Old 08-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Lucian
Human being with feelings

Default Bass Trapcans?

Opinions on Bass trapping vary but for the most part the two most popular types of bass trap are the superchunk and 4" panel straddling a corner. I then ran across this idea. Have any of you heard of it or have any initial opinions?

http://www.heartsoffireproductions.c..._Bass_Trap.htm
Old 08-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
Opinions on Bass trapping vary but for the most part the two most popular types of bass trap are the superchunk and 4" panel straddling a corner. I then ran across this idea. Have any of you heard of it or have any initial opinions?

http://www.heartsoffireproductions.c..._Bass_Trap.htm

The former is known as broadband bass trapping, whereas this "trapcan" is a type of narrowband trap.

As a rule of thumb, when the broadband traps have done a reasonable job, but there are specific frequencies or single frequency that really could do with taming further, narrowband (tuned cylinder, box, etc) traps can be tuned and placed to just absorb that offending mode. Think of it as a sharper tool to do a finer job.

Sometimes a particular room and setup will have unfortunate ratios and this can be one way of leveling out its response without adding broadband trapping to the level of turning it into an anechoic chamber

This is a novel way of making a cylindrical trap, here the resonant frequency happily coincided with a problem frequency in the room's acoustic. Just make sure that you build one to suit the acoustics of your room

>
Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Lokasenna

I saw the thread title and my first thought was "Somebody's headphones are too boomy?"
Old 08-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I saw the thread title and my first thought was "Somebody's headphones are too boomy?"

Yeah, empty head -too many standing waves!

>