Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
LarsCB
Human being with feelings

Default Installing 64 bit and 32 bit REAPER on the same computer?

Hello!

I'm currently on an evaluation license (I'll be purchasing it come friday and my paycheck), and I'm fooling around with the venerable old Oatmeal VST. After repeatedly crashing the REAPER container-thingamabob I did some research and found info to the effect that using 32-bit VSTs in 64-bit REAPER might lead to problems. Sooooo, yeah.

Now then: what are your points of view regarding installing both versions of REAPER, so that problem-free projects (i.e. non-crashing VSTs) can receive the full benefit of my 64 bit system, while other projects (for instance with Oatmeal) can be developed in the 32 bit version?

Oh, and is it even allowed license-wise?

Best regards,
Lars
LarsCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsCB View Post
Hello!

I'm currently on an evaluation license (I'll be purchasing it come friday and my paycheck), and I'm fooling around with the venerable old Oatmeal VST. After repeatedly crashing the REAPER container-thingamabob I did some research and found info to the effect that using 32-bit VSTs in 64-bit REAPER might lead to problems. Sooooo, yeah.

Now then: what are your points of view regarding installing both versions of REAPER, so that problem-free projects (i.e. non-crashing VSTs) can receive the full benefit of my 64 bit system, while other projects (for instance with Oatmeal) can be developed in the 32 bit version?

Oh, and is it even allowed license-wise?

Best regards,
Lars
I installed the 64-bit Reaper as normal. Then I installed a 32-bit version using the "portable" option. It's just in a folder on my desktop. License works for both of my installs, though I haven't checked to see if that is allowed yet.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Zblogny

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I installed the 64-bit Reaper as normal. Then I installed a 32-bit version using the "portable" option. It's just in a folder on my desktop. License works for both of my installs, though I haven't checked to see if that is allowed yet.
A portable install is not mandatory : I have 64-bit and 32-bit Reaper installed both as normal, the 32-bit version is automatically installed in Program Files (X86) and does not interfere with 64-bit version.
Zblogny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
LarsCB

Nice to know, thank you both!

Best regards,
Lars
LarsCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
bluzkat

Just remember when installing both 32 bit and 64 bit Reaper... they will share the configuration file. If that is a problem for you then use a portable install for one or both versions.

As for the licensing question... you are allowed to have as many copies of Reaper as you need, but you can only use only one copy at a time. For example, you have Reaper installed on two computers, that's okay as long as you are only using one of them at a time.

Read the license, its pretty straight forward.