Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
JohnB47
Human being with feelings

Default A very real newbe

Hi.

I've just registered and have read quite a few posts and I'm really reeling by what I've read.

OK, this might just be a passing phase but I'm wondering if I can (or want to) get into the whole recording/mixing thing.

I recently bought a Yamaha digital piano and am right at the beginning of the learning curve with that. It comes with built in (but it seems to me, extremly basic) 16 channel recording/mixing and with USB/Midi connections.

So I posted a question on the excellent digital camera discussion group site dpreview.com about a good site on mixing and music production and that led me here.

So what do I want? Well, I really want some advice, in very basic terms, on what is possible. I only have the piano, so I'm imagining recording some tunes (they might even sound like music), then transferring them to Reaper loaded on my laptop and then messing around with them (eg adding seperate tracks and effects) and passing them back to the piano to play. Or should that read 'recording some songs direct to Reaper'.

Apart from passing them back to the piano, what else could I do? My laptop has a basic sound card built in with basic MIDI support but I understand that I could buy a (PCMCIA type?) sound card, install that and connect it to hi fi??.

You can see that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I have all these ideas floating around and they're not congealing.

So, has anyone got any good ideas for a web site or tutorial on the extreme basics here? A sort of "So, you want to record and mess around with your own pathetic musical creations but haven't the slightest idea how eh?" book/tutorial. Or if anyone has posted the exact same basic question recently (this has a disturbing way of happening to me in newsgroups) please let me have the link.

Thanks in advance.
JohnB47 is offline   Reply With Quote