Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
tgraph
Human being with feelings

Default drum sequencing inside Reaper

It seems this is possible. I have used FL Studio in the past and had pretty good results with their step sequencer. Is there a resource for getting started with this in Reaper? Down at a basic startup level. Noobie question here. I'm having a great time with Reaper, but have never generated sound from within. Thanks for any help.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
SmoothBro

Try the baby_mega_sequencer. You will find it in the JS folder when you hit the fx button on the tab.

Here is the thread that provides lots of info on how to work it.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=130590

You will need a drum sampler. I use Reasamplomatic5000 and sometimes Shortcircuit. Place the sequencer before the sampler.
SmoothBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #3
tgraph

thanks. It's a start.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
V'ger

Load a sampler (there are free ones like for example TX16Wx) on a track, fill the sampler with drum audio samples, then use Reaper's piano roll to write the drum sequence.

To get started with piano roll, first make a MIDI item in Reaper's track panel (the arrange window) by holding down ctrl while dragging somewhere in the timeline on an empty track. Then double-click that item to get at piano roll.

To make the most of piano roll, I recommend you get to grips with Reaper's mouse modifiers. (in the MIDI editor window go to the menu and select it in: Options > MIDI editor mouse modifiers)

The advantage of fiddling with mouse modifiers is that you can have Reaper make a note and length by a single-click-drag which is fantastic. Then single-click the notes to delete them etc.
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
The novice

I used the piano roll myself for the first yesterday. Its great. But the only issue i have is i find it a it too small and i could see how to enlarge it
Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #6
DarkStar

^^^^
Double-click the (undocked) MIDI Editor title bar to make it full screen. Then click the [+] buttons in the bottom-right corner of the piano roll.

Or did you mean something-else?
Old 07-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
The novice

No thats what i meant. Cheers for that. Ill have a look at that tomorrow when im next at the pc.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
FraternalHouse

Default TX16Wx Distorts Sound Quality of Drum Samples

Quote:
Originally Posted by V'ger View Post
Load a sampler (there are free ones like for example TX16Wx) on a track, fill the sampler with drum audio samples, then use Reaper's piano roll to write the drum sequence.

To get started with piano roll, first make a MIDI item in Reaper's track panel (the arrange window) by holding down ctrl while dragging somewhere in the timeline on an empty track. Then double-click that item to get at piano roll.

To make the most of piano roll, I recommend you get to grips with Reaper's mouse modifiers. (in the MIDI editor window go to the menu and select it in: Options > MIDI editor mouse modifiers)

The advantage of fiddling with mouse modifiers is that you can have Reaper make a note and length by a single-click-drag which is fantastic. Then single-click the notes to delete them etc.
The sound quality of a drum sample in the Reaper's piano Roll via Tx16Wx is terrible. Is there a work around to maintain the same sound quality as the original drum sample (before it was placed into TX16Wx)? I am utilizing the free version of Tx16Wx.
FraternalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraternalHouse View Post
The sound quality of a drum sample in the Reaper's piano Roll via Tx16Wx is terrible. Is there a work around to maintain the same sound quality as the original drum sample (before it was placed into TX16Wx)? I am utilizing the free version of Tx16Wx.
I would suggest that the bad sound is not the Tx16Wx itself but more like a bad setting, programming issue, or something like that.

I haven't used the Tx16Wx very much but I've never seen it change the sound of the samples.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
tgraph

thanks for all of the help here. this is complicated to get started in.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
V'ger

Yes like Tod says, a setting must have changed in TX16Wx to alter the sample sound I guess.

I know samplers can be complicated at first and especially if you're new to Reaper too, so here is a project template with TX16Wx loaded up with drum samples and a MIDI track so you can see it working and use as a base if you like.

To change samples in TX16Wx, just highlight one you want to change in the keyboard area and hit delete, then from TX16Wx's file browser on the left there, select the new sample, hold down alt and drag/drop it over onto the key (the key itself, not the space above it).

Last edited by V'ger; 07-22-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
FraternalHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by V'ger View Post
Yes like Tod says, a setting must have changed in TX16Wx to alter the sample sound I guess.

I know samplers can be complicated at first and especially if you're new to Reaper too, so here is a track template with TX16Wx loaded up with drum samples and a MIDI track so you can see it working and use as a base if you like.

To change samples in TX16Wx, just highlight one you want to change in the keyboard area and hit delete, then from TX16Wx's file browser on the left there, select the new sample, hold down alt and drag/drop it over.
Thanks for your empirical perspective. I appreciate it. I have a Mac laptop
are the files on the template for Windows or OS X. Thanks
FraternalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
V'ger

Cheers. Yes it should work on a Mac too as TX16WX is cross platform and all the effects used are Reaper stock ones.

You will of course need to install TX16Wx on your system first.

But about the track template I posted earlier, I see the samples were not included properly, so I put up a project template where they are. Try that instead.