Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #41
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Workaround

I'm currently testing a proposed solution setting these plugs to run in a dedicated process. Hopefully that solves the issue for me as it has for others.

Here is a workaround though, just in case:
After the plugin cuts out, save the settings as preset, name it whatever you want. Now just switch to another preset and back again. Should be working fine with current settings and prevent needing to reload Reaper/the project.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #42
richie43

I hope that your solution works wonders for you. Unfortunately, I have had to stop using any Variety of Sounds plugins because the issues I was experiencing were beyond any workaround....My sessions were being corrupted, Reaper was crashing altogether, I was losing work. Granted, this was on a machine I have since upgraded from, but it was frequent and bad enough that I have sworn them off.... Great sounding plugins but I see no reason (for me ant least any more) to even consider "old" code and 32bit only plugins.
For what it's worth, Herbert ("Bootsy" of Variety of Sound) is one of the brilliant collaborators in the new TDR SlickEQ and Koltelnikov Compressor...So I know that he is not forever bound to that 32bit only tech.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #43
Fergler

NastyDLA is the only one I find that stops working every once in a while, it will just stop affecting the sound (but passes the sound through). A quick offline-ing fixes it.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #44
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
NastyDLA is the only one I find that stops working every once in a while, it will just stop affecting the sound (but passes the sound through). A quick offline-ing fixes it.
I wish it had been that simple for me....Ah life. Plenty of tools to choose from, for sure!
Old 08-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #45
ginormous

To my understanding, excessive volume spikes to any audio will mute the track in Reaper; it's happened to me also, and not just with VoS. There's a threshold that has to be maintained. If the output is reduced (turned down) on the plugin or the fader, it will keep the transient spike from killing the track.

Usually, for me a +3 volume peak is as high as I need to go on my track volume.

v4.61 (32-bit) in Win 7 Home Premium x64
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:26 AM   #46
Firedance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
There's a threshold that has to be maintained. If the output is reduced (turned down) on the plugin or the fader, it will keep the transient spike from killing the track.
Ah...never thought of it that way. Interesting, it might help, good one - thanks.
Firedance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:03 AM   #47
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
It's not really acceptable though is it as a fix? I find it kind of unbelievable that almost all synthmaker plugins have this potential problem of audio not being passed through. I've had it with VOS, Sir Elliot plugins (they're even worse) and many other synthmaker creations. As a result they're all uninstalled now for me.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #48
Tim Rideout

I found this thread while searching for anyone else who has had issues with VoS plugins muting in Reaper. Glad to know I'm not the only one - but all these hacks/work-arounds/theories are anecdotal and in the category of Nice Try.

Does anyone have anything official from Bootsy, or at very least reproduceable to fix the problem?

thanks!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #49
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rideout View Post
I found this thread while searching for anyone else who has had issues with VoS plugins muting in Reaper. Glad to know I'm not the only one - but all these hacks/work-arounds/theories are anecdotal and in the category of Nice Try.

Does anyone have anything official from Bootsy, or at very least reproduceable to fix the problem?

thanks!
Unfortunately the only real "fix" is to find replacements. The coding platform used is inherently unstable (in my opinion) and as OS's continue to move on, the instability will probably worsen.
Have you tried running the VoS plugins as separate processes? At least then when they do crash they don't take Reaper with them.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #50
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rideout View Post

thanks!
I've never had this problem so I don't have anything. Since I've never had the problem for years now, and still use them quite a bit, I'm curious as to what the difference is since I use at least one of their plugins on pretty much every single project. I'll never stop using their delays though, cold dead hands.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #51
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'll never stop using their delays though, cold dead hands.
Here are two "analog type" delays which are 64-bit and use very low CPU (in case you or anyone else wants an option):

http://sonic.supermaailma.net/plugins (Leet Delay 2)

https://www.fullbucket.de/music/fbdelay.html

And if you don't mind a bit higher CPU usage (although Dub 3 is modest on CPU):

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-dub

For anyone looking for substitutes of VoS tape type distortions: Airwindows is about to release Iron Oxide 4 in VST form as part of his Patreon-funded effort (free for everyone but supported by Patreon patrons).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 04-14-2017 at 09:00 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #52
foxAsteria

Call it anecdotal if you want, but I forgot this problem even existed since I set the offending plugins to run as dedicated process a couple years ago. I use VoS plugs in nearly every project. But remember guys, free plugins are under no obligation to work flawlessly for you...

So I strongly suggest anyone still having this issue right click the problem plugin in the fx browser and set it to run as dedicated process. Fixed this for me.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #53
Tim Rideout

Thanks for the tips - I have done the following:

1) search for "BOOTSY" in the FX Browser
2) Right clicked all plugins
3) selected "Buggy Plugin Mode"
4) selected "run as dedicated process"

We will see how that works.

In the meantime, I have purchased the SoundToys plugins - AMAZING bundle
Old 04-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #54
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Here are two "analog type" delays which are 64-bit and use very low CPU (in case you or anyone else wants an option):

http://sonic.supermaailma.net/plugins (Leet Delay 2)

https://www.fullbucket.de/music/fbdelay.html
Thanks I'll check them out. I just haven't ever found anything that does what the others do straight out of the box in the way that I want as fast as these do, they just happen to align with my individual expectations mostly. I end up using them over my pricey paid delays like Fabfilter Timeless and OhmBoyz, Valhalla Uber etc. Actually Nomads Delays are also farking great.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #55
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Thanks I'll check them out. I just haven't ever found anything that does what the others do straight out of the box in the way that I want as fast as these do, they just happen to align with my individual expectations mostly. I end up using them over my pricey paid delays like Fabfilter Timeless and OhmBoyz, Valhalla Uber etc. Actually Nomads Delays are also farking great.
Sure, I know how it is. Once you're used to how something works, it can be difficult to switch to another workflow. And some plugins just don't sound the same. I'd just found these to be pretty darn good as "analog sounding delays". I've nearly eliminated all the 32-bit plugins from my system and there are still some VoS ones. They'll probably go away once Airwindows releases a few more plugins though.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #56
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Sure, I know how it is. Once you're used to how something works, it can be difficult to switch to another workflow.
That's the beauty for me, there is no workflow. Just got lucky I guess. Whatever they are set to when I open them, is almost always what I like already, other than delay time and random tweak of the drive or feedback buttons.

I'll still check the others out, I'll take as many delays as I can get because I like delays.