Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Lucian
Human being with feelings

Default Keep loosing floating transport behind mixer window

Greetings! This has sort of an annoyed me for awhile and I am resigned to <cntl-alt-T> twice to get the transport back on top. I use a 2 monitor system with the mixer filling the right monitor. I have tried to get used to keeping the transport docked but just hate scrolling all the way back over to the left monitor to get at. So the transport floats as I like dragging it around so it is always near what I am working on. The problem is if I have a vst or something big open on the left monitor, I will drag the transport over to the right while I work. If a level change is required, I click on a mixer fader/solo/mute/send level,etc and bam! the transport disappears behind the mixer. Is there a setting to keep the transport always on top? If not, is there a feature request for this so I can go +1 it? Does anyone else love a floating transport and have suggestions?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
DarkStar

Perhaps you could make the mixer a little smaller, resizing the window to reduce the height slightly. Then put the transport bar in its own window underneath it:

[img]http://img188.**************/img188/3397/r3102dsfullmixer2.png[/img]
Old 08-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Lucian

I will give that a try but I expect for me, it will be as bad as just leaving the transport docked. Still, this is worth trying. I already moved the windows task bar to the right monitor and resized the mixer so I always see it (mostly so I can see the time and can keep track of how many hours I am wasting haha)

Edit: actually I wonder if, since it is always visible, at least the space bar will always stay active which would totally work for me then. Thanks for the idea! A girl I see is coming over so I cannot check and must finish cleaning!!!!

I think it would be cool if priorities could be assigned to different windows, for example, the mixer and midi keyboard = 0: low priority so always on the bottom and the transport and IO dialogs = 5: High priority so always on top. Other windows like vst chains and stuff = 3: in the middle.

Thanks for the screen shot and reply It is amazing how much workflow is personal and somethings are fine with people and for others, blaspemy! and totally unacceptable. I realize this issue is quite minor but since everything works great as is for me in Reaper, this is my only nitpick

Last edited by Lucian; 08-22-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
bullshark

But why do you need the transport so much? I mean, when I work I don't touch the transport, except for the rare time when I need a precise time selection; I mean, play/stop is that large "spacebar" right in the middle of the keyboard, CTRL+R is record(I mapped that to "r"), "enter" for play/pause, "home" and "end" for beginning/end of project... It's so much faster when you don't have to leave what is it you're doing to access simple transport function, I thought everybody worked this way. Unless you're doing stuff I didn't think of?

Last edited by bullshark; 08-22-2009 at 06:41 PM.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote