Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
Document02
Human being with feelings

Default Any TC Konnekt line Fabrik R users around?

I have a studio konnekt 48, with integrated Fabrik reverb, that can be run either from a VST plugin or directly in the box's mixer.

Here is what I am experiencing, and I'd like to know if anyone has experienced the same issues and/or found a solution.

At some point in the past, I did manage to get the Fabrik VST to work fine, finding it worked best when running as a separate process.
However, I am now experiencing random CPU munching from it. Basically the plugin can use either 2-4% or 15-20% CPU as reported by Repaer performance pannel.
In the first case it runs smoothly, while in the second it glitches all around (muting the reverb track solves it, so it definitely come from that plugin).
My problem is that I can run Reaper 10 times in a row, and can find no consistent explanation concerning the difference in behavior. It just seems sometimes the VST works, and sometimes it doesn't.

For the sake of clarity am running Reaper 3.4 with Klinke's MCU and Padre_PC's Novation plugins.
The computer's a 3GHz intel quadcore under win7, nothing else is running in the background (except antivirus and Novation Automap).
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
bigtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Document02 View Post
I have a studio konnekt 48, with integrated Fabrik reverb, that can be run either from a VST plugin or directly in the box's mixer.

Here is what I am experiencing, and I'd like to know if anyone has experienced the same issues and/or found a solution.

At some point in the past, I did manage to get the Fabrik VST to work fine, finding it worked best when running as a separate process.
However, I am now experiencing random CPU munching from it. Basically the plugin can use either 2-4% or 15-20% CPU as reported by Repaer performance pannel.
In the first case it runs smoothly, while in the second it glitches all around (muting the reverb track solves it, so it definitely come from that plugin).
My problem is that I can run Reaper 10 times in a row, and can find no consistent explanation concerning the difference in behavior. It just seems sometimes the VST works, and sometimes it doesn't.

For the sake of clarity am running Reaper 3.4 with Klinke's MCU and Padre_PC's Novation plugins.
The computer's a 3GHz intel quadcore under win7, nothing else is running in the background (except antivirus and Novation Automap).
i have set the studio konnekt up on my mac book pro and have run the fabrik r as a plugin. i put the plugin on a bus track and then set up sends/rtn to the gtr track in question. the gtr had already been recorded but using the fabrik r only in independent mode as an effect that i could monitor and 'play' to. the gtr track was therefore printed dry. the result of using a buss for the fabrik r sounded pretty sweet. when i inserted the fabrik r as a plugin directly onto the dry gtr track a delay was introduced between the gtr and the applied fx which did not sound good.

that's why i used the buss approach.

tc know about this and suggest that you use the reverb as a plugin at the time of recording but i have not yet had time to do this.

i know from your previous posts that you had issues with tc and i hope that your studio konnekt is behaving well for you....i am so far, pleased with mine but of course i am running in the mac osx environment so my comments may be of little use.

good luck
Old 05-20-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
Document02

When running as a DAW plugin, the delay issue is something that can't be avoided though (audio must go back and forth between the SK48 & the computer).

Since my last post I had an answer from TC support, basically Fabrik plugin will only work with (very) high latency ... Problem is solved when running 1024 samples buffer @ 44.1kHz samplerate. Makes the Fabrik a good final reverb, but makes it rather unusable as a working reverb during recording/composing.

Finally I try to use as little plugin as possible during recording, trying to keep my sources clean and options open for later audio modification. I guess that depends on the way you work, for some it is OK to have the plugin run in internal mode & record the modified audio signal... I don't feel at ease working this way.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
awol9000

Quote:
nothing else is running in the background (except antivirus and Novation Automap).
try disabling your antivirus

I had (and still do) have problems with TC plug ins. I stopped using them.
awol9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
bigtop

Quote:
Makes the Fabrik a good final reverb, but makes it rather unusable as a working reverb during recording/composing.

Finally I try to use as little plugin as possible during recording, trying to keep my sources clean and options open for later audio modification. I guess that depends on the way you work, for some it is OK to have the plugin run in internal mode & record the modified audio signal... I don't feel at ease working this way.
when RECORDING with fabrik r in internal mode using the tc konnekt, the fx is sent WITHIN the tc konnekt from the inst line in jack to the fabrik r return (on the mixer page in the TC NEAR window)...ALL WITHIN THE KONNEKT...but you HEAR it nice (because you have the phones listening to the main mix) so it's a great help to compose. THE FABRIK R NEVER LEAVES THE KONNEKT (see the block diagram in the user manual) It is only plugin fx which get printed as you record (same page on the manual)

the actual track is PRINTED into reaper WITHOUT the fabrik r. SO during recording you get to HEAR a great sounding reverb with no latency (because you either mute the reaper track or leave the monitor input while recording box UNCHECKED) but the RESULT IS PRINTED DRY.

now of course you wish to hear exactly that again in playback so you run fabrik r in plugin mode and....you get a dreadful latency nightmare...with a horrible delay...right?

WAY TO PUT IT RIGHT...as i see it

insert fabrik r plugin mode on another track then send/return the fx from the gtr (say) track to the fabrik r track until you get that same sweet result as you had during monitoring. now record that result onto another track (perhaps labelled gtr wet..say) and you are in the money...you can now remove the fabrik r plugin if you wish or bypass or whatever to save cpu.

remember, reverb is pretty much always used as send/return like all delay based fx...it is an EFFECT not a PROCESSOR. processors are designed to process the entire signal and so are used as straight plugins whereas an effect is designed to be mixed with the dry signal, hence send/rtn. the tc people know this and the explanation given in the konnekt manual is a bit misleading i think.

sorry if i was thinking out loud there

good luck

those tc reverbs are real sweet.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
Document02

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol9000 View Post
try disabling your antivirus
Already tried that, doesn't change. (which is somehow reassuring as I like having an antivirus running).
Old 05-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
Document02

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
when RECORDING with fabrik r in internal mode using the tc konnekt, the fx is sent WITHIN the tc konnekt from the inst line in jack to the fabrik r return (on the mixer page in the TC NEAR window)...ALL WITHIN THE KONNEKT...but you HEAR it nice (because you have the phones listening to the main mix) so it's a great help to compose. THE FABRIK R NEVER LEAVES THE KONNEKT (see the block diagram in the user manual) It is only plugin fx which get printed as you record (same page on the manual)
I hear you, problem is that I most often have line effects on the signal before sending to the reverb so that solution won't work for me. (I -almost- always use the reverb as a send effect, and when I need a reverb as a line effect for heavy audio processing I use glaceverb or a DP4 reverb, not the TC).

When Running in internal mode, I thought the fabrik were recorded though, that was a nice tip which might come up useful later on.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
bigtop

Quote:
I hear you, problem is that I most often have line effects on the signal before sending to the reverb so that solution won't work for me. (I -almost- always use the reverb as a send effect, and when I need a reverb as a line effect for heavy audio processing I use glaceverb or a DP4 reverb, not the TC).

When Running in internal mode, I thought the fabrik were recorded though, that was a nice tip which might come up useful later on.
Glaceverb also real nice.

For that matter, even when using TC Fabrik in Plugin mode, the FX is still ONLY generated INSIDE the TC Konnekt so bound to get latency....but Glaceverb generated in the Computer so can get away with latency but not if you try to use it when monitoring a vox with reverb during recording.