Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
Liquid Fusion
Human being with feelings

Default Like to Mod Rec Rate to a Bold Number / Color

Hi. Transferring 3 3/4ips portastudio 4 trk cassettes to Reaper using a 1 7/8 ips cassette deck. Transfer trks 1/3, then 2/4 (as reverse sounds). In Reaper, I reverse 2/4 and double the speed : 1 7/8 X 2 = 3 3/4 ips. Problem is, I might forget Rate is 2X speed ( to preview transferred tracks at normal hearing) then use that screen to record more.

Like to make Rate as a solid color or solid color background around the Rate number: Green = Rate 1X and Red = Rate 2X.

Theme mods? Have these been done? Is it hard to do? Thanks.

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 01-26-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
ReaperMadness

Are you smokin' somethin' over there? Boy, are you doing things the hard way. Look around for an old portastudio.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
Liquid Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
Are you smokin' somethin' over there? Boy, are you doing things the hard way. Look around for an old portastudio.
Madness!! Great name for this conversation - Agree - no portastudios to be found that are 1) in good shape and 2) low cost. Ebay wants 400.00 - 700.00 for somewhat ok to good quality units. Might have to have it serviced: align heads, new heads, rubber cables. Extra expense. Uncertain downtime. Headache. Only need it for 20 or so 4 trk tapes. Plan B. Smoking Life in the real world.

Results are actually very good - sync to key events. Not hard to do if you have musician abilities: 1EANA 2EANA 3EANA. Found increasing tape width around winding hub changes track alignment due to hub width getting larger: songs deeper into the tape need very little cutting within the song when timing locks vs songs at the tape's start. You don't know what you're missing!!!

Tapes I'm working with: Trks 1 / 3 are vocals / keys (played w/perfect Julliard timing), and Trks 2/3 are drum machine / vocals. Aligning drums / keys can be a challenge. If timing changes during the song, just cut drums and align to keys as song progresses. Chose to cut drums as keys were flawless: the anchor to lock to. Do this. See how it sounds to the end of the song. Now, take vocal Trk 2/4 and match it to vocal Trk 1/3. Might have to cut the Trk 1/3 vocals and align them tighter to keys. Suddenly, your mix is better than the original! Want killer vocals? Blend in vocal from 1/3 with cut / aligned vocal 2/4 and unaligned vocal 2/4 - vary volume / pan on the three vocal tracks, and you have almost a holographic vocal. Sounds more surreal than you might think. Hard work? Yes. Had to mix the songs. Did what I had to do. Madness? Yes. Tell me what is not madness in the music world

Reaper made this work a breeze.

Is there a way to mod the RATE Number / background area ? Thanks.

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 01-26-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
lucas_LCS

Quote:
no portastudios to be found that are 1) in good shape and 2) low cost. Ebay wants 400.00 - 700.00 for somewhat ok to good quality units
$400 to $700!!
I might be willing to sell my 424 MK II for that kind cash.

enough about me

once you have the tracks in Reaper, have you thought about just exporting or rendering them to WAVs to lock them at that speed and alignment?
then you can just put the WAVs in new project and not have to worry about the rate setting if you want to add something.
I think that would be easier than altering a theme with some kind of 'rate' identifier (assuming that can even be done).

/

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 01-28-2017 at 02:11 PM.
lucas_LCS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
ivansc

Someone nicked my 234 years ago. Was a good machine with a better transport and electrics than the Portastudion/24x series.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
cretaceous

Damn - now I can't keep ignoring that very old tape on a shelf.
I thought the head alignment was too far off between a stereo deck and a 4 track?

Incidentally I had great results on old cassette material recorded with a stereo mike - a bit of mid /side can really open things up.
cretaceous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
FnA

Tried to find a 4-track a few years back. Same story.

If you put "tweak" in the action list filter you will find the theme tweak window. About a quarter of the way down you will find:

Project playrate control when not 1.0

It will color the knob or slider background, when not 1.0. I think the color is kind of weak, at least in the theme I use. I don't know if you/theme guy can brighten it. You should save theme settings you adjust like that, and before maybe. I think there is an action assigned to a key by default that will switch themes, wrecking any unsaved settings you have made.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote