Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
headbanger87
Human being with feelings

Default guitar rig 3 with pod studio ux2?

hey everyone,

just wondering if anyone here has had experience using guitar rig 3 with the ux2 before?

i just brought the software (which is killer btw) and am finally getting the tone im after!!

the problem is but, when recording in reaper using the line 6 as the input, it only records my a dry signal.... does anyone know if it's possible to run the processed signal from guitar rig "into" pod farm (if nescessary) then run that into reaper?

ideally what im after is to use guitar rig for my sound, and record two tracks at the same time in reaper: 1 processed and 1 dry

atm i can just apply the vst to the dry track thats being recorded, but it would just be much more efficient if i could record the processed track from guitar rig in real-time....

thanks
headbanger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
jplanet

The whole benefit of using Guitar Rig VST or Pod Farm VST in Reaper is that you can change your guitar sound at any time...You can record a track with Guitar Rig, duplicate it, then replace Guitar Rig on the second track with the Pod Farm plugin, or any other amp simulation you want to use.

You can also record two tracks at the same time. Just set up one track with Guitar Rig, the other with Pod Farm, record-enable both tracks, and record. This sound great if you pan the tracks hard-left and hard-right...

It's very common to realize at mixdown that you want to tweak (or completely change) the guitar sound so that it sits well in the mix...
Old 04-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
headbanger87

hey jplanet thanks for the reply

i know the advantages of using vsts and i agree with your methods, however its not what im trying to achieve

ive got the pod farm mixer setup in way that allows me to record two tracks in reaper (1+2 is processed and 3+4 is dry) i can then just copy the dry track and apply a vst later on if i want to change the tone

but recording the processed signal also comes in great for times when you just have the magic moment and cant replicate that exact sound with the vst later on - this is what im trying to accomplish with guitar rig

do you know how i can record the processed signal and dry signal from the rig at the same time in reaper? i just cant seem to get it work with the tone coming from guitar rig!!

thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
jplanet

Ah, I see what you mean. You could either route the Guitar Rig track's outputs to two new tracks...use the sends in the routing window to do this:

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php...Tracks#Routing

Then set all 4 tracks to record as you would with PodFarm as you described...

Unless you have some kind of random effect in Guitar Rig, you would get the same results - and somewhat easier, by just recording the Guitar Rig track, then render it to stems...
Old 04-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
ichijou

the guitar rig vst works in real time just like the standalone.

make two tracks, one for sends 1-2, one for 3-4, leave one alone for your dry track, add the guitar rig vst to the other track.

Last edited by ichijou; 04-08-2009 at 05:30 PM.
ichijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
headbanger87

wicked

thanks heaps guys got some great ideas from your posts!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:20 AM   #7
headbanger87

arghhhh this is so frustrating!!

i have the routing set in the guitar rig settings (output 1 and output 2) but if i launch reaper without pod farm running i get an error that it can find my asio sound device.... if i run it with pod farm its ok, but i still cant get the processed signal from guitar rig recording in reaper along with the dry signal on another track

any ideas what im doing wrong this thing is driving me nuts lol

thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
iamamonkeysoareyou

hi,

i use both guitar rig and Pod Farm (vst and standalone). I dont think you are able to achieve what you want to do.

Running PF Standalone, you will be abe to record the processed Signal on one track (sends 1-2) and the dry signal on another(sends 3-4).

however,
guitar rig works the same as PF plugin. i.e you wont be able to record Wet and dry on seperate tracks easily without tinkering with the record setting in Reaper.

First, in reaper:
1. create 2 new tracks.
2. Name them Guitar Processed, and Guitar Dry respectively.
3. Insert Guitar Rig as a vst into the track named Guitar Processed.
4. in Guitar Processed - Right Click on the track record button and select Record:Output. choose the appropriate one from the list.
5. for both tracks, select the appropriate input. This would be your UX2 input. Either mono or stereo (sends 1 or 2 or 1-2). Mono input would suffice for guitar recordings.
6. Record arm both tracks.
7. Hit Ctrl R to start recording
8. Rock out!

-monkey-

Gear: AMD Athlon 3200 / M-Audio Oxygen 64 / Line6 POD Studio UX1 / M-Audio Studiophine AV40 / Korg PadKONTROL / Novation Nocturn / Ibanez Universe UV777 / Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus / REAPER!!!!!!
iamamonkeysoareyou is offline   Reply With Quote