Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Mudchild
Human being with feelings

Default no 'chase MIDI events'?

hey all

is there any equivalent in Reaper to Cubendo's 'chase MIDI events' options?

I've recorded some midi control data with the mod wheel on this Absynth part, changing the sound from, say, A to B half way through a passage.

If I playback the part with the control data, so the sound changes to B, then skip back to before the change, the sound remains as B, even though I want it to be A before the change.

This is despite the fact that I recorded some B->A change data at the beginning of the track (in an attempt to reset the sound to A as default). Cubase would chase back to the beginning of the track and implement any control data without having to play through it. Does Reaper not do this as yet?

Thanks

Mud
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Mudchild

And another little question - is there any way, in the MIDI editor, to automatically find out what MIDI control data is stored in a part? seems to me there could be all manner of data hidden in many of the 100+ midi controllers, but you wouldn't know it was there by clicking in the dropdown in the controller lane... Cubase puts an asterisk by any of the controllers which contain data.

I know I can look in the list editor to check, but it would be handy to be able to automatically display or indicate which lanes are populated...

Reaper still rules though!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
jm duchenne

I agree to both request
jm duchenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
xackley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudchild View Post
And another little question - is there any way, in the MIDI editor, to automatically find out what MIDI control data is stored in a part? seems to me there could be all manner of data hidden in many of the 100+ midi controllers, but you wouldn't know it was there by clicking in the dropdown in the controller lane... Cubase puts an asterisk by any of the controllers which contain data.

I know I can look in the list editor to check, but it would be handy to be able to automatically display or indicate which lanes are populated...

Reaper still rules though!
I keep looking at the big square below the keyboard, to the left of the velocity, and thinking, why isn't there a list box of Used CC there.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

The CC chase does work, however it appears if there is no CC event near the start, it won't reset it. So set the CC to the initial value in the clip and it should work.

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 AM   #6
Mudchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The CC chase does work, however it appears if there is no CC event near the start, it won't reset it. So set the CC to the initial value in the clip and it should work.

-Justin

OK - will give that a try, thankyou!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
tweed

IS it possible to chase program changes?

I'm wanting to have program changes occur SIMPLY by changing marker positions AND then IF there's a program change before the marker it would be VERY cool to have that change invoked!

possible???

planned???

thanks!!!!!
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweed View Post
IS it possible to chase program changes?

I'm wanting to have program changes occur SIMPLY by changing marker positions AND then IF there's a program change before the marker it would be VERY cool to have that change invoked!

possible???

planned???

thanks!!!!!
I'm frustrated by this now..... chase midi events is important.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I'm frustrated by this now..... chase midi events is important.
Go to Preferences>Audio>MIDI devices. Uncheck Reset CC, that might do what you want.

Humm, after reading closer maybe not, sorry.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Go to Preferences>Audio>MIDI devices. Uncheck Reset CC, that might do what you want.

Humm, after reading closer maybe not, sorry.
Thank you.. I've just realized that it is only when paused or stopped that my program changes are not sent if I change time position without playing... as soon as I hit play it works.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
heda

I still think MIDI Chase should happen when changing cursor position stopped. Not only when playing.

Am I the only one?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #12
deepdjdanny

Quote:
I still think MIDI Chase should happen when changing cursor position stopped. Not only when playing.

Am I the only one?
Nope, you're NOT the only one.
I think it should be an option... and an action... I'm still new to reaper & still trying to comprehend MIDI & it's CC's like expression and breath control... so i haven't studied if any of the things I'm suggesting are already possible or not.
I'd need options for the different kinds of cursor uses/desires... also the action(s) and mouse modifier(s) that toggle on or off whether things like a cursor click is to MIDI chase or not. Definitely clicking to get program changes happening while project isn't playing would be a good thing.

Same goes for markers and regions; particularly in regard to the cycle-chase scenario. I'm getting many midi note hangs when the region player is doing it's proper thing by running through a list of varied regions/markers... but there doesn't seem to be a provision that i know about to CURE & PREVENT the hung notes, or to put a stop to the the glitched audible little gap/jitter between the region changes. Maybe i need to investigate the extensions; marker & region actions.
Am trying the 5.17 version, & experimenting with the preferences; midi settings... like stopping midi notes and resetting CC's to something.

Perhaps this:
''The CC chase does work, however it appears if there is no CC event near the start, it won't reset it. So set the CC to the initial value in the clip and it should work.''...
How about please; RAPIDly, that the Rapid Enviroment for Audio Engineering and Recording has options that just does this for us automatically and most definitely when using stuff like:
1. Region Playlist playing...
2. Cursor Clicking...
3. Stopping & Pausing & Re-commencing play of transport...
4. DJ'ing...
please
deepdjdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
Dstruct

Quote:
Agreed (also on Pause).

Last edited by Dstruct; 04-04-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote