Old 06-26-2017, 04:35 AM   #1
dfackler
Human being with feelings

Default DDP upload question

Greetings:

I'm ready to ship the latest CD master to the pressing plant(my age is showing!) and am considering the DDP file option instead of sending a physical CD.

Question:

When rendering to cue/bin, we can choose the gap length between tracks prior to render. This option does not appear in the DDP render choices. How does one set this?

Thanks in advance.

d
dfackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #2
serr

Literally by placing the markers right at the points you want.

The whole point is to define the index points exactly and not leave some burning app to apply mystery gaps after the fact.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
dfackler

Thanks, Serr.

I'm well used to putting the markers(#01, #02, etc) in for cue/bin render and native burns. The question would be should I separate the tracks-- i.e. insert 2 sec of silence between the end of track #01 and marker #02 and on down the line?

d

Last edited by dfackler; 06-26-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
serr

Only you can make artistic choices about flow from one track to the next and what interval of silence you might want to have.

The only caveat is the index points must fall on frames at 75 frames/sec. (Hence the instruction in DDP to use a 75 frame/sec grid.)

The clumsy part comes up with program that segues from one track to the next and where there is no convenient zero crossing for an index point that also falls on a frame boundary. The usual compromise is to find the nearest zero crossing (or close to one) to the point you really wanted that falls on a frame boundary. (This is why you see CD's out in the wild with slightly off index points. You'd end up with a gap otherwise which would be worse.)

So...
Your 24 bit download and bluray versions can be perfect. Your CD version will be constrained to index points falling on 75 frame/sec boundaries. (Just like everyone elses.)
Old 06-27-2017, 04:57 AM   #5
dfackler

So, can REAPER be set to a 75 frame/sec grid? If so, it's not obvious.

D
Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
serr

It's under Project Settings. Project framerate.

Set it to 75. Then right-click on the grid on/off button to set the grid spacing to frames.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
MRMJP

This is just my opinion but I think you'll find that REAPER is not really that great when it comes to anything related to sequencing an album/CD.

Yes, it can be done with some workarounds and custom scripts but it's not natively designed to be a mastering app like WaveLab or HOFA/Sonoris DDP.

If you need to do this just a few times a year, maybe you don't mind the extra work involved to make it right in REAPER.

If you plan to do this on a regular basis, you may want to consider HOFA CD Burn & DDP, Sonoris DDP Creator, WaveLab, Triumph DSP Quattro, or Studio One V3 which recently had an update to the mastering project portion of the app.

I use REAPER for part of my mastering project but with my workflow and brainflow, I cannot use it for the entire job. I've requested that they add something to WaveLab montage or Studio One V3 project mode but no response or interest.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
serr

That's funny because one of the things I like about Reaper for doing this is how fast and easy it makes it.

To each his own then.

No scripts needed to knock out a CD master. You have the sequencing done at this point (however you go about doing that - I prefer Reaper of course) from the full quality master. Import that. Go through and make the slight adjustments to work around the 75 frame boundary restriction. Either very slightly altered index spots that work just as well. Occasionally a slight nudge if you prefer that. Only you can make those decisions so far. Labels and then click render.

I do agree that it seems annoying to have an extra step for the CD version of a master vs the 24 bit HD files. I still want to put my hands on that part and treat it with respect though. (Vs automating it unheard.)
Old 06-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
dfackler

I've used REAPER for CD production since version 2.xx. It's always worked well for me.

The difference this time is that I'm trying out the DDP option instead of shipping a physical master to the duplicator.

d

Last edited by dfackler; 06-30-2017 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
nottooloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfackler View Post
The difference this time is that I'm trying out the DDP option instead of shipping a physical master to the duplicator.

d
Diskmakers and Oasis will accept a zipped Bin/Cue fileset, too. You can proof those by burning them in Toast. I find it a lot easier than Reaper's DDP setup.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:19 AM   #11
Mighty Moita

Default Project Framerate

Hi, I'm trying to do DDP files, I'm following instructions by a Youtube video, but under project settings I cannot see where to set the Project Framerate to 75.
Where do I find this in Reaper.
I sent a DDP file to the CD factury and the MD5 is a missmatch. Maybe because I couldn't set this properly.
When I do the created wave file test shifting the phase, in the 1st few songs it's a match where there's no sound, but after a few ones the created wave file is a little in after and it produces phase sound.
Mighty Moita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Moita View Post
Hi, I'm trying to do DDP files, I'm following instructions by a Youtube video, but under project settings I cannot see where to set the Project Framerate to 75.
Where do I find this in Reaper.
I sent a DDP file to the CD factury and the MD5 is a missmatch. Maybe because I couldn't set this properly.
When I do the created wave file test shifting the phase, in the 1st few songs it's a match where there's no sound, but after a few ones the created wave file is a little in after and it produces phase sound.
Are you using the latest version of Reaper?
There was a MD5 bug awhile back in Reaper version 4.

The project frame rate in Reaper is now located in the project settings under the video tab.