Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
memyselfandus
Human being with feelings

Default Was the Line 6 Pod 2.0 better?

Was the Line 6 Pod (Bean) 2.0 from 2002 better than the newer ones that came out later? I have heard this but.. whats a good price for a used one?
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Aeolian

Some may say so, but I'm not so sure.

It seems that they did get better with each version.

I played an AxSys when they 1st came out, then the POD, then the POD 2, after which i got a POD XT Pro (the red 2U rackmount) which i gigged with for about 2 years.

I tried a POD HD recently, and sure enough, i thought it was a big improvement over the XT
Old 02-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
thequietroom

No... Ive heard all and owned the xt and now the pod hd bean. The hd is the best one theyve done.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #4
jerome_oneil

I've got an original bean and the accompanying MIDI pedal board. I like it.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:56 AM   #5
Mind Riot

No. But it was great for what it was at the time.

Seems like the modeling stuff just keeps improving to me. I got a looooootttt of use out of my PODxt bean and footswitch, but then I went to the POD Farm stuff for recording when it came around and I have a tube amp, so I never got any of the newer POD hardware.

These days paying for a POD 2.0 seems kind of pointless, unless you're doing it for nostalgia or something. There's millions of newer models out there for practically nothing. I still have my PODxt sitting in a bag because it's probably worth less than shipping by now.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:06 AM   #6
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post
No. But it was great for what it was at the time.

Seems like the modeling stuff just keeps improving to me. I got a looooootttt of use out of my PODxt bean and footswitch, but then I went to the POD Farm stuff for recording when it came around and I have a tube amp, so I never got any of the newer POD hardware.

These days paying for a POD 2.0 seems kind of pointless, unless you're doing it for nostalgia or something. There's millions of newer models out there for practically nothing. I still have my PODxt sitting in a bag because it's probably worth less than shipping by now.
Totally agree.
I have a POD 2.0 sitting here in Birmingham UK if anyone wants to make me an offer. The PC software that comes with it doesn't work on anything later than XP and the current Line 6 software is just rubbish.
I used it for years for home recording and instead of lugging my rig to rehearsals. Does a great job, but I wouldn't buy another - there are more space-efficient ways of doing the same job.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:18 AM   #7
edkilp

I've been running my POD 2.0 direct into Reaper, turning off the cab and using cabinet impulses. I'm getting some really killer sounds this way. I'm trying to talk the Mrs. into letting me spring for a low-wattage tube amp, which sound just incredible. Anyway, the POD 2.0 is the only hardware POD product I've ever had. Gigged with it for a very long time, and I thought it was really good. Pod farm stuff is all too fuzzy for my taste.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:00 AM   #8
ivansc

General consensus seems to b that the compressor in the Mk1 & 2 was much better than in the XT, as were several other of the effects.

I have a Mk1 that I ugraded to Mk2.3 eventually. Still as good sounding as any of the other Pods I have used.
But in fairness I never tried an HD variant...

A friend tried to swap his XT with me because of the aforementioned shite compressors - his take was that you got ore than one compressor in the XT but neither of them were that good!

FWIW I sold my Pod Pro as well.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
drtedtan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
I've been running my POD 2.0 direct into Reaper, turning off the cab and using cabinet impulses. I'm getting some really killer sounds this way.
This is the key thing with any modelers (aside form the Axe FX and Kemper). You have to turn off the speaker/cabinet modeling (the weak link on these units) and use impulses. Improves the sound quite a bit over the factory A.I.R. modeling.
drtedtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
memyselfandus

I didn't care for the newer pods much. but I remember loving the 2.0 back in like 2001? hard to say now..

has anyone compared the 2.0 bean with the Pod pro rack? the old one.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #11
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
I didn't care for the newer pods much. but I remember loving the 2.0 back in like 2001? hard to say now..

I'm curious, is it a particular amp model? I think the amp modelling improved very significantly each iteration 2.0/xt/hd

what did you dislike about he newer pods?

granted... the factory presets are not good.. I will never understand why they bothered to do factory presets when they are that bad
Old 02-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
I'm curious, is it a particular amp model? I think the amp modelling improved very significantly each iteration 2.0/xt/hd

what did you dislike about he newer pods?

granted... the factory presets are not good.. I will never understand why they bothered to do factory presets when they are that bad
To me they have that fuzzy digital sound and I didn't care for the compression. I only fiddled for a bit. and it's hard to say if I wouldn't hear the same things if I listened to the 2.0 now. after hearing other stuff over the years that may have sounded better? Not sure.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
timboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

I played an AxSys when they 1st came out, then the POD.......
I still have aN AXSys 212... Was playing it last week and it still sounds good For being built in 1996
timboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:24 AM   #14
Wolffman

I remember buying a red pod 2 and 4 switch pedal board, set up some sounds at home and thought this sounds great.
Then i took it to rehearsal ( classic rock band ) and it was just lost, so i thought i could make changes and it would be fine but it never was.

I did one gig with it and sold it the next week, went back to a few pedals in front of a tube amp, ahh... thats better

On the other hand i still have a BassPod XT which i used for years in front of a stereo power amp - a 15 inch bin - and a 2 ten / horn bin, sounded great !!

In fact the bassman model works pretty well for guitar as well, i couldn't ever compare it to the guitar V2 pod though.

I still record bass tracks with it sometimes.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:48 AM   #15
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post

Had both and never really got the pro to sound like the bean. Mind you my pro was plain vanilla version 2.1 and the bean was updated to 2.3 so who knows?

FWIW I still have the bean and use it any time I am in a small gig situation.

And I sold the longboard as well. I have the bean on the Line6 stand holder fitted to a clip on my mic stand. Perfect for instant hands on.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #16
rvman

I still have and use a Johnson J-station tabletop unit that I bought used in mint condition for $25 at guitar center years ago. It has some great sounds. Perfect for practice and quick recordings.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:23 PM   #17
karbomusic

I have almost every version of the POD ever made starting with V 1.0 including the chip upgrade for it. It's really relative to each individual to be honest.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #18
The Buddha Rats

I had an older POD 2 (red Limabean). I thought it was very good. I sold it when I foolishly bought into the vst ampsim craze, but have since purchased an older never-used-still-in-the-box POD XT. I love the XT.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #19
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
I still have and use a Johnson J-station tabletop unit that I bought used in mint condition for $25 at guitar center years ago. It has some great sounds. Perfect for practice and quick recordings.
I had one of these too

Yep a lovely intro to computer recording Tones were a little dark but i remember some good clesn tones.