Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
nofish
Human being with feelings

Default warning message when trying to undo "multiple changes"

A follow up from these threads:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=76496

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=76484

I think Reaper should display a warning message when the undo history contains "multiple changes" entries (when the specified amount of RAM usuable for the undo history is filled up) and the user invokes a "undo" for this.

When this happened to me the first time (not noticing that the undo history was full) and it took me quite some time to figure out what was going on.

I can imagine no case where a user would want to do a "undo multiple changes" as this leads to unpredictable and unexpected behaviour.

Last edited by nofish; 03-14-2011 at 07:42 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #2
PitchSlap

I totally agree with all of this.

If you hadn't told me what the issue was, I'd still be scratching my head.

The current behaviour is not desirable in any case I can imagine and truly has the potential for the user to lose a lot of work.

There is no notice or warning anything is amiss. You either catch that multiple things have been undone (when you only requested the most recent change be undone), or you continue working thinking the the undo has functioned as it should and lose all your unsaved work after your next edit. What is even worse, is that if you've run out of undo memory, it means you've make a lot of edits which is not the time for the program to decide to undo them all and not tell you.

When modern systems have many gigs of RAM, I don't see why this should ever be an issue. Can't the undo memory size be dynamic? If there needs to be a fixed maximum the default should be something most will never reach. Having the potential to blow up your project because undo has used 30mb of your 12gb of RAM doesn't seem sensible to me.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
bladerunner

Is this really the case? There's been a few times where things have seemed amiss in the past but I couldn't trace it to anything. This is not good.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Is this really the case? There's been a few times where things have seemed amiss in the past but I couldn't trace it to anything. This is not good.
It seems to be. I think you can mostly avoid it by changing the undo memory setting in the preferences. The default is only 30mb, which is apparently too little (especially if you are saving multiple undo paths). I set it to 120MB and will raise it to 500MB if I ever encounter this again.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
urednik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
A follow up from these threads:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=76496

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=76484

I think Reaper should display a warning message when the undo history contains "multiple changes" entries (when the specified amount of RAM usuable for the undo history is filled up) and the user invokes a "undo" for this.
At least a Pop-up warning should be, because it happens to many people that a lot of work goes lost without knowing. It is a must.
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by urednik View Post
At least a Pop-up warning should be, because it happens to many people that a lot of work goes lost without knowing. It is a must.
Dearest developers,

my editing project got unusually big (large Stravinsky score, 97 tracks, >1000 items) and while working with the conducter, suddenly I started to lose my work. Several times, the project stepped back multiple edits without me realising it. The only thing, that saved my sessions were auto-backups set to 1 minute, where I could later locate each time the project file got suddenly smaller and copy the changes back.

After a longer research I found this Undo issue. Thanks, nofish, thanks everybody! Every step of Undo seems to eat up >30 MB in this project. This must have definitely been the case with the losses of my work. It would just have saved me such a HUGE amount of stress during the editing sessions, if Repaer popped up a message box notifying me about it.

Please, my dear developers, please consider including a simple alert in here. Or anything you find acceptable from your point of view. There are already quite some hidden fixes one has to carefully warn about every new colleague (e.g. maxfiles limit in OS X for lager projects manifesting in "unable to save" errors), but this one has cost me unusual amount of stress.

And once again, thanks to everyone who cared to write about it on this forum. Without you, I would be completely lost, unsure what to suspect and how to avoid the problem. It wasn't easy to replicate at all, not speaking about the circumstances (colleague conductor waiting until I find a solution).

Thank you for your time and help,

Jakub
722 is offline   Reply With Quote