Old 02-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
srbshawker
Human being with feelings

Default Help with linking another dylib from my reaper dylib.

Hey all,

I'm hoping this will be the correct forum -- it's related to a Mac OS plug-in development question.

I'm creating a REAPER plug-in and so far so good. Well, that was until I needed to include a dynamic library into my project.

If I have my reaper_blah.dylib and it itself relies on a foo.dylib (can't be statically linked), REAPER will not load my plugin on startup regardless of where I try and put it:

=> Applications/REAPER64/Contents/Plugins
=> ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins
=> /usr/lib
etc.

If I run "otool -L reaper_blah.dylib" then I can see the found dylib in /usr/lib. But obviously when I run REAPER64, then it must not see it :|.

Note that if I don't include this dylib and the code depending on it in my xcode project, my reaper_blah plugin loads fine and works. With the dylib (and code) included, when I attach to the process in xcode, it never even reaches my plugin entrypoint.

Has anybody had any experience with building a REAPER plugin that depends on a dynamic library on the Mac?

Where should I be putting this dylib in order for REAPER to see it?

Thanks!
Steve
srbshawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

I've got that to work. If my memory serves right, I did it with dlopen and dlsym calls. I gave dlopen an explicit path to the other dylib. All else failing, that approach should work for a dylib that has just C functions. If it's a dylib with C++ classes/code, maybe it won't work so well...(By the way, just to clarify one possible basic issue : the 32/64 bitness of Reaper, your dylib and the external dylib must all match of course.)