why Reaper doesn't have the option to tag during export. This must be a very easy feature to implement. But it's not a big case, as you say there are other programs that do this.
I agree, to be able to use tags when exporting (Rendering) in any DAW is indeed important. Whether or not you are mixing or mastering, the Artist, Tempo, date recorded, Genre, etc is something all DAWS should and suppose to offer. This is definitely something I would like Cockos to add hopefully soon. The reason tagging a completed project is important, is for copywrite purposes. So, If I'm just mixing tracks preparing for mastering, I'm going to send them all files (track stems, midi and wav) and the project itself should already have the artist information. This is why I believe tags should be placed in the project itself, so when rendering it will already include all of the information on any file, MP3, wav etc. ProTools and Studio one Professional include this feature on the project. I would like reaper to do the same.
reyewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
planetnine

I think REAPER can add the project filename to the wave bext chunk on render.

There are EBU standard fields in the bext chunk for info like description, originator, originator's reference, etc, so band and song title could be easily added.

An option to write more metadata during render would be appreciated here, though, even if it is just for internal use, pre mastering.

>
Old 08-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Sigilus

one such metadata request is in my signature FR. It's not artist info, but speaker info for interleaved surround files.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
planetnine

That's a really good example of one of the intended uses of broadcast wav, the data is important for the playback interpretation of the file and needs to be stuck in it, inseparable.

You can always put the info in SWS notes and/or a text file in the project/ media folder too, but this example is what all those EBU meetings in Geneva and intricate technical documents are for.

It would be good to see more wav metadata editing apps around, and more metadata features in audio software. Not using it is akin to bunging your 1/4" tape on the shelf with no box, sticker or tracksheet attached (and yes, I do scan my A4 tracksheets and include the jpg in my media folders ).

>