Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Maceman
Human being with feelings

Default Korg M50/UX2/Reaper- Help!

Hi Guys,

I rented a Korg M50 for the month. I have it connected to my coputer via a Uno usb midi cord. I can see the signal, but don't hear anything.

I am using the M50 plug-in editor in reaper as an fx. I recorded some midi using a different plugin and it worked, i could hear it and it recorded midi. Playing that recorded midi back when selecting the korg m50 plugin is soundless though. I want to utilize the korg sounds rather than other stuff, so help setting this up would be appreciated.

Maceman
Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
EvilDragon

You probably need to route the track to MIDI out to which M50 is connected.

Click the "io" button on the track where you have M50 plugin loaded, then at the top right of that window select the MIDI output to which M50 is connected. Maybe now it will work?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Maceman

Hey, thanx for replying....

Ok, the only selection in the io is Uno Usb midi interface, which i now selected.

Still don't hear anything.

ok, stupid question now. Should my headphones be plug into the m50 or the UX2? You see, I can hear the m50 playing, but not playing back if i am in the m50. Alternatively, if i am plugged into the ux2, i can hear playback of other things, even midi recordings, but not the track with the m50 plugin. I ask this because i don't understand where to listen once it is routed back. you know what i mean?

At anyrate, if i have reaper set to"record midi: replace in existing items", i can see midi info now being recorded, but i still don't hear anything applied soundwise.
Thanx,
Maceman
Old 03-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Maceman

btw- i followed this to set-up the korg to the reaper:

http://benpittoors.wordpress.com/200...th-reaper-daw/
Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Do you have M50 connected to your soundcard input? If not, you should have.

For a quick test, try recording some MIDI and play it on the M50 plugin track. Connect headphones and see if there's any sound. If there is, then it's obvious that you need to send that sound to your soundcard.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Maceman

I have the M50 connected to a usb port on my computer. The uno midi interface has a midi in/out which is plugged into the M50...the other end of that cable is usb and is plugged into the computer.

In reaper, I have the audio device set-up to use the UX2 Asio soundcard. The Ux2 is connected to my coputer via USB as well.

The weird thing is that like i say, I can hear another plugin (VSTi Piano Module- 4front) which is using the M50 as the midi keyboard, and it is playing and i can hear and see everything being written in midi...but the M50 plugin is not working for me. I would think the problem should be reverse if anything, since the plugin and korg are hip-to-hip.

When i record on the m50 plugin track, i can see the midi being written, but no playback whatsoever.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Weird... I should direct you to M50 manual I guess, pardon me if you've already read it through and through ^^'
Old 03-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
Maceman

Says this in the manual:

"About the M50 Plug-In Editor Parameter data is sent and received between the M50 Plug-In Editor and the M50. Unlike typical plug-in instruments, the M50 Plug-In Editor does not produce an audio signal. Your M50 will output audio signals when the M50 Plug-In Editor sends it MIDI messages. If you want to send the M50’s audio signal to an audio track of your host application and use it in conjunction with a plug-in effect etc., refer to “Using your host application to control the M50’s audio signal”
Note: Because the M50 Plug-In Editor does not handle audio signals, you can’t insert a plug-in effect into the channel of the track in which the M50 Plug-In Editor is inserted, or send its audio signal via a send or bus."

I have to absorb all this as I am not sure what it means yet. I hope it doesn't mean there will be no sound.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
Maceman

Ok, reading further says this:

Start up your host application.
Start up “M50 Plug-In Editor” as a plug-in instrument. Create a MIDI track. Choose “M50 Plug-In Editor” as the output of that MIDI track.
To route the M50’s audio signal to your host application, create an audio track.
On the input section of that audio track, select the input that you connected the M50’s audio signal to.
Enable the monitor function on the audio track that will be receiving the audio signal from the M50.

I am lost.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Maceman

yehaaw!!

Ok, I figured it out.

I had to create another audio track, left the midi one alone.

On the midi track, i made a send to the audio track in the i/o.

Yehaaw!!!

Thanx for making me look at the manual. I should have started there i guess- lol

Maceman
Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
EvilDragon

Manual is always a great place to start
Old 04-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #12
Maceman

Hi All,

Sorry to bump this but I am having difficulties again. I had a good few days of a working system and then whammo- nothing.

In short, I am trying to use the Korg M50 in reaper. Everything is working as far as signals making it to the computer. Everything is set-up correctly, in fact i made a 'Korg M50 set-up' file and saved it once i had it working just in case i forgot, and even that is not working.
I have no sound.
After reading some threads, I am guessing it is the Korg midi-usb driver.

What can i further check if everything is set-up but no sound?? Thanx.

Maceman

ps. any other VST plugin works fine, i just get no sound from the M50 editor plugin........
Old 04-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #13
Maceman

I just found out the problem. My youngest had unplugged the 1/4" cable from the back of the M50

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.