Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Lucian
Human being with feelings

Default DMP3 preamp question

I run 2 of these preamps into a delta-66 using condenser mics mostly.
It seems with the gain all the way off I am still getting a signal at -18 db coming into Reaper. Turning the gain up gradually seems to blend in a much warmer signal that eventually eclipses the -18 sound which is cold and somewhat thin. Is this normal? I am thinking the mics put out enough signal on their own without the preamp and the DMP3 gain knob only adds amplification but doesn't stop a strong enough existing signal from passing through.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Fran Guidry

Here's a link to the manual: http://www.m-audio.com/images/global...P3_UG_EN01.pdf

Quote:
DMP3 | User Guide
Hi/Lo Gain Switches

Two gain ranges are provided for the DMP3 preamps. The “Hi/Lo Gain” switch on the front panel is used to select between the two gain ranges, with the ‘Out’ position being the default.

The Hi/Lo Gain switch in the Out position is the “Hi Gain” range, while the ‘In’ position switches the DMP3 to the “Lo Gain” range. The gain range is considered to be from the beginning to the end of the Gain Adjustment Knob’s travel from left to right. In the Out, or Hi Gain position, the DMP3 preamp of the corresponding channel will provide 32dB to 66dB of gain using either the microphone inputs or the 1/4” high impedance instrument inputs. In the In, or Lo Gain position, the DMP3 preamp (of the corresponding channel) will provide 6dB to 40dB of gain using the microphone or 1/4”
high impedance instrument inputs.
So even in Lo Gain the DMP3 never goes below 6 dB of gain. Your observation is correct except for your interpretation of the frequency response difference. Most likely the thin quality you're hearing is due to the Fletcher-Munson effect, the non-linearity of our hearing.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Lucian

Thanks for the info, Fran, and more importantly the analysis. Now I understand