Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
soundchaser59
Human being with feelings

Default Midi All On One, Or One Channel Per Track?

Do you record multiple midi channels all on one track, and just use the "filter by channel" option for editing?

Or do you put each midi channel on its own track?

Any pros / cons to doing it one way or the other? I assume Reaper will handle all of it with ease regardless if its all on one track or not.....
Old 06-26-2017, 12:43 AM   #2
brynolf

If I just put one vsti per track, there's not really any reason to bother with midi channels, since every channel is a "closed system" so the midi signal only affects that vsti.

If I do a multitibral setup, I have track templates with all the midi routing pre-made.

Messing around with midi filtering during composition or mix sounds cumbersome. Better to prepare in advance methinks.
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynolf View Post
If I just put one vsti per track, there's not really any reason to bother with midi channels, since every channel is a "closed system" so the midi signal only affects that vsti.

If I do a multitibral setup, I have track templates with all the midi routing pre-made.

Messing around with midi filtering during composition or mix sounds cumbersome. Better to prepare in advance methinks.
My plugin is multi-timbral. It will "hear" 16 midi channels, with a different timbre on each channel, and it has a built in mixer and built in fx. There is really no need to set it up as a multi-output device going to individual output channels for each timbre. All I need to do is record the incoming midi performance for each channel and get it to the plugin. I'm having trouble finding a compelling reason to record each midi channel on its own track. If I need to edit the midi, I can simply filter by channel on the piano scroll edit screen.

Is there any reason why I would not want to record all the channels on one track using the "midi overdub" recording type?
Old 06-27-2017, 01:37 AM   #4
slipstick

Wouldn't work at all for me because I use many different VSTis and I also prefer to choose the FX that I use on each and not rely just on what is available internally.

But if it suits you and your way of working I can't see any real problems. To me it seems messy having the MIDI for all instruments on a single track but if it works for you....

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #5
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Wouldn't work at all for me because I use many different VSTis and I also prefer to choose the FX that I use on each and not rely just on what is available internally.

But if it suits you and your way of working I can't see any real problems. To me it seems messy having the MIDI for all instruments on a single track but if it works for you....

Steve
I have since switched to putting each midi channel on its own track and routing each track to the "parent" track that has the instrument plugin. I made some editing mistakes that I was unable to recover from when I forgot to switch the filter to the midi channel I intended to work on. That's what got me to separate channels to individual tracks. I hate losing work due to pilot error.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #6
Beastmode Beats

Using one track is easier because you have direct access to all cc events for different channels directly in the midi editor. However, using multiple tracks is also advantageous if you prefer to have more control over automation, to be honest I prefer to do both, anytime you're serious about a sound or designing a sound, automation is key.
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote