COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > Wifight Discussion

Old 04-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Brennan
hey man

Default Want to help me test the offer/accept draw functionality?

If so, just grab the test build from http://wifight.com/test/wifight.prc and give it a shot.

Only Chess supports draw games at the moment. Games created from now onwards have support. Older games of chess will be upgraded with draw support on their next played turn.

I welcome any and all feedback! If there are no major problems then I'll build/post 0.23 and it's onwards and upwards.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:53 AM   #2
trgeoff
Human being with feelings

yeah great work Brennan!

the draw feature works perfectly so far, and does not appear to have affected any other of wifight's functions.

...and checkers needs this even more badly than chess, because draws are much more common.

One of the reasons I was looking forward to this is that it may help me to clear away some of my long list of games that arent going anywhere either because they are real draws or because my opponents just seem to to have lost interest.

In that regard, your to-do list might be lengthened even more with some mechanisms to discourage and deal with exceedingly long delays between moves, e.g

* basic: players lose a game (or it is at least aborted) if they have not made a move in, say, a month.

* advanced: some system of pre-agreed options as to the speed of the game (specified in the initial game challenge) eg a player must reply to their opponent's move within 12 or 24 (or 48 or 72, etc) hours.

In the latter case, maybe a timestamp for one's last move in the Game Details page could be included so that one could know one's current status.

Anyway, great to see a really substantive addition to wifight's capabilities!

cheers

geoff

Last edited by trgeoff; 04-24-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
Brennan
hey man

Excellent. Chess is that much more complete now then.

I'll enable draw offer/accept support for Checkers as well. I hadn't done it before because there seems to be no "authoritive" ruleset for Checkers and not all of them mention agreed draws. But it makes sense.

I agree, abandoned games are a bit of a problem. I was thinking of having some kind of button to mark games as abandoned, which would set a time limit (like a month?) on the other player to make a move or else the game would end. Maybe as a forfeit, maybe not. Not sure.

A builtin system of turn time limits would probably handle the problem as well. That's gonna be a bit bigger of a project, though. That would include turn timestamping as well.

Thanks for the feedback!