Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #361
pattste
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialRich View Post
No thanks!
I admire what they have done but I've tried them and I didn't like how they worked for me,
and here we have the issue of personal preference!

Although I see there have been some updates since I tried them a year or so ago so i might give them another go out of interest...
I also use ReaMenus. Two things:

1) You can choose to append the default menus at the bottom, which is useful if you can't find something in ReaMenus but are used to the regular menus.

2) If they were to make something like ReaMenus the default, they could always have a "Classic" menu for old-timers. This is a great advantage that Reaper has over many competitors, advanced customization capabilities.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #362
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
There's many things I can think of. One that comes immediately to mind though is a WYSIWYG editor for WALTER.
Yes! +1
Also another walter related request: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3723
Old 08-27-2014, 04:05 AM   #363
who1981

Default SPECTRO

I'd love to see spectrographic/spectrogram audio items as an option (in addition to waveform), you could see notes, frequency content, and beats much easier. Not just a squiggle that represents voltage/speaker movement.

Here's an OLD mockup I made:
who1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:55 AM   #364
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Yes! +1
Also another walter related request: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3723
Great suggestion! Just added my +1 vote.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #365
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Yes! +1
Oh... i can't wait when this will be implemented.
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #366
Nystagmus

Default Pre-FX potentiometers

Pre-FX channel input trims, preferably little tiny knobs with precision input levels (perhaps with direct data entry) similar to a hardware console... that would be nice. When I need to turn down what's flowing into a ton of VST effect chains on all channels, the channel faders are of no use currently (but the automation pre-FX volume is okay...).

Otherwise I voted for the Post-Fader FX slots which can accomplish the same thing.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #367
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Pre-FX channel input trims, preferably little tiny knobs with precision input levels (perhaps with direct data entry) similar to a hardware console... that would be nice. When I need to turn down what's flowing into a ton of VST effect chains on all channels, the channel faders are of no use currently (but the automation pre-FX volume is okay...).

Otherwise I voted for the Post-Fader FX slots which can accomplish the same thing.
I know exactly why you want this but I think it's a bit clutter. Really one uses their pre-amp to come in to the right levels and if that isn't loud enough compared to other tracks the other tracks should be brought down to the same level. There's also volume JS plugin you can put before your FX.
There is also clip gain so for e.g. you can double click the track header and then adjust clip gain for all items at once in proportion, essentially this is what you want only with a double-click before it. It's to be debated whether this is better or not since if you move the items around to other tracks they will be the same volume, whereas with an input gain knob the items would become louder/quieter when moved to other tracks. I personally would prefer them to remain the same. Although it's not 'cool' for the workflow of proper gain staging to be forced on us, it's got really good merits for it's use.

I guess this would boil down to another option in the growing options menu as to whether an input gain is displayed or not. I certainly would like to not display it if it was available.

edit: I should elaborate, proper gain staging within the DAW holds more value than just FX in/out balance. There is also the visual aspect of all the peaks on a track properly representing the actual volume being sent to the master. If I adjust volumes using clip gain only and ensure that in/out to FX are the same volume, then my arrange view is 1:1 representative of the scale of audio in all tracks in proportion to other tracks. If I were to skew this with input gain or unbalanced FX the audio wave forms no longer serve any purpose past 'here be audio' and 'here not be audio'.

I don't really rely much on it however I have found myself looking for that sorta thing when I come back to a project after some time. It really helps to see where things are at. I find it annoying when all the peaks are at the same places in the arrange and yet I am not hearing certain tracks because they are too quiet and if I come back to a project after a long time, there's a chance I may even forget that track exists for some time before I catch it.

Last edited by Fergler; 08-27-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #368
BobF

How 'bout ASIO device aggregation in Reaper since Windows will obviously never do it?

I could eliminate a bit of audio cabling if I could actually use the USB ports on some of this stuff
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #369
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
How 'bout ASIO device aggregation in Reaper since Windows will obviously never do it?

I could eliminate a bit of audio cabling if I could actually use the USB ports on some of this stuff
I still haven't fully recovered after using CoreAudio on mac and then switching to Windows. I never knew it would be this bad. I miss being able to use my Tascam box at the same time as a USB Blue microphone that I quite like.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #370
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I still haven't fully recovered after using CoreAudio on mac and then switching to Windows. I never knew it would be this bad. I miss being able to use my Tascam box at the same time as a USB Blue microphone that I quite like.
I have a GT-001 and a THR that have USB cables connected for using control apps, but I have to use audio cables to connect them to my R24, because it is THE USB audio device configured for Reaper.

I *could* use the THR as the Reaper device if I wanted to monitor thru it, but no such option for the GT-001.

Folks have reported success aggregating with ASIO4ALL, but I'm not among them.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #371
bezza

Be nice to to be able to vary the font sizes (and indeed the font itself) in Project Settings Notes area...but otherwise I love REAPER.
bezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #372
Icchan

When I consider that there's a HUGE amount of unimplemented feature requests, some of them from 2009 and counting, that have gotten huge amount of votes and would really improve reapers UI or essential feature set, I'm pretty cynical on these "what's for reaper version X" threads.

If they've had 4+ years to implement something very simple and small that would make reaper ten times more usable, and they haven't despite repeated requests by many, I have my doubts that they would do anything that we ask of them for version 5.

They seem have their own agenda and what direction they want to steer the program. Currently Cockos has a lack of employees, they have 2 or 3 people working on the program... we're not going to get much in terms of functionality or improvements if it continues like this.

As a software engineer, I know that DAW is not a simple program, it needs more people to work on it for developement to go efficiently, but not too much.

And for that to happen, Reaper might be too cheap.

Maybe we should ask them to implement all the unimplemented FR's from the past...5 years?

And call that reaper V6 for all I care.

At least it would be quantum leap and reaper would be really something that no other daw has in terms of functionality and UI.

Last edited by Icchan; 09-16-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #373
Lawrence

I'm of the opinion that Reaper 5 or 6 might actually surprise a lot of people, if the developers don't just get bored.

When you look at Reaper's performance, customization etc, etc, there's really not much more to do that users actually want there so ... unless they just get bored, I suspect other bigger things might be on the table. I doubt if they'd spend the next 4+ years doing a long series of small tweaks.

The last really kinda subjectively "big" feature I recall was stretch markers.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #374
ivansc

If you regard the laundry list of FRs still outstanding with HUGE numbers of votes as small tweaks I would love to see your idea of a major FR.
Just the requested improvements requested on the MIDI side alone would revolutionise Reaper (and incidentally bring it into line with just about every other quality DAW in terms of MIDI editing)

And that is JUST on MIDI.
Accepted that Reaper is usable for the most part as it is, but there are certain elements that really do need to be addressed sooner rather than later.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #375
Fergler

Area select + UI improvements, if nothing else comes from the tracker, would be nice to see for V5 (or sooner.. )
Old 09-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #376
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
If you regard the laundry list of FRs still outstanding with HUGE numbers of votes as small tweaks I would love to see your idea of a major FR.
Just the requested improvements requested on the MIDI side alone would revolutionise Reaper (and incidentally bring it into line with just about every other quality DAW in terms of MIDI editing)

And that is JUST on MIDI.
Accepted that Reaper is usable for the most part as it is, but there are certain elements that really do need to be addressed sooner rather than later.
Well, big would be ... big. Area selection would be pretty big. For Reaper, an inspector would be big. Overhauling automation would be big (competing more with PT in that regard). I mean, there's a lot of FR's in there but some are bigger than others. VCA's, VCA groups like PT's, would be really big.

A couple of big changes like that probably equal many dozens of small tweaks or changes. Not that small changes aren't good, they are, but big changes (based on FR's, good changes) tend to be more impactful. So yeah, if they hit 2-3-4 really big things in a major update, that would probably surprise a few people.

Changing the UI in a major way is probably completely off the table for a v4-5. Stuff like that usually doesn't happen (if it will happen) that early. All the ones that did it did it years later when their UI's were becoming obviously kinda dated.

Cubase is easing into their next UI change a little bit at a time, where before, they jumped directly into a whole new UI paradigm with the SX series. Same with Cakewalk Pro Audio jumping directly to Sonar and the old Logic jumping directly to the newer Logic UI.

Last edited by Lawrence; 09-14-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #377
foxAsteria

lots of small improvements would be huge.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #378
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
lots of small improvements would be huge.
Yeah, it's subjective. Little stuff does matter but larger stuff has more impact. Like multi-midi was a big update and (imo, mmv) it had a lot of impact on overall workflow.

It's probably the case that most don't care as long as there is progress I suppose.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #379
typewriter

I'd like some more love for Reamote.

And I'd like to see more midi ports for Reaper in Rewire slave mode. 16 midi channels for Rewire are more than basic...
The midi busses are already there. Can't be brainsurgery.
typewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #380
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Yeah, it's subjective. Little stuff does matter but larger stuff has more impact. Like multi-midi was a big update and (imo, mmv) it had a lot of impact on overall workflow.

It's probably the case that most don't care as long as there is progress I suppose.
in the past, when we get large stuff, we still spend years ironing out the quirks and the lack of refinement in reaper is what i generally see the most criticism for (and i agree). anyone using reaper now is using it for its current features, not some big changes that *might* come down the road. so yea, subjectively i can hardly imagine anything huger than getting rid of all the little snags and painful workarounds for the existing feature set.

it's just a headache to me to think of more big incomplete features getting in the way of getting what's already there in order. if your refrigerator is full of rotten food do you just pile new food on top of it or clean it first?

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-15-2014 at 11:47 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #381
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icchan View Post
When I consider that there's a HUGE amount of unimplemented feature requests, some of them from 2009 and counting, that have gotten huge amount of votes and would really improve reapers UI or essential feature set, I'm pretty cynical on these "what's for reaper version X" threads.

If they've had 4+ years to implement something very simple and small that would make reaper ten times more usable, and they haven't despite repeated requests by many, I have my doubts that they would do anything that we ask of them for version 5.

They seem have their own agenda and what direction they want to steer the program. Currently Cockos has a lack of employees, they have 2 or 3 people working on the program... we're not going to get much in terms of functionality or improvements if it continues like this.

As a software engineer, I know that DAW is not a simple program, it needs more people to work on it for developement to go efficiently, but not too much.

And for that to happen, Reaper might be too cheap.

Maybe we should ask them to implement all the unimplemented FR's from the past...5 years?

And call that reaper V6 for all I care.

At last it would be quantum leap and reaper would be really something that no other daw has in terms of functionality and UI.
When I first started using reaper they changed a number of things that I thought were pretty key, and that we were talking about on the forums.

I think the developers listen to us, and want to make an awesome reaper, but are also aware of the logistics of programming and the feasibility of changing certain things, and what needs to be changed exactly, in order to do it. I think they also have their own ideas of what they would like to do. For instance, WALTER wasn't really something people were talking about or requesting much, but they made it. And that is in line with the customizability of the software.

On the bigger releases I think they can do more, and they have more lengthy bigger changes in the works. More fundamental sort of ones.

Sometimes something small is actually complicated to program, and sometimes it might fall into something bigger that they might plan to build. Also, reaper is cheap, and built by a small team of individuals.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #382
foxAsteria

glad you brought up WALTER, that niche feature which is so incredibly useful but hardly anyone uses it. why? because it's a pita to learn and use. the customization features are really the only thing i think cockos needs to defer entirely to the community on since WE are the only ones using them! they need to be efficient and user-friendly. features like that are much more programmer-friendly and not all musicians are programmers or want to be.

most of the customization features are highly inefficient and cost the users more time than they ought to. reaper's known for its customization options so those features imo should be the most refined. for instance, why wasnt WALTER designed as drag and drop interface that anyone could use intuitively with predictable results? why dont the menu editor and custom action window get the obvious and relatively minor improvements which would make tweaking reaper a breeze instead of a chore?

i assume the answer is that the devs get more out of WALTER than we do so it's designed for programmers. the other customization options are a bit thrown together and the flaws don't seem to bother the devs at all. as tools they are not broken but the devs have no reason to ever use them so what's to fix?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 AM   #383
ProfRhino

to whom it may concern, I might have a slightly different perspective being new to Reaper (coming from Cubase).
I am very happy with Reaper so far, I'm fine as long as I can "custom build" my desired behaviour, Reaper is incredible with that (as well as the culture of helpfulness here in the forum). I'm also open for new and different workflow concepts, as long as they are efficient and fast.
A few central things however cannot be changed by tweaking and keep annoying me, so here are my current top 5 for #5 :

- keyboard focus / universal shortcuts / unified window behaviour / toggle options, these are all related somehow
- MIDI feedback to hardware controllers, so the controller always reflects the actual value of a mapped parameter, state of switches etc
- ARA support or a proprietary integrated solution a la Variaudio in Cubase
- improved, interactive display of information, e.g like Cubase's info line, improved larger locator displays, grid value boxes in the main window - easy to do, and everybody will love these, I'm sure
- improved folder handling with regards to editing, as discussed here :
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=146144

Not counting these, the switch to Reaper has been a tough, but rewarding challenge so far ...
ymmv,
Rhino

PS: what I would prefer not to see in V5 :
- trendy internet BS a la Steinberg Hub or the "custom shop" monstrosities
- more plugins or content thrown in, concentrate on the main DAW functionality which is Reaper's forte anyway
- a "rubberized" UI with buggy zoom and "hide and seek" buttons everywhere like C7
again, ymmv ...
ProfRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #384
reapercurious

Renoise-Bitwig-Ableton style, uniform plugin guis
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #385
K-BooGiE!

Like to see a app store!!...Plugins, Themes, Scripts, etc. Instead of begging for someone to code it, pay for it to be made! make these guys some money...I personally would pay for multi-touch support for reaper and ARA.
K-BooGiE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:08 AM   #386
vanhaze

This !!
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #387
Sound asleep

I would love to see some nice advancements in envelopes. Envelopes are a love hate relationship for me. They are so tremendously powerful, and awesome, but they are such a bitch to use. Not easy to move around items, and really depend on your envelopes moving along with them, or doing something weird you don't expect. Stuff like that.

Also, reaper is not very flexible, and a bit unwieldy in how it lets you control envelope slopes and stuff like that. It doesn't let you be very precise in a mathematical kind of way. I could draw stuff in by hand, but I'd like to take a logarithmic slope and edit it in a nice convenient click and drag kind of way.

Also, things like this:

irritate me about it. they are just not solid, and dependable tools I am excited to work with. Which sucks, because they are so incredibly powerful. You know? right now, they are always a last resort for me, where I will use them, if I really have to. But I would like to be excited to use them, and just go nuts, releasing their full potential.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #388
phistermill

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpbroke1 View Post
Yeah I used Sonar for since the first version, so Happy "Crashing and Rebooting"
Sorry that your setup is unstable. Mine isn't.
phistermill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #389
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by phistermill View Post
Sorry that your setup is unstable. Mine isn't.
Quite a lot of us baled on Sonar and made our way to reaper.

Sonar on my system was flaky as hell, reaper never has been.
It isnt all about the hardware causing instability, especially in Sonar's case.

I just "upgraded" to X3 out of curiosity - it was very very cheap - and it does seem more stable now.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #390
phistermill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Quite a lot of us baled on Sonar and made our way to reaper.

Sonar on my system was flaky as hell, reaper never has been.
It isnt all about the hardware causing instability, especially in Sonar's case.

I just "upgraded" to X3 out of curiosity - it was very very cheap - and it does seem more stable now.
I know that X1 and X2 have had a lot of problems for some folks. I have used 6 and 8.5 during the years and now X3 and have had no problems with stability or crashes.
Reaper on the other hand have given me dropouts at playback on some testcomputers I've used. No crashes but annoying as hell.
phistermill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #391
reapercurious

Can there PLEASE be a poll at the front of all these pages? I don't think anyone is going to use all these pages as a road map for Reaper 5, a list with votes might be more useful, if this thread is going to be useful that is.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #392
buckman

Reaper 5 Wishlist.

1. Area Selection - to drag and edit inside audio files without splitting like an audio editor all within the timeline like PT and Sound Forge etc, adding fx without glueing to the file

2. As above with a choice for Destructive editing or not, so i can edit and trim files, but then do other things all from within the Reaper Timeline without losing flow.

3. Area Selection (for arranging) - exactly like Ableton live does. drag and higlight without splitting files etc is really fast for me, and one of the reasons I use it more at the moment the Reaper.

4. Score editor like Logic?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #393
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Reaper 5 Wishlist.

3. Area Selection (for arranging) - exactly like Ableton live does. drag and higlight without splitting files etc is really fast for me, and one of the reasons I use it more at the moment the Reaper.
You can do it already, not on multiple tracks but exactly how in Ableton Live. I work the same way for a long time already. Learn how to configure mouse modifiers with custom actions. Its the core of Reaper workflow.

Maybe i should make a tutorial on how to set up Reaper editing workflow to match Ableton Live...
Old 11-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #394
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
You can do it already, not on multiple tracks but exactly how in Ableton Live. I work the same way for a long time already
Please show me how I can 'arrange' with Area Selection in Reaper exactly like Ableton live?

I've been missing this it seems!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #395
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Please show me how I can 'arrange' with Area Selection in Reaper exactly like Ableton live?

I've been missing this it seems!
Ok i will make tutorial now
Its very easy actually...
Old 11-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #396
Viente

Here is the core changes. You can tweak even more for your needs, but you should get the idea now

Go to Preferences and then to Mouse Modifiers

1. Set Track left drag
Default action : Marque select items and time

2. Set Media item left drag
Default action : Move item and time selection

3. Set media item left click
Default action : Action list -> Time selection : Set time selection to items

4. Set media item bottom half left drag

Last edited by Viente; 11-05-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #397
buckman

Thanks for this, but before I try it, is this just the lassoe tool to grab things together?

In Ableton you drag and it creates and Area, and without splitting or cutting, you can drag and it copies

Now if i remember, Reaper does this but not in the same way so if i need to copy an Area selection for arranging I have to split all the tracks to just get that 'area' ?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #398
Viente

Yes it copies without splitting, but i just found it doesnt move all items in time selection if i drag just one, but im 100% sure it worked for me in the past. i just work a little different now. Let me see...

Last edited by Viente; 11-05-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #399
Viente

Ahh got it

1. Set Track left drag

4. Set media item bottom half left drag

also edited first post

Last edited by Viente; 11-05-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #400
Viente