Old 12-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
revbobuk
Human being with feelings

Default Best settings for render

Folks - I have reviewed older threads, but can't find anything directly relevant to the current version of Reaper.

I've mixed a large project - some 35 tracks, 20 individual 5-minute songs from a 32-track live recording - and now I want to render indvidual songs and tracks to stems - I believe I'm using the right term there - for someone else to finish work on.

But when I set my machine rendering - a 64-bit (only using the 32-bit version of Reaper, though) Core-i5 laptop, good speed, plenty of RAM - it doesn't seem to be working very fast. CPU activity barely hits 10%, and that only in brief spikes every 5 seconds. If I'm lucky, speed gets up to 0.1% realtime. And render time estimates for the whole file are in days.

I'm rendering to WAV files, working at the rate of the project (48kHz). Are there settings I should watch out for? This just seems impossibly slow. I've tried deleting temp files, just in case that's getting in the way.
revbobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
DVDdoug

Quote:
it doesn't seem to be working very fast. CPU activity barely hits 10%
Usually that means the CPU is not the bottleneck. I'd guess the limiting factor is your hard drive, with the read/write head jumping around and trying to read all those files at once.

If you have more than one drive, sometimes it helps if you read from one drive and render to another, and solid state drives can help too since there is no read/write head and therefor no seek time

Quote:
And render time estimates for the whole file are in days.
That seems kind-of long to me, but I don't mix 32-tracks so someone else can weigh-in on that.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
revbobuk

Default Drives

Thanks - that's useful information. My project files are on a hard drive, and I was rendering to USB flash drive - I'll try doing that differently, and see what happens.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
revbobuk

Default Resolved

Thanks - rendering to internal hard drive then copying to flash drive has sorted the issue - now rendering at 7-8x real time.