Old 04-10-2017, 04:56 AM   #1
BluGenes
Human being with feelings

Default sending Midi tracks to other midi tracks

I am trying to send midi tracks to other tracks and I am having an issue. I have a track set up with midi chords. I want that track to send to other tracks and trigger a vst, like Cthulhu and an instrument (for arp generation). But, I can't record that info to a track for some reason. I tried putting the Cthulhu plugin on the input fx, but, that isn't working either. I have the sending track sending "all midi" and the receiving tracks to "record midi" and receive the midi "all input." Not working. If I set the sending track to use the virtual key board, the receive tracks gets the midi and I see signal on the meters. But, it doesn't see the midi data on the sending track and I get no signal on the meters.

The goal is to have the track with the chords to feed other tracks with other instruments.

It must be something I am not setting, because it did work before. But, I can't see what I am doing wrong. Latest versions on everything and using Windows 10 with latest..

Also, the script Item: Print FX (midi) not working either. It does work if I disable the instrument on the track though.

I guess you could say, I am working the opposite way you would configure a mutli timbrel vst, like sample tank or a drum vst. meaning rather than sending from the instrument to multi tracks, I am sending from a track to multi instruments (each on their own track).

the goal being editing the chord track in one spot and having that trickle through auto majically to the others.

If needed, I can do a video to show the work flow and process. (if it is considered possible to solve this..lol)
BluGenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
DarkStar

The MIDI received by the tracks is not considered to be an input. Set those tracks to "Record Output (MIDI)"; right-click the RecArm button for the menu choices.

But ... you do not need to Record the MIDI on them, unless you want to edit it later (with the Sending track disabled). Sending the generated MIDI from the single track to the others should play the plug-ins on those tracks. (At least, it does here. )
Old 04-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
BluGenes

Yea, that works.. everything plays like it should. I do want to record the generated arpeggios, but, when I do record, it comes back blank. It is playing like it should though. If I put the Cthulhu vst on the input fx it doesn't play the arp, and the chords are playing the harp on the FX side.

But, if I disable Cthulhu, I still get a blank record. If I disable everything, it makes a copy of the chords and that records.(I get the same behavior with the script Item: Apply track/take FX (Midi output))

I also failed to mention I am using the Aria player, if that makes a difference.

Edit: It is now working. If I disable the Aria player on the track, it will record the generated arp. It is when the player is enabled that it does not work.

Last edited by BluGenes; 04-10-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
DarkStar

If it plays back correctly, then it should record the generated MIDI on the receiving tracks too.

What happens if you disable Cthulhu and just edit a MIDI clip on that track?
What happens if you disable the ARIA Player(s)?

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluGenes View Post
Edit: It is now working. If I disable the Aria player on the track, it will record the generated arp. It is when the player is enabled that it does not work.
Try to enable the 'Merges with MIDI BUS' option for the MIDI output via Right-click on the Plugin output (between the [PARAM] and [UI] buttons). See screenshot here: http://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=189095
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
DarkStar

^^^
Hmm, I did think of that too, and that should do it.

Oddly, when I tried here using ReaSynth, the default "Replaces MIDI bus" was OK. That suggests that ReaSynth outputs whatever MIDI it receives?
Old 04-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
^^^
Hmm, I did think of that too, and that should do it.

Oddly, when I tried here using ReaSynth, the default "Replaces MIDI bus" was OK. That suggests that ReaSynth outputs whatever MIDI it receives?
Yeah, it depends on the plugin (and if it can output MIDI and/or pass MIDI through from previous plugins in the chain).

As another example: it's the same when using for instance JS: Megababy Sequencer + NI Battery in the same FX chain and you want to record the MIDI patterns from Megababy as MIDI item (after they go into the Battery plugin). Since Battery doesn't output or pass through MIDI, using 'Merges with MIDI bus' helps in this case.

Last edited by solger; 04-10-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: better wording
Old 04-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
BluGenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Try to enable the 'Merges with MIDI BUS' option for the MIDI output via Right-click on the Plugin output (between the [PARAM] and [UI] buttons). See screenshot here: http://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=189095
I had saw that when poking around and didn't try it. I just did, and that works.. I had the same issue when using megababy too..

Just so I understand, some VST's will discard the midi after it is processed?
Old 04-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluGenes View Post
Just so I understand, some VST's will discard the midi after it is processed?
Basically yes. Some VSTs can process MIDI input only into AUDIO output (so no MIDI comes out or through at the end anymore ).

Last edited by solger; 04-10-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
BluGenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Basically yes. Some VSTs can process MIDI input only into AUDIO output (so no MIDI comes out or through at the end anymore ).
Ok, cool to know.. I want to thank everyone for the help! Now the fun starts!
Old 04-11-2017, 01:23 AM   #11
woelf

@BluGenes
Just for couriosity: Does your Cthulhu hold your current chords when you press the hold pedal (meaning ignores note off as long as you keep pressing the hold pedal)?