COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > The Camel Farm

Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Dan
up here in my tree

Default The Camelizer - talk about our Firefox add-on here

The idea: replace our three Greasemonkey scripts with one Firefox add-on, which adds our price history charts to product pages of Amazon, Best Buy, and Newegg.

The links:

Blog post about it: http://blog.camelcamelcamel.com/470/...ox-add-on.html
Install it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14392/
Digg it if you helping us out: http://digg.com/software/The_Cameliz...smart_shoppers

Please post any problems or feature requests!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
robertwallace
Human being with feelings

Default Popup graph with outrageous prices points.

Seeing unusual graph at this Amazon product:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-Grips-12-I...lcamelcamel-20

When I click through to the CCC sight, the graph appears much more reasonable.

I've seen this behavior on a few other products, but most products have popup graphs that look correct.

Robert
Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwallace View Post
Seeing unusual graph at this Amazon product:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-Grips-12-I...lcamelcamel-20

When I click through to the CCC sight, the graph appears much more reasonable.

I've seen this behavior on a few other products, but most products have popup graphs that look correct.

Robert
It looks like the problem there is that there was previously a Third Party Used price in the $2,000+ range, so for a $7 item it squishes the other price plots into essentially nothing.

Where else have you seen it?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Unregistered

Default Non firefox

I used the greasemonkey scripts on a non-firefox browser on a mobile device (greasemonkey was ported).

I can no longer use your service due to your blocking of the original scripts. Rather sad.

I also have issues with the firefox plugin as I no longer know what you recording of my activities within the browser.

cheers,

Old 09-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I used the greasemonkey scripts on a non-firefox browser on a mobile device (greasemonkey was ported).

I can no longer use your service due to your blocking of the original scripts. Rather sad.

I also have issues with the firefox plugin as I no longer know what you recording of my activities within the browser.

cheers,
We can look at re-enabling that for you, but you don't have to worry about privacy. The Firefox add-on is just a packaged version of the Greasemonkey script. You can view the source by renaming the .xpi file to .zip and extracting it, if you don't believe me :]

As has always been the case, both the Firefox add-on and the Greasemonkey scripts only send their version and the product ID / URL to our server so we can lookup the price data for you.

What mobile device has Greasemonkey support? That sounds neat!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Dan
up here in my tree

As a hack, you can always open up that Greasemonkey script .js file and change the version to "3". Install that to your mobile browser and it should work again.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Unregistered

Default Mobile Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
We can look at re-enabling that for you, but you don't have to worry about privacy. The Firefox add-on is just a packaged version of the Greasemonkey script. You can view the source by renaming the .xpi file to .zip and extracting it, if you don't believe me :]

As has always been the case, both the Firefox add-on and the Greasemonkey scripts only send their version and the product ID / URL to our server so we can lookup the price data for you.

What mobile device has Greasemonkey support? That sounds neat!
The device is the Nokia N800 (N800/810 series). The browser is a weird little thing called microb. Not too sure who did the greasemonkey port, but it has enabled me to get some of the adblock and security features of other browsers into the thing; which is rather nice.

I will try changing the version to 3.

Thanks,

Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
The device is the Nokia N800 (N800/810 series). The browser is a weird little thing called microb. Not too sure who did the greasemonkey port, but it has enabled me to get some of the adblock and security features of other browsers into the thing; which is rather nice.

I will try changing the version to 3.

Thanks,
Those sound like great features for a mobile browser. Let me know how it goes!
Old 11-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Unregistered

Default Not a Valid Install Package - 207

Hi.

Trying to install the Camelizer as a firefox add-on, I get this message:

Firefox could not install the file at

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...rc=addondetail

because: Not a valid install package

I am running Firefox 3.0.15 on Vista Home premium.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Hi.

Trying to install the Camelizer as a firefox add-on, I get this message:

Firefox could not install the file at

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...rc=addondetail

because: Not a valid install package

I am running Firefox 3.0.15 on Vista Home premium.

Thanks for your help.
Uninstall and try again, it's possible your download was corrupted. I just installed it in FF 3.5.5 (also in Vista) and it works like a charm.

Once I get back to the office tomorrow I will test it in your version of FF and let you know how that goes.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Unregistered

Default Camelizer Install Problem

How does one uninstall it? I just clicked on "Add to Firefox" from the https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14392 page.

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
Dan
up here in my tree

Open the Tools menu, and open the Add-ons dialog. Then right-click on the Camelizer entry and click uninstall.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
Unregistered

Default Tools Addons

Hmmm... it didn't show as installed but when I searched for it and installed it from Tools Addons it worked.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Dan
up here in my tree

Great! You probably just had a bad connection / error the first time you tried to install it.

Welcome to the party :]
Old 06-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #15
Powersupply

Exclamation Camelizer stopped working

I've been using Camelizer FF add-on for months and it has worked very well. Lately (about a week ago) it just stopped working. There is no indication on the screen that it is there - i.e. no Camelizer bar on the left side.

I have checked for updates, re-installed, etc. I installed it on a different computer that has never had it before and it did not work, either. Both computers are running FF 3.6.3 and XP Pro SP3

Old 06-19-2010, 05:00 AM   #16
Powersupply

Angry Amazon Issue

Oops, I checked your site and now see the notice that it is an Amazon Issue. First they got Charteo (Charteo.us), now you.

Very unfortunate. I hope Amazon sees the light and/or you can modify the program to be compliant (in their eyes).

Old 06-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #17
Nithya

We hope so too! And we're working towards it and hope to have a replacement out shortly.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
Dan
up here in my tree

A new version of the Camelizer has been released for public testing and feedback! Read the blog post about it (and get the install link) here: http://blog.camelcamelcamel.com/816/...r-firefox.html
Old 08-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
mrsmarilyn

Question Can't get Camel Add-On to work in FF

I installed the Camelcamelcamel add-on to Firefox (v 3.6.8 under Win XP). FF thinks it is installed (ie it's not showing as disabled, etc.) but nothing is displaying. Not on Amazon, not on NewEgg, not anywhere?? I've closed the browser and restarted, I've even rebooted. Nada. What else can I check?

Thank you.

Marilyn

Old 09-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #20
mbrook4949

Default I'm new to Camelizer 1.4 and I can't get it to work!

I just installed the extension and when I try to use it on Amazon, I always get "product not found." Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 09-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #21
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrook4949 View Post
I just installed the extension and when I try to use it on Amazon, I always get "product not found." Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
I'm sorry to hear it isnt't working for you. Could you please provide some sample URLs to help us debug it?

If the products have variations, like shoe or tshirt colors and sizes, then that is a known limitation of our code at this time. You have to view the url of the specific variation for it to work...
Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #22
Unregistered

Default Not seeing anything

Just installed the addon. I guess I'm super late to the party, as I've been using Amazon for ages, but haven't used any of the camel sites or the addon before. Well, it all sounds great, I just installed the addon, v 1.4, firefox v3.6.1, but I don't see anything. Not on Amazon, not on Newegg, nothing. Is there supposed to be a button somewhere? There's litterally no change to the browser or sites that I can tell. I've tried looking at a few different items on both sites, and restarted the browser again, but still to no avail.

Am I missing something?

I guess I'm having the same issue as mrsmarilyn.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #23
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Just installed the addon. I guess I'm super late to the party, as I've been using Amazon for ages, but haven't used any of the camel sites or the addon before. Well, it all sounds great, I just installed the addon, v 1.4, firefox v3.6.1, but I don't see anything. Not on Amazon, not on Newegg, nothing. Is there supposed to be a button somewhere? There's litterally no change to the browser or sites that I can tell. I've tried looking at a few different items on both sites, and restarted the browser again, but still to no avail.

Am I missing something?

I guess I'm having the same issue as mrsmarilyn.
You should see a camel icon in the bottom right corner of your browser. If not, you can right click on the toolbar at the top of the browser and click "customize", which will let you add buttons to the toolbar; in the list of available buttons, you should see a camel.

If you can't find a camel in either location, I suggest disabling all addons except the Camelizer to see if there is a conflict with some other addon.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #24
bkrodgers

Any plans or ETA for a FF 4 compatible version? Just took the plunge on the beta, and camelizer is among the addons I'm missing most.

As you may know, there's no longer a status bar. There is an "add-on bar" that can be turned on at the bottom, but I think that's somewhat discouraged, in favor of letting the user put it wherever they want in a toolbar on top. I'm not sure if you have to do anything to allow the user to move it where they want, but if you do, please do set it up so we have that flexibility. The add-on bar at the bottom is kind of pointless now.

Since toolbar space on top is in a bit shorter supply, would it be possible to have the icon hide itself completely and give back the space when you're not on a camelizer supported site? I'm not sure if the framework allows for that, but it'd be cool if it did!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #25
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
Any plans or ETA for a FF 4 compatible version? Just took the plunge on the beta, and camelizer is among the addons I'm missing most.

As you may know, there's no longer a status bar. There is an "add-on bar" that can be turned on at the bottom, but I think that's somewhat discouraged, in favor of letting the user put it wherever they want in a toolbar on top. I'm not sure if you have to do anything to allow the user to move it where they want, but if you do, please do set it up so we have that flexibility. The add-on bar at the bottom is kind of pointless now.

Since toolbar space on top is in a bit shorter supply, would it be possible to have the icon hide itself completely and give back the space when you're not on a camelizer supported site? I'm not sure if the framework allows for that, but it'd be cool if it did!
We definitely plan on supporting it, but, to be honest, I haven't been keeping up with the Firefox release schedule.

Thanks for the reminder, I will try to get support for FF 4 going soon. Maybe after this next update I'm trying to get launched!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #26
bkrodgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
We definitely plan on supporting it, but, to be honest, I haven't been keeping up with the Firefox release schedule.

Thanks for the reminder, I will try to get support for FF 4 going soon. Maybe after this next update I'm trying to get launched!
Cool! I'm really looking forward to it!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #27
bkrodgers

Hey Dan, now that FireFox 4 is final, I thought it might be a good time to ask if you've got any update on a FF4 compatible version.

Anything I can do to help? Testing? I'm a software developer, though I haven't done any FF development.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #28
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
Hey Dan, now that FireFox 4 is final, I thought it might be a good time to ask if you've got any update on a FF4 compatible version.

Anything I can do to help? Testing? I'm a software developer, though I haven't done any FF development.
There are no real roadblocks, other than figuring out what Mozilla changed between 3.x and 4.x and making the code work with both versions...

I'll be sure to send you any dev. builds we need tested, thanks for offering.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #29
Unregistered

Default Firefox 4

Hey Dan

I was wondering can i be included in the dev build testing for Firefox for i find this add extremely useful for my work. I just updated to Firefox 4 and feel lost without it

Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #30
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Hey Dan

I was wondering can i be included in the dev build testing for Firefox for i find this add extremely useful for my work. I just updated to Firefox 4 and feel lost without it
Sure. Just shoot me an email (dan@shup.com) and I'll reply with the new version of the Camelizer.

What work do you do that is enhanced by our addon? :]
Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #31
Unregistered

Default Can't see Camelizer

Hi I just installed Camerlizer 1.4 with firefox 3.6, but could get any graphs up in amazon. Do I have to click something or should it come up as soon as I go to an item?. I tried upgrading to Firfox 4.0 but says it isn't compatible so should I downgrade? Thanks Mike

Old 03-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #32
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Hi I just installed Camerlizer 1.4 with firefox 3.6, but could get any graphs up in amazon. Do I have to click something or should it come up as soon as I go to an item?. I tried upgrading to Firfox 4.0 but says it isn't compatible so should I downgrade? Thanks Mike
You should see a Camel icon in your status bar (and one is available to be placed in the Toolbar up top as well.) Click either of these icons on an Amazon product page and our chart should load.

Firefox 4 support is on the way!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #33
LordHog

Smile Awaiting

Good to see that support for Firefox 4 is coming. I haven't updated to Firefox at home yet as I can't live without The Camelizer!!!

Old 06-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #34
carlman

Running Firefox version 3.6.17 on Mac 10.5.8. I love the addon, but as soon I added it I noticed increased slow scrolling. The pinwheel became a normal occurrence when visiting any page, choppy scrolling, etc. I tried it for a week or so, emptying caches, freeing up space, etc, no help. As soon as I disabled Camelizer my scrolling is back to smooth. This really sucks cause I love the addon. Any solutions to this?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #35
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlman View Post
Running Firefox version 3.6.17 on Mac 10.5.8. I love the addon, but as soon I added it I noticed increased slow scrolling. The pinwheel became a normal occurrence when visiting any page, choppy scrolling, etc. I tried it for a week or so, emptying caches, freeing up space, etc, no help. As soon as I disabled Camelizer my scrolling is back to smooth. This really sucks cause I love the addon. Any solutions to this?
No solution at the moment, but I will fire up OSX somehow (Windows user here) and see if I can figure out why it's being slow.

Have you tried Firefox 4 to see if it is better there?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #36
carlman

I tried firefox 4 before I found Camelizer and just found it much slower and buggier than 3.6. I will keep an eye on the forums if anything changes. Thanks!