Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
KeithC
Human being with feelings

Default Do you use a Scarlett interface? (Other than the 8i6) I need help with my 18i20,

The Scarlett line of interfaces, with the exception of the 8i6 have no "Loopback" feature. I am trying to review some guitar stompbox effects, using backing tracks, but without the Loopback, I can't figure out how to get the tracks into Reaper, and monitor them. A Focusrite tech told me I could physically route the audio from the monitor outs,(output 1&2), but what she told me did not work, and she didn't mention how to monitor anything while using 1 & 2 as a physical output to a set of inputs. I started another thread about this, and tried most of the answers, but I don't think they were from Scarlett users. I feel there must be a very simple solution, but I've tried just about everything, and have only managed to almost blow my monitors a couple of times. I have a request for a solution in at Focusrite again, but haven't heard back yet, so anyone who has conquered this problem, please speak up. It would be a HUGE help for inputting every day sounds into my songs, like the clocks in "Time" by Pink Floyd.

Thanks, Keith
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #2
KeithC

115 views, and no replies? Wassup folks? It's a relevant question, I figure someone must know the answer. Focusrite's answer has been less than adequate, and I figured someone out there has a Scarlett interface, and has figured out a simple way to record sounds from the PC's output back into Reaper.

Peace, KC
Old 07-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
hopi

don't have the 18i20 here and the one at friends studio is off for repairs

however I ran into the same issue with the profire 2626
my other older m-audio interfaces all have that lovely loopback and I got used to using it when needed... shoot.

the profire does not have it... @$%%@$@& why not you bastards?

so to make it fast and easy for me, I simply have a cable that is a stereo 1/4" jack on one end and then splits to two 1/4" mono jacks on the other end.

I put the stereo into one of the two headphone outs on the front panel, each has its own vol. control... and plug the two mono jacks into inputs 1 and 2, also on the front panel, each with it's own gain control.

It is fast to set up and works OK.

As I recall the 18i20 is set up very much the same so you should be able to do the same... radio shack has those cables... get a short one!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
KeithC

Thanks again Hopi. I already bought that very cable because I knew that it would likely be part of the solution. I don't know why I didn't try using the phone outs, it's a great idea, and I started to try it, but stopped because I was afraid of another feedback loop, like I experienced when I tried the Focusrite techs solution. I bet it will work fine, I just needed a push from someone with experience! And that you definitely have!!!

As usual, Thank you Hopi. Keith
Old 10-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
don't have the 18i20 here and the one at friends studio is off for repairs
Hopi, do you think they're worth buying? What's wrong with your friend's unit?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
Tejasmed

Default So far no help getting Reaper midi monitor sound to record out of Reaper

I have Reaper...latest version... I have Scarlett 18i8 with the latest download of Scarlett Mix control.
I can listen to the midi out put with my ear phones routed through Scarlett.
But, I cannot seem to get the routing map so I can use the monitored sound of the Reaper midi to go through Scarlett mixer and be seen and used by the Win 7 sound system.
My mics will record in video or audio recording programs. I can play a video or an audio in my computer and it can be recorded on a video and sound capture device. But, I cannot route Reaper midi out thru Scarlett so it can be recorded...
Yes, you can record in Reaper...then play it out as a rendered file.... But, I want to play live, and use the Reaper midi output with effects to be recorded in video and audio programs.
Has anyone actually been able to record thru Scarlett the midi output of Reaper? Scarlett folks have been no help on this...only give vague answers about DAW settings that do not make sense.
Is there a step by step PDF or an explanation of how to set the paths out of Reaper MIDI monitor to go thru Scarlett. Remember...I can hear the out put on my ear phones of the midi monitor...
It will bounce the bars in Scarlett. Just it will not be recognized as being able to be used by Scarlett input as shown in my Win 7 sound controls in and out.
Any help?
Tejasmed is offline   Reply With Quote