Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #41
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I don't know if it does. But it would be great if it had an option to remember it's last setting
It currently doesn't remember the last settings and that's pretty annoying, I will try to change that today...
Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #42
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
It currently doesn't remember the last settings and that's pretty annoying, I will try to change that today...
thanks no rush obviously. It's all good!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #43
Xenakios

New build :

edit : linl to old build removed

Changes :

-Envelope segments can be curved by holding down the ALT-key and dragging with the mouse over the segments. (Some other kinds of shapings will appear in the future.)
-Non-resampled mode now has time stretch envelope
-Some problems fixed

Some already known issues (that I hope to address at some point) :

-Especially at slow resampled or time stretched playrates the visual play cursor is out of sync with the heard audio during preview
-Last used settings are not remembered for next use
-Rendered output from non-resampled mode may have a glitch at the end of the file

Last edited by Xenakios; 04-23-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #44
musicbynumbers

cool! off to try it now!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #45
Viente

Thanks!
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #46
musicbynumbers

So far so good!

some things I've noted that are bugs and some suggestions but obviously feel free to ignore the suggestion bits as they are mostly small "wants" and nothing major!

1. If you extend an item's length past it's real end time (as an item in the arrange page) then that blank "silent" audio part creates a looped glitch for that blank section in the pitchbend module on playing back the blank bits. (plus the waveform doesn't show the silence and therefore is out of sync but that issue is already noted by you I think)

2. Same thing as above happens if the item's rate is stretched. The bit that is past the normal item length (when at a rate of "1") is looping as tiny bits of sound.

3. Be great if it could grab the level of the track it's on and play back the pitchbend module at that volume as it always come out at full volume.

Think that's it actually for now. Will add to it later if something comes up

again. Thanks for this!
Old 04-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #47
jm duchenne

Quote:
New build :
http://ge.tt/6NNT2Nc1/v/0?c
Changes :
-Envelope segments can be curved by holding down the ALT-key and dragging with the mouse over the segments. (Some other kinds of shapings will appear in the future.)
-Non-resampled mode now has time stretch envelope
Fantastic.
This variable time-stretching is now a must have for Reaper.
I think that I will spend a lot of time with your plugin when it will work also with multichannel files ;-)
Old 04-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #48
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
I think that I will spend a lot of time with your plugin when it will work also with multichannel files ;-)
I added the multichannel support already, coming in the next build. (For the offline rendering. I can't test if the realtime preview would work properly for multichannel files as I don't own surround audio hardware, so that just plays the first 2 channels into the main stereo channels.)
Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #49
Viente

I love how this nice little thing evolve!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #50
airon

Well, well, well.

Someone finally did it inside Reaper.

Xen, you've probably created the first Audiosuite-like plugin for Reaper . Works great so far. Now I have to remember all the stuff I wanted to do with Pitchbend.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #51
Giano
Banned

Quote:
The builds posted here are for only Reaper/Windows 64 bit at the moment. However, if you are using those, the extension should add an action named "Xenakios : Pitch bend item" to the available actions. There's no shortcut key by default nor will it be added to any menu by the plugin.

(A 32 bit build might appear some day soon, but it will require Windows 7 or newer to run. Sorry, Windows XP users...)
I have dowloaded your zip file. There is a dll. file called reaper_xenakios_audioprocessing.dll
. Do I have to move it to the Folder I have all my dll plugins ? But your plugin does not show up. And in Actions I can not find "Pitch bend items". I must do something wrong ? I have Win 7 64 bit
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #52
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
I have dowloaded your zip file. There is a dll. file called reaper_xenakios_audioprocessing.dll
. Do I have to move it to the Folder I have all my dll plugins ? But your plugin does not show up. And in Actions I can not find "Pitch bend items". I must do something wrong ? I have Win 7 64 bit
It is not a VST plugin, so the the locations where you have those won't work. You should put it into the folder where Reaper has dlls like reaper_wave.dll and reaper_midi.dll. (Program Files/Reaper (x64)/Plugins)
Old 04-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #53
musicbynumbers

Just donated an initial "thank you" amount to you!

so happy to have this back.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #54
Viente

Where to donate?
Old 04-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #55
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
Where to donate?
My blog (linked in my signature) has a donate button

Finally got the settings saving and loading working, by the way...That was a pretty annoying bunch of code to write, but well, it's mostly done now.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #56
Xenakios

Quote:
Just donated an initial "thank you" amount to you!

so happy to have this back.
Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #57
Viente

Quote:
My blog (linked in my signature) has a donate button

Finally got the settings saving and loading working, by the way...That was a pretty annoying bunch of code to write, but well, it's mostly done now.
Will do asap
Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 AM   #58
Xenakios

New build :

edit : link to old build removed

Changes :

-Supports more than 2 channels for offline rendering. Realtime preview plays the 2 first channels of multichannel audio, until I can confirm whether the Reaper audio preview system supports N-channel previews or not.
-Settings are now remembered. The settings are stored as JSON (text based format) in the folder where Reaper has its ini-files as xenakios_pitchbend.json.
-Pitch shifter can use the Reaper project default pitch shift/time stretch mode

The issues mentioned by Musicbynumbers are not yet solved. It's recommended to not use the plugin on "weird" items, like items which have been extended past their source audio file length or items that already have their playrate altered. Audio preview volume is not yet user adjustable or taken from the source item's track. Hopefully these can be fixed later.

Last edited by Xenakios; 04-23-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #59
musicbynumbers

Thanks Xenakios! Will try it out!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #60
musicbynumbers

cool. Working so far

One thing that might be useful (although perhaps not if I think it through more) would be the ability to "invert envelope" but again, maybe not useful?

Saying that,I'm sure it will eventually come up that I need it who knows!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #61
Xenakios

Quote:
cool. Working so far

One thing that might be useful (although perhaps not if I think it through more) would be the ability to "invert envelope" but again, maybe not useful?

Saying that,I'm sure it will eventually come up that I need it who knows!
Ability to scale/shift/invert/etc the envelope is in the plans, but I need to think first how I am going to deal with the win32 API GUI mess that's already in the code...It makes me sad to think about all the envelope transformation and generation stuff that is already in HourGlass but which I can't reuse easily for this...
Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #62
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Ability to scale/shift/invert/etc the envelope is in the plans, but I need to think first how I am going to deal with the win32 API GUI mess that's already in the code...It makes me sad to think about all the envelope transformation and generation stuff that is already in HourGlass but which I can't reuse easily for this...
indeed. I can image that sucks.

Hourglass is totally fantastic for that stuff! If it could "slot in" elastique pro it would be brilliant for all of this as it works pretty much the same as an external editor does from within reaper which is pretty smooth.!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #63
jm duchenne

Quote:
New build :
-Supports more than 2 channels for offline rendering. Realtime preview plays the 2 first channels of multichannel audio, until I can confirm whether the Reaper audio preview system supports N-channel previews or not.
It works like a charm, with files up to 32 channels !

If the preview system is the same that the one used in the Media Explorer window, it must be no problem ?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #64
Xenakios

Quote:
It works like a charm, with files up to 32 channels !

If the preview system is the same that the one used in the Media Explorer window, it must be no problem ?
Yeah I guess that assumption could be made. I will try that for the next build...
Old 04-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #65
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr6 View Post
On a Mac ?
I am trying to think of ways to build for OS-X, but it doesn't look good right now. I don't have a computer that runs OS-X at the moment. Asking someone else who has a Mac to do the build is problematic because the code wouldn't directly build on OS-X without changes...
Old 04-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #66
Gates of Horn & Ivory

Maybe a silly question, but have you tried using a virtual machine?
Gates of Horn & Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #67
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates of Horn & Ivory View Post
Maybe a silly question, but have you tried using a virtual machine?
Yes I have tried that and it's a no go, my Intel CPU is a model that has poor virtualization support.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #68
Gates of Horn & Ivory

Ah okay. Fair enough.
Gates of Horn & Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:05 AM   #69
musicbynumbers

After using it today, I just realised we will probably need a "reset all env" button too as the current one only does one envelope at a time (which is good and useful) but if you have your settings saved then this means there are envelopes live still which are hidden that could be hard to find and reset.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #70
Xenakios

New build, (pre7) :

edit : link to old build removed

Changes :

-Realtime preview tells Reaper the actual number of channels in the source file, so hopefully it will play back more than 2 channels. (I couldn't test this properly myself as I only have 2 hardware audio outputs available.)
-Reset envelope button switched to Operations button which opens a menu with 3 actions : Reset current envelope, Reset all envelopes and Invert.
-During some serious error conditions (which should almost never happen), the plugin attempts to output a message into the Reaper message console, instead of using Windows OutputDebugString calls.

Issues with certain kinds of media items haven't yet been fixed. Preview volume still not adjustable nor taken from the item's track. Hopefully in pre8...

Last edited by Xenakios; 04-26-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #71
musicbynumbers

Thanks! will test when I can!

You probably know the code anyway (since you did the original versions) but Breeder here might be able to help with the "preview at track level" bit since he recently added the "preview item under mouse at track level" actions and they work well with it but I recall him having to do some workarounds

Look forward to it!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #72
Breeder

Workarounds were needed for detecting where items/takes etc...are

Audio preview part is using old SWS Xenakios code (but rewritten a bit to handle tracks)
http://code.google.com/p/sws-extensi...s/main.cpp#478
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #73
jm duchenne

Quote:
New build, (pre7) :
-Realtime preview tells Reaper the actual number of channels in the source file, so hopefully it will play back more than 2 channels. (I couldn't test this properly myself as I only have 2 hardware audio outputs available.)
I hadn't the time to make an exaustive test today, but it seems to work as expected, very nice !
Thanks a lot.

Now, if you could do the same in Hourglass........
Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #74
Xenakios

Quote:
Now, if you could do the same in Hourglass........
That would be QUITE involved! But I will get to it eventually...(HourGlass is like 70000 lines of code compared to the about 3000 lines in the pitch bender extension plugin...Finding all the places in HourGlass where things are conditionally handled as mono or stereo and changing them to be N-channel generic will take quite a lot of time and debugging...)
Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #75
jm duchenne

Yes, it is what I thought, and why I didn't ask for it... until then

But hearing what can be done with a "simple" plugin like this makes dreams wake up...
Old 04-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #76
Viente

Workng great! Extra thanks for little GUI tweaks
Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #77
Nixon

this is awesome, keep up the good work
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #78
musicbynumbers

LOL just realised this thread has had 2000 views! Looks like a few people are curious about it and following it!

I don't know how much of those are me but even if only a quarter of them donated to Xenakios just a Euro each (for his troubles) that would be a nice thank you for him!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #79
Viente

I will as soon as i got paypal fixed with my bank account
Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #80
Xenakios

Anybody using 32 bit Reaper with Windows 7/8, interested in trying this? I could easily post a 32 bit dll when I release a new build that should work on those operating systems. (Windows XP is a separate matter though...Perhaps possible but I'd rather not go there...)