Old 09-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
zappadave
Human being with feelings

Default PiP midi heretic?

I don't won't to sound like a PiP midi heretic, but what can PiP do for midi that I can't already do in Reaper?
What extra benefits does PiP bring to midi?
Any specific suggestions.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
dub3000

if you're doing an album, it lets you load a bunch of songs at once into a single project and do tweaks in-place (so you get a nice consistency). this isn't audio- or midi-specific, it's just freaking cool.

you could also run sections of songs into each other with totally different tempos/setups/whatever
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:58 AM   #3
fladd

How would that work?
I am usually glad when my dualcore has enough power to load and play one project at a time, so which machine in the world could handle e.g. 15 fully mixed projects?

fladd
Old 09-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
musicbynumbers

it is possible to flatten the project yet have it there still as a second take for when you need to edit it.

I just realised that all those times people wanted separate variable tempo/varispeed they can now probably do it! lol

just need some way of being able to play the parent project back when editing the child "pip" project.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
kelldammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappadave View Post
I don't won't to sound like a PiP midi heretic, but what can PiP do for midi that I can't already do in Reaper?
What extra benefits does PiP bring to midi?
Any specific suggestions.
you're not a heretic. it's a feature you just may or may not find much use for in the way you work. for example, i had never used/wasn't even aware of the media browser till PiP came along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
if you're doing an album, it lets you load a bunch of songs at once into a single project and do tweaks in-place (so you get a nice consistency). this isn't audio- or midi-specific, it's just freaking cool.

you could also run sections of songs into each other with totally different tempos/setups/whatever
exactly. it's perfect for mastering. also, say you have an .rpp floating around of an unfinished idea...and while you're working on something else, it suddenly occurs to you that that unfinished idea would make a PERFECT bridge...PiP is a very quick way to test that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I just realised that all those times people wanted separate variable tempo/varispeed they can now probably do it! lol

just need some way of being able to play the parent project back when editing the child "pip" project.
yes, and for video, there wouldn't be as much need for a complicated tempo/timesig map in the main project. you could set the main project's ruler to hr/mn/sec and simply let the PiPs handle all the tempo/time sig/varispeed variations as dub/mbn suggested. this could also be useful when working on sections of songs too.
+1 for master audio/video playback when editing a PiP within a master project. it would also be cool to be able to mute it if you so desire.

kell

-OR-

feed the children. preferably to starving wild animals.
kelldammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Kundalinguist

PIP certainly has a lot of potential, most of which will be realized over time, I suppose. As was said, some features seem invisible until we need them. Glad there's always something new around each corner.
Kundalinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Tallisman

PiP will trade CPU processing power for RAM.
your huge instruments could all be contained in PiPs,
keeping your main project clutter free.

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
semiquaver

trading CPU for RAM is a lot like a "live" freeze... oh so cool...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
qwanta

It also allows you to group things together in organized fashion. For example, make a drum PiP with multiple tracks (BD,SN,HH etc), import the pip into your project - you only need 1-track, and it's super easy to make copies of (no need to select a wide array of clips in tracks just to make a copy of the drum part).
Plus, the PiP being a rendered wav, it doesn't use much CPU - regardless of how complex the source rpp is.

Personally, I think this has huge potential. I routinely see people using 100+ tracks in their DAW's because the current paradigm tends to force this way of working (new track for every new VST/FX combination). With PiP's this can be dramatically reduced and makes it more fun to try different ideas out and combining different patterns together.
qwanta is offline   Reply With Quote