Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
Madder
Human being with feelings

Default Condenser mic Hiss

I use reaper and have a UM900A USB CONDENSER MICROPHONE which connects to my computer via USB. The Problem is that it has a thin hiss from any track I record through the condenser mic. Can anyone give me instructions as to how I can avoid this or eq it out without destroying the EQ of the mix, or if there's a plugin or software that might help? Generally if I EQ some of the high end out it does diminish the hiss a little but gives a boxy sound to the track(s)?
Madder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
darjama

You can use ReaFIR in Subtract mode for noise reduction, see here:

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaFIR#Subtract

...but the best option is to address the root cause? Is it picking up computer fan noise? see if you can move the computer father away. Is the mic defective? return it.
darjama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Shredder

Madder - make sure the sample rates match each other. Example if the mic gives 48khz and REAPER expects 44.1khz, then unwanted artifacts may be introduced such as hiss.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Madder

Thanks a lot for the replies so far. I will check these things and report back. For a start, there is a fan noise from my computer. Not hugely loud but there nonetheless. it sounds a bit duller than the hiss but could easily be a factor I suppose.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
MartensEleven

give us a sample of those hisses.
MartensEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Madder

Any idea where I can host the mp3 file if I basically just record the open mic while strumming an acoustic so as I can link it to this forum?

I have taken the mic out of the computer room and recorded it and it seems a bit better. The thing is that usually vocals need to be compressed upwards and volumed up a bit when I record them and this is where the hiss gets really bad. As soon as I up the volume or add a volume up compressor plugin.

I will look into the Khz suggestion next and see if that helps.

By the way, the REAfir idea works really really well in removing the hiss, but the tracks are considerably manipulated once you do this? Which is a pity. it would probably work well if you had this effect on 1 track in a project that had many tracks to hide the damage that it does, but i was very impressed by the noise reduction achievable with it.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Madder

OK, I've been so far unable to find the exact frequency response to this mic. It's description on ebay suggests that it has flat low frequency response and that it is similar to the apex 181?

So I'm not yet sure about matching up the frequency to reaper? I have a 25 second MP3 recoring of me strumming an acoustic guitar. It's very quiet, as usual so I've added classic compressor( and boosted it quite a bit ) and a little extra volume and the hiss is very prominent now. If someone can tell me how to post the MP3 file here, I will.

Finally is soundsoap any better than REAfir? As regards manipulation of the sound of the track after noise is removed?

Thanks

Last edited by Madder; 01-14-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Madder

Ok I put the 'Hiss' up on youtube. Here is the link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW2Wh7qzg4s
Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madder View Post
It's very quiet, as usual so I've added classic compressor( and boosted it quite a bit ) and a little extra volume and the hiss is very prominent now.
the hiss sounds like it's coming from the mic or preamp which means there isn't much you can do

solutions:

1. (recommended) move your guitar much closer to the mic and play louder. borrow better gear if you need to do a critical track like lead vocals.

2. (also known as: the long walk down into gearslut hell) buy better gear. you can get something like an audio technica at2020 for crazy cheap, and they're great mics: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb0...les/at2020.htm. pair it with a cheapo m-audio 'audio buddy' preamp (v. cheap if you can find them) and an m-audio transit usb interface or equivalent (also v. cheap) and your recordings will sound a million times better. of course, then you'll realise that the preamp is hiss-free but has some harshness in the top end and doesn't saturate very nicely if you push it too hard, so you'll start looking for a better one. and then you'll want a pair of pzm mics to get some nice room recordings and a couple of sm57's just in case you're recording a drum kit. and then you'll read something steve albini wrote about some tom mics once... etc. what i mean to say is: may god have mercy on your soul.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:08 AM   #10
Madder

Thats really funny! of course I know you're right!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
martygras

Hey Madder. Looks like this mic is targeted at podcasting, (i.e. talking) so sound quality may not have been a design requirement.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:13 AM   #12
Madder

I guess that's one way of looking at it, yes. It is a cheap enough condenser. So what about using software to remove the hiss. Is REAfir the best bet or is soundsoap any better?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madder View Post
By the way, the REAfir idea works really really well in removing the hiss, but the tracks are considerably manipulated once you do this? Which is a pity. it would probably work well if you had this effect on 1 track in a project that had many tracks to hide the damage that it does, but i was very impressed by the noise reduction achievable with it.
Make sure you're taking your noise sample from a place with no additional noise (no shifting around in your seat, no click coming through the headphones, etc), and it should be at least 2 seconds long. Use shift+Click on the Noise Curve in ReaFIR to adjust the level of noise reduction. The default is 100% reduction, which will definitely give you artifacts. You could also change a couple of ReaFIR instances, each one shaving off a some additional noise. 50% reduction then another 50% reduction should sound better than trying to do 75% reduction all at once.

Also try changing increasing the FFT setting, which will use more CPU, but should give a better result.

I've never used soundsoap, but one of my favorite noise reduction tools was the one in Cool Edit Pro, very precise and flexible, though not real time.
darjama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
Sheppola

If you are on a budget you can get a really cheap SM58 clone made by Behringer the XMS8500,

http://new-vista-sales.amazonwebstor...oogle-GB&id=uk

They are so cheap they are nearly giving them away.Not as good as a good condenser mic but pretty good value.

HTH
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #15
Madder

Thanks a lot for all the help and suggestions. Much appreciated.