Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Thalamus
Human being with feelings

Default Your thoughts on using the Project Bay to organise a library...

I am attempting to find the best way to use Reaper to both organise and search a large sample library held on disk.

The most fundamental option would be to properly name and organise this library at a disk level so that traversing and searching would be easier.
This is not currently very practical for me, so I am thinking about using the Project Bay to present the library to me in a better form than exists on-disk.

The Media Explorer is a nice tool but lacking in that organisation department. Only being able to create favorite folders seems limiting and to compound that you can only search and filter within the currently selected directory. So subdirs are not included.

Recently, I have been considering using the Project Bay to organise my samples. So creating folders and adding samples to them .. then adding comments to better describe the kind of sounds contained within them and using the filter 'by comment' to return lists that match.

Is it practical to use the Project Bay in this way, when we are talking about tens of thousands of sounds?
It seems that the Project Bay is more designed to be used for the sounds associated with, ah, the Project in hand... so I am initially cautious to use it for what would become a much larger database for general use.

Cheers
Thal

Last edited by Thalamus; 08-03-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Thalamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
bluzkat
Human being with feelings

You might want to take a looker at Revel Breezer.