Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #41
nfpotter
Human being with feelings

I must be missing something. I have a UX2 connected. I went to the page to get the plugin. It gave me a code, but didn't download anything.

How do I get the free plugin?

-Mitch Hedberg
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #42
pattonfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpotter View Post
I must be missing something. I have a UX2 connected. I went to the page to get the plugin. It gave me a code, but didn't download anything.

You "activate" it via the line 6 monkey. Then the monkey dl's it to your pc.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #43
DerMetzgermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpotter View Post

The plugin is included in the Podfarm installer. The same one you used to install the standalone and drivers for the UX2.
Maybe you should run the installer again, or download the latest one.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #44
shanabit

Stupid question here but I have a POD XT Pro. Should I download the one for it or do the i-Lok since I have that as well. Advantages, Disadvantages????

Thanks
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #45
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgrmsprgrs
Is there any difference besides cosmetic between Podfarm and the Gold Bundle?

Gearbox standalone is mostly a GUI for the actual POD device with graphical representations of the gear. It also allows you to load all the presets that are on the POD itself, save them and is also how you move presets that you downloaded or previously saved to the POD. It also offers a metronome, loop player and direct access to download tones from the Internet and an interactive interface for paid online lessons if I remember correctly. When you are using Gearbox standalone you are operating the POD itself and Gearbox. If you are using Gearbox standalone with an X3 then Gearbox will reflect the X3's dual tone abilities.

Gearbox VST appears to do all the processing on the computer and the POD is just the dongle. You can still use all the presets created by the standalone version of Gearbox and possibly also Pod Farm. I don't see that Gearbox VST has dual amps though.

Pod Farm standalone is different in that it appears to be doing the processing on the computer even in standalone mode. I can't completely test this since I have the plugin version and the standalone isn't fully functional.

Pod Farm VST is similar to Gearbox VST but offers dual tones, a much more studio centric GUI for building your tones. Much nicer than gear box and also loads all presets created by the POD, Gearbox etc. It doesn't offer any of the "practice workflow" features found in Gearbox as its more of a tone designer. You can also save presets etc in Pod Farm VST but I think only as a file. To get that file loaded into the POD might require Gearbox for the transfer if you wanted to later move something you created in POD Farm to the physical POD.

Gold Bundle on the other hand is a set of presets that will load into either Pod Farm, Gearbox or the POD.

Edit: The others are likely correct, you'll need Line6 Monkey which is a piece of software that can see the POD hardware and interact with Line6 online to authorize the plugin and the POD (meaning you might need a user account to sign into with Monkey). Not sure which POD versions this works with though, mostly the later ones I'd imagine. Though Gearbox and Pod Farm are very usable and convenient to use but the activation, authorization scheme kinda bites. I'm not sure if any of this has changed with the plugin giveaway.

Karbo

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-01-2009 at 06:47 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #46
plgrmsprgrs

Thanks Karbo,

I already have Gearbox and love it. Suppose I'll give this a try since it's free.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #47
Jed

I control gearbox via my FCB1010 midi controller (wah etc). Unbelieviably Line 6 haven't built midi control into Podfarm yet, so I'm staying with Gearbox for now.

Cheers
Jed
Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #48
hux

hey jed - you like using the footcontroller with gearbox? can you use it to change presets? like pedal 1 is preset A, pedal 2 is preset B, etc...

ever use it live? with a laptop or something?
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #49
scottedog

This works fine for me without any POD dongle, just with my iLok.
Many thx to the OP!

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
scottedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #50
nfpotter

Wow. Got it working. Very, very cool. ALMOST makes me NOT hate Line 6 for NOT giving the plugin to people who had already purchased their gear, lol.

-Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by nfpotter; 09-02-2009 at 07:55 AM.
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #51
cdoerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Stupid question here but I have a POD XT Pro. Should I download the one for it or do the i-Lok since I have that as well. Advantages, Disadvantages????

Thanks
Get both. They're free. Your XT Pro will enable more models in the plug-in since FX junkie is pre-installed. Plus if you bought any other models packs, those would also work as long as your XT Pro is connected.

On the other hand, with the iLok version, you will have to buy packs for any other models you want - even if you already own them on your POD.
cdoerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #52
Jae.Thomas

haha, just used crossloop to help my friend install it
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #53
shanabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoerman View Post
Get both. They're free. Your XT Pro will enable more models in the plug-in since FX junkie is pre-installed. Plus if you bought any other models packs, those would also work as long as your XT Pro is connected.

On the other hand, with the iLok version, you will have to buy packs for any other models you want - even if you already own them on your POD.

Will do. I got the i-lok one going. Lots of teaser in it as some things are turned off and cant be turned on in the presets.

Someday Ill have to get a fractal Im sure , when I hit the lotto that is
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #54
moio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoerman View Post
Make sure your Line 6 hardware is connected. It is effectively a dongle now.
So my POD 2.0 won`t help me much?
moio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #55
Bod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Gold Bundle on the other hand is a set of presets that will load into either Pod Farm, Gearbox or the POD.
The gold bundle is the Gearbox plugin with all the model packs, not just presets.
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 AM   #56
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
The gold bundle is the Gearbox plugin with all the model packs, not just presets.
I somehow missed that about the actual plugin... thanks..

Karbomusic
Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 AM   #57
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
I control gearbox via my FCB1010 midi controller (wah etc). Unbelieviably Line 6 haven't built midi control into Podfarm yet, so I'm staying with Gearbox for now.
Line 6 doesn't "get" MIDI*. They keep dropping it or marginalizing it on their products (X3 bean has no MIDI, X3 Live had only partial MIDI until users hollered... etc). I don't think they have plans to implement it in POD Farm directly. You should be able to use Reaper's MIDI control to adjust POD Farm's plugin parameters, though.

*The one exception to this may be the new FCB Express MKII - It actually has USB and can send MIDI control. It would be a superb PC-connected MIDI footswitch, much smaller than the FCB1010... if only POD Farm would listen to the signals!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #58
DerMetzgermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
I don't think they have plans to implement it in POD Farm directly.
Supposedly it's in the "to do" list. How long will they take to effectively implement it? ..Weeeell.... That's another thing.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #59
AudioWonderland

Edit:
Never mind. Its already there.

I have my patches saved on on the PC. I assume they can be integrated somehow?

Looks like they have clarified their website a bit. You can get the free version for ilok as well. I downloaded the file and completed the information to send the license to iLok. How long should it take for that to appear on the site for installation on my ilok?

Last edited by AudioWonderland; 09-02-2009 at 10:50 AM.
AudioWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #60
aMUSEd

Pity they don't have the Variax as qualifying hardware
aMUSEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #61
Jed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hux View Post
hey jed - you like using the footcontroller with gearbox? can you use it to change presets? like pedal 1 is preset A, pedal 2 is preset B, etc...

ever use it live? with a laptop or something?
Hi Hux

Yes I use the FCB1010 to control Gearbox standalone (not the VST version)while performing into Reaper. I use a footswitch for each effect (od, wah, mod, delay, rev etc) and use one of the expression pedals for the effect amount for each effect (or wah for the wah!) The other expression pedal is used for global patch volume.

Using the FCB1010 and Gearbox in this way makes my UX2 feel like a live set of pedals at my feet. I often stand and jam into Ninjam with my guitar and headphones on, and can always produce a great (to me) and varying tone in this manner.

So having done this for a couple of years you could imagine my surprise at finding out that the *upgrade* to Gearbox didnt have any midi control!

And yes Line6 have promised that this will come soon for Podfarm. Meanwhile I'll stay with old faithful Gearbox.

Cheers
Jed
Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #62
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMUSEd View Post
Pity they don't have the Variax as qualifying hardware
there would be no way to dongle the software with just the variax.

workbench, maybe. But then its like, not really related soundwise.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #63
aMUSEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
there would be no way to dongle the software with just the variax.

workbench, maybe. But then its like, not really related soundwise.
Well, apart from being a guitar
aMUSEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #64
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMUSEd View Post
Well, apart from being a guitar
what does that have anything to do with it?
Old 09-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #65
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Hi Hux

Yes I use the FCB1010 to control Gearbox standalone (not the VST version)while performing into Reaper. I use a footswitch for each effect (od, wah, mod, delay, rev etc) and use one of the expression pedals for the effect amount for each effect (or wah for the wah!) The other expression pedal is used for global patch volume.
However you can't change presets, only send CCs to change/enable/disable effects.

There was a little utility on vettaville... here: http://www.vettaville.nl/vvdownloadsnl.htm called GuitarPort Remote... I think this was the one I used... it sends a SYSEX message to GearBox to change patches.

Not ideal, but Line 6 doesn't want to give us alternatives.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #66
hux

ugh. I would love to be able to switch presets..oh well. Picked up a used Digitech RP250 today, it'll have to do for live situations.
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #67
Mark VH

Thanks for this thread. I'd been printing all my FX from Gearbox. I downloaded and played with POD Farm on the night this thread was started, but tonight I used it for the first time to record (rhythm guitar). POD Farm (like Gearbox) inputs 1-2 are wet and 3-4 are dry, so I set the track to record 2-3 in stereo. Afterward, I exploded the stereo item to separate the wet and dry. I recorded another track this way. Then I was left with two wet mono tracks and two dry mono tracks. Ditch the wet ones (only useful for hearing myself play with distortion). Then stuck the 2 mono dry tracks in a folder, panning each wide. On the parent, I inserted POD Farm VST. Played around until it sounded great in the existing mix. Rendered to stem, muted the folder. Ready for more recording. I was pleased the VST worked just like the stand alone. I'll be eager to use this parallel wet/dry method on bass and vocals, too.
Mark VH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #68
SevenString

I've been using Waves GTR. You can get Waves GTR Solo free for a year at their site:

http://www.wavesgtr.com

But recently, for the sake of comparison, I tried out the L6 Pod Farm. Now, before I start here, let me mention that I have been a Line6 product user for YEARS, and do like many of their products.

But as for my first impressions with the Pod Farm, I'm sorry to say that I'm not liking it as much as the Waves products, either tonally or interface wise.

Now, there ARE some little gems to be found here and there, but overall, it just isn't "doing it" for me.

In contrast, GTR Solo grabbed me right away, and I've been STAYING happy with it, happy enough to go ahead and purchase the full Waves GTR3.5 product.

Side note, if you register and download the free version of GTR Solo, you can upgrade to the full GTR3.5 product in a couple of steps, first by purchasing GTR Solo for $70 (removing the 1 year restriction), and then upgrading to GTR3.5 for another $40. This was originally a $380 product, so to me, $110 was a bargain.

Also, GTR Solo does NOT require any special hardware or dongle, such as an iLok. However, Waves GTR3.5 DOES require an iLok.

Anyway, I noticed that with POD Farm, the high-gain sounds tended toward a digital "box-of-bees" thing, and that I had to tweak too much for my taste to get rid of those artifacts and get something more "natural".

Well, I will say that I liked the POD Farm's Soldano head a lot.

But also, I didn't feel like the POD Farm sims were capturing the nuances as well, when I rolled off my volume knob or changed pickups, at least not as well as GTR seems to do.

But my real sticking point is that the interface felt more unwieldy to me, and slowed down my creative flow. In contrast, the Waves GTR interface seemed to require fewer clicks, and has the various stomps, amps, and other controls right there in front of you with a simple tabbed interface that says STOMP, AMP, TUNER, and PRESET.

Admittedly, you can probably set up more interesting signal chains with Pod Farm, but I just REALLY like the more streamlined interface of GTR.

I also didn't like it that so many of the POD Farm presets were just teases, because of the missing gear sims in the free version. At least with GTR Solo, they don't tease you with cool presets from GTR3.5, only to load them and find out that you're missing, say, the Neil Citron amp from GTR3.5 that would "make it go". With GTR Solo, every preset is valid and was built for that product.

I'm sure many of you are loving POD Farm, and it might fit YOUR personal workflow better, and that's cool too. :thu:

It's just a personal thing for me, Waves GTR just fits my needs better, and I honestly like the overall sound quality better than Line6 POD Farm.

Last edited by SevenString; 09-13-2009 at 12:17 PM.
SevenString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 AM   #69
Bod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenString View Post
I also didn't like it that so many of the POD Farm presets were just teases, because of the missing gear sims in the free version.
There not just missing in the free version, they're the base model set for the Toneport series and the old XT series units. The other models are extra, paid for upgrades called model packs. I have all the model packs in my PodXT so am able to use them in the plugin version using my PodXT as a dongle.

I agree, it is annoying that you can't hide presets that utilise model pack you don't own though. I experienced this when using my Toneport, which doesn't have the model packs.
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #70
slothrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenString View Post
But my real sticking point is that the interface felt more unwieldy to me, and slowed down my creative flow. In contrast, the Waves GTR interface seemed to require fewer clicks, and has the various stomps, amps, and other controls right there in front of you with a simple tabbed interface that says STOMP, AMP, TUNER, and PRESET.
I agree that the UI could use some work but I'll get used to it, I've been using PODxt for a couple years and POD Farm for a few days so for free I can't complain.

I'm going to check out that Waves GTR though.
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote