Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
farmac
Human being with feelings

Default Allen and Heath Zed R16 with Reaper ???

Hi. I asked Justin at Allen and Heath if he could set up a controller template for me so I can run Reaper with the midi section on my new Zed R16 analog firewire mixer.

The R16 ( so-far ) is a sweet mixer. I would love to continue using Reaper ; along with the rest of my band mates , but if I cant use the transport and midi functions with this software , we'll have to move on to some other recording software.

This is what they had to say at Allen and Heath today :

"Hello,
I've been playing with Reaper and the Zed R-16 without very much success. It seems to me that Reaper is more limited than alot of DAWs in its ability to set up control surfaces and in its midi control. I can get it to control midi tracks using reaControl MIDI but at this point having it control audio tracks is not happening for me. I'm going to recommend that you use an officially supported DAW such as Logic, or hop on the Reaper forums and ask some Reaper experts for assistance because I'm running out of ideas about how to make the MIDI control useful with this DAW.
Thanks,"

Anybody have a fix ?
farmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Hercules

Hi farmac,

What protocol have you selected? I found that my Mackie MCU worked with HUI but works better with Mackie protocol so maybe this is worth a try....

See this thread for some discussion on the Mackie MCU - maybe some of the tips will help - the A&H is a fairly new unit so you may be one of the first to try this....

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50609
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmac View Post
Hi. I asked Justin at Allen and Heath if he could set up a controller template for me so I can run Reaper with the midi section on my new Zed R16 analog firewire mixer.

The R16 ( so-far ) is a sweet mixer. I would love to continue using Reaper ; along with the rest of my band mates , but if I cant use the transport and midi functions with this software , we'll have to move on to some other recording software.

This is what they had to say at Allen and Heath today :

"Hello,
I've been playing with Reaper and the Zed R-16 without very much success. It seems to me that Reaper is more limited than alot of DAWs in its ability to set up control surfaces and in its midi control. I can get it to control midi tracks using reaControl MIDI but at this point having it control audio tracks is not happening for me. I'm going to recommend that you use an officially supported DAW such as Logic, or hop on the Reaper forums and ask some Reaper experts for assistance because I'm running out of ideas about how to make the MIDI control useful with this DAW.
Thanks,"

Anybody have a fix ?
I think he's kind of right but at the same time not getting the Reaper model.
Reaper imo is not limited in this repect, it's immature.
The difference is one of opportunity to develop further. Not limitation.
Control surface compatibility has still not had the attention some folks would like but that doesn't mean it's limited it means it's just not there yet.
Check out some of the control surface feature requests and see if yours has support already requested. If not start a request.
Others have started requests and the most popular in time will be included - that's how the request system works :-)

(see my sig for the surface I'm interested in being better integrated)

All the Best.

P.S I'm also looking at the Onyx i as well as the A&H R16
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
farmac

Thanks for the replies. Not what I was hoping to hear though. I would think midi control would become kind of a priority for Reaper at this point. I was Gung- Ho over Reaper before this. Looks like I'm heading back to Logic , where I'll be stuck teaching the rest of the guys I play with. Too bad.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Brian Cares

Hm. I dont know where your problem is.

For me the Zed16 is working like a charm with Reaper.

The transport works as expected. I can assign the last touched parameter.
I can assign the volume fader. (Though its a bit tricky as you assign these in the order of appearence rather then have certain channels mapped to their faders. Means: If you change the track order, the mappings will stay at channel 1-16)

Make sure, you activate the midi out for the Zed in Reaper with CC.
I did not use it as control surface.
Brian Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
farmac

Hi Brian.

Well , I have no experience mapping midi controls whatsoever. So , before I attempted anything , I consulted the Allen and Heath company to see if there was any problem in doing so , and to know if someone with more experience in this field had constructed a template for this. My first post shows the quote from A and H , taken from an email they sent me after inquiring. This is all I know of it thus far. How do you interpret it?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
farmac

Recorded a few tracks with a band last night through the Zed R16 into Reaper again. This board is wicked.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Brian Cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmac View Post
Hi Brian.

Well , I have no experience mapping midi controls whatsoever. So , before I attempted anything , I consulted the Allen and Heath company to see if there was any problem in doing so , and to know if someone with more experience in this field had constructed a template for this. My first post shows the quote from A and H , taken from an email they sent me after inquiring. This is all I know of it thus far. How do you interpret it?
Hey Farmac,

I understand their statement. In their eyes Reaper is still considered "underground". I know the first frustration if your coming from another DAW. Reaper is not "ready out of the box" for everyone. Indeed it is rather highly customizable, which comes by the cost of a pretty steep learning curve.

Believe me, once you get a hang of the combination of board and DAW and figure out your very own approach and workflow this will be better than any "template" a company like A&H could supply.

For the start:

For any parameter you want to control, hit strng & circumflex (right below escape) after touching the control. This will let you map the control to any pot or midifader on the board.

This does not apply to mixer controls (vol, pan, send...)
For these, go to the action window and search for "apply volume to midi" or smth similar. Same goes for pan.

The Zed is a great board indeed.

I use it primarily for mixing. The Eq is killer and the integration and routing with the DAW is awesome. I am waiting for the Zed24 to come later this year though. It offers more feaatures for a killer price.

Have fun!
Brian Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
farmac

Thanks Brian.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
donnchaidh

Default Thanks for the post

I'm thinking of purchasing the Allen and Heath ZEDR16. It threads like this that have and will continue to guide me with purchases. Thanks Reaper Forum!

D
donnchaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
dbrentk

Default Using ZED Midi Control with Reaper

This worked for me:

goto Preferences/Audio/MIDI Devices

Select Zed R Port 1 under MIDI inputs then right click on it and select "Enable input for control messages"

hope this helps
dbrentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
clerks

Default ZR16 config controle surface?

Hello,
i just buy a Zr16 board too, and i have issue to configurate it ...

like dbrentk, i "Enable input for control messages", in preference, and transport functions worked good.
But how can i link my fader with reaper's fad ? (track and main output ?)

Brian said : "Make sure, you activate the midi out for the Zed in Reaper with CC." but the ZR16 is not in the list of device midi output, only input! (i'm on reaper 3.75, my ZR16 is connected by firewire, and my ZEDICE driver is the last one 3.53 i think). Moreover The ZR have juste Midi output no input... so i don't understand???

Brian said : "For any parameter you want to control, hit strng & circumflex (right below escape) after touching the control. This will let you map the control to any pot or midifader on the board." i'mnot sure , but my keyboard is french one, and i try but nothing !!

If somebody could help me?

Last edited by clerks; 02-22-2011 at 11:33 AM.
clerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #13
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerks View Post
Hello,
Brian said : "Make sure, you activate the midi out for the Zed in Reaper with CC." but the ZR16 is not in the list of device midi output, only input! (i'm on reaper 3.75, my ZR16 is connected by firewire, and my ZEDICE driver is the last one 3.53 i think). Moreover The ZR have juste Midi output no input... so i don't understand???
He probably meant the same as dbrentk (post#11).

Brian said : "For any parameter you want to control, hit strng & circumflex (right below escape) after touching the control. This will let you map the control to any pot or midifader on the board." i'mnot sure , but my keyboard is french one, and i try but nothing !![/QUOTE]

He meant the action "FX: Set MIDI learn for last touched parameter" in the action window (he probably has assigned that to that shortcut, you can pick yours). After you hit that keystroke a window will pop up where you can assign the knob on the R16.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
Jeronimo

Guys, I need a little help here.
My ZED is all working great, I've already mapped the faders to what I want BUT when writing automation with the faders (doesn't matter if it's the MIDI only or the AUDIO/MIDI faders) I feel the "lag" if you want to do small writes.
Does anyone feel the same?
I mean, if I need to do a small write, I move the faders but they don't write on Reaper... I need a "bigger" move to write...
Can someone help me with that or it is like this and there is nothing we can do?
Maybe it's a MIDI thing, with only 127 steps. Maybe it's a 60mm fader thing... maybe it's both.
I must say that in Logic, the writes feel MUCH better!