Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
Mr. PC
Human being with feelings

Default Don't know if I like it. Tabla, clarinet, double bass, choir.

I don't really know if I like this. It's me playing a pair of tabla (I can't really play them. Just banging), and singing (again, my hack version of singing).

Is the tabla panning annoying, or good?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnbwfu5odz...%20v2.mp3?dl=0

For some reason when I sent the tabla to my reverb, I got a terrible barking sound. I couldn't find clipping anywhere, trying EQing and compressing etc... always a bark. But anyhow, I just created a delay for them instead, using readelay, EQ, and reducing attack-transients. I also retuned the tabla notes in DAW to make the tabla pitch follow the song harmonies.

Be brutal guys. Should I change something? Or is it cool, and I just can't tell 'cause it's mine?
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Bass6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
I don't really know if I like this. It's me playing a pair of tabla (I can't really play them. Just banging), and singing (again, my hack version of singing).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnbwfu5odz...%20v2.mp3?dl=0

For some reason when I sent the tabla to my reverb, I got a terrible barking sound. I couldn't find clipping anywhere, trying EQing and compressing etc... always a bark. But anyhow, I just created a delay for them instead, using readelay, EQ, and reducing attack-transients. I also retuned the tabla notes in DAW to make the tabla pitch follow the song harmonies.

Be brutal guys. Should I change something? Or is it cool, and I just can't tell 'cause it's mine?
Well, I don't know what it is or what it's for, but I like it!
The tabla sound fine, nice level mix, just don't know what to make of it - sorry!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
msundh

It was cool.
Your kind of singing was also cool
Make it longer and some crescendos and stuff.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
RobertP

I liked it too, especially the tabla.

One thing, and this is probably personal preference, I would use an oboe or zurna rather than clarinet. How can I say it ... an oboe is err, less soft sounding and a zurna is even less soft sounding
Old 03-22-2017, 07:04 AM   #5
Mr. PC

Ok, thanks guys.

I'm just making it for my own pleasure. It has no purpose.

I used the clarinet, because I'm in love with my clarinet VSTi, but maybe I'll extend it and add oboe etc.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #6
Fergler

Dear 'Foo Smitherton',

The rhythms were off in a lot of places, messy so to speak, but I like the combination of these instruments.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Compared to my Indian friends and Zakir Hussain, who I saw play live (with Ravi Shankar before he passed RIP), I would have to say, from an instrumental viewpoint, the Tabla is not so good.

However it fits the type of music you are doing and it seems like you're having fun with it, so perhaps that matters most.

I bought a Sitar many years ago and still can't really play it properly, despite taking lessons I can hack away at it and call it "modern Sitar", but for the ears of Sitar aficionados it's shameful, and I know I'm just kidding myself with the "modern" thing.

I've been messing around putting Tabla on some tracks, but decided that I would find beats/loops and fit them in, rather than play them myself (vsti or real). Just because...
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:18 AM   #8
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Compared to my Indian friends and Zakir Hussain, who I saw play live (with Ravi Shankar before he passed RIP), I would have to say, from an instrumental viewpoint, the Tabla is not so good.

However it fits the type of music you are doing and it seems like you're having fun with it, so perhaps that matters most.

I bought a Sitar many years ago and still can't really play it properly, despite taking lessons I can hack away at it and call it "modern Sitar", but for the ears of Sitar aficionados it's shameful, and I know I'm just kidding myself with the "modern" thing.

I've been messing around putting Tabla on some tracks, but decided that I would find beats/loops and fit them in, rather than play them myself (vsti or real). Just because...
Ya, that's how I feel actually. I even tried fixing my rhythm in DAW... somehow I have no rhythm on tabla (honestly, I'm not like this with a piano). I had the same mindset "modern/unique tabla style".

Maybe I should just have other people play the percussion parts... it's just hard to justify the money spent on a tabla set.

I want to make music with lyrics as well... problem is I can't write lyrics...
Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:

I want to make music with lyrics as well... problem is I can't write lyrics...

Well, I suspect you can!

Seeing that you are very talented when it comes to creating melodic lines, perhaps you can create one "in the spirit of writing lyrics". In other words, inverse to procedure, rather than create lyrics then try to find a melody, create a melody and let the lyrics come out.

The wife of David Gilmore (Pink Floyd) does this *she is writing most lyrics now*.

David will 'hum' and record a melody on top of the song, his wife will go for a walk on the beach and listen to it over and over. Then she says "I start hearing words in the melody". And then the words become sentences, and so on. Funny part, is when she sings them to David, he's like "Woah, I can totally hear these words now"; like there were living there all along?!

As for the topic of a song that up to you; so many things can be put to text.

For some it's easy, for other like myself, it is labor and takes time. I will write out some ideas regarding a topic without any filters. Then I will go over the sentences and choose those that hit me the most. Then I will change some words to give them more power, and perhaps find synonyms to rhyme with other power words. Then I'll see if they can be re-worked to fit a melody. Then I go back and re-work the whole thing... It's painful, but out of the pain comes sweetness.

Having said that. not all music need lyrics.

Peace.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
Mr. PC

Thanks. Some good advice.

I know not all music needs lyrics. But I already have 3 instrumental albums, plus a bunch extra.

Sometimes I find out someone actually listens to my music, and I'm shocked!

But I think these people are few and far between. And anyhow, I just... *want* to write lyrical music now.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #11
Timothy Lawler

A good listen. I liked the tabla. Bring up the vocal.