Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
DonaldM
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and VST3 Compatibility

I primarily use Reaper from within Pro Tools (PT 10.3) via Rewire. This enables me to use several of my VST plugins and VI's that don't sit well with PT even when wrapped with the FXpansion VST-RTAS wrapper. This will be even more problematic once I upgrade to the new PT 11 because RTAS will be no more as everything goes AAX. This will make Reaper even more crucial in my set-up. I'm hopeful one day we'll have some kind of VST to AAX wrapper. Even so, being able to use Reason and Reaper inside PT via Rewire is amazing and I love it.

Now, to the issue at hand. My main MIDI keyboard is the Yamaha Motif XS8. There is a nice XS editor that comes in VST3 format as well as standalone. FXpansion won't wrap VST3 anything. I've tried to get the VST version of the XS editor into Reaper, but no go. I think its because it is in VST3 format. So, I'm asking 2 things: 1) Is Reaper not capable of using VST3 format plugins? and 2)Is there a possibility of this being addressed in a future upgrade of Reaper? What I would LOVE to be able to do is bring up my XS editor inside Reaper just like any other VI and edit and audition on the fly, just as I do now with everything else I use in Reaper via Rewire. If I could bring up the editor that way in Reaper, I see no reason why it wouldn't work as well as anything else I do with Reaper inside Pro Tools.

Can someone enlighten me on this? Thanks!
DonaldM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
DonaldM

Anyone?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I'm hopeful one day we'll have some kind of VST to AAX wrapper.
According to the CEO of FXPansion it's technically possible but not likely due to another company who created an AAX wrapper last year being served a cease and desist letter from AVID, and pulling the product.

I'd say this is where "slim" & his good buddy "none" usually show up and hug each other, with the tiny space in-between them being the relative chance of that happening.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
DonaldM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
According to the CEO of FXPansion it's technically possible but not likely due to another company who created an AAX wrapper last year being served a cease and desist letter from AVID, and pulling the product.

I'd say this is where "slim" & his good buddy "none" usually show up and hug each other, with the tiny space in-between them being the relative chance of that happening.
That was Sugar Bytes that created the TransVST Vst-AAX wrapper. The issue was a licensing issue for the AAX format. I'm not convinced it'll never happen and I think AVID will create some kind of agreement. But I think they want to get PT 11 out first.

But that's not the essence of what I'm asking about. What I really want to know is can I run a VST3 in Reaper?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
What I really want to know is can I run a VST3 in Reaper?
No, Reaper doesn't support VST3 at this time. It is one of my main feature requests. As for whether they will add VST3 support eventually, some people like to speculate but Cockos haven't said one way or another.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Cockos haven't said one way or another.
Yes they have, back when people where first asking for this, and it was going to be the next big thing that could do so so much, Justin said if it becomes popular it would get implemented, It didn't and it hasn't
Old 04-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
DonaldM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Yes they have, back when people where first asking for this, and it was going to be the next big thing that could do so so much, Justin said if it becomes popular it would get implemented, It didn't and it hasn't
Thanks for the replies! Not the answer I wanted, but it is what it is!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
darjama

I haven't tried this, but VSTHost runs VST3 plugins, and can be run in slave mode via the Legree vsti. Check it out here:

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Give me a break.

Justin's comment was over five years ago, on Jan 22, 2008. Here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2913423

I would argue that it has become popular. Half the major DAWs support it and more and more plugins implement features that require VST3.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote