Old 09-29-2016, 01:24 AM   #1
Tale
Human being with feelings

Default Duplicate VST preset names (FIXED)

REAPER doesn't seem to like it if two VST built-in presets have the same name.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Download and install Pianoteq demo (tested with v5.7.1).
2. Load "VSTi: Pianoteq 5 (Modartt) (5 out)" in REAPER (tested in v5.25+ x86 and v5.25 x64).
3. Select preset "D4 Classical Recording" from REAPER's VST built-in programs downdown list. Notice that there are two presets with this name, select the first one. This will select the "D4 Classical Recording BA" preset in Pianoteq's GUI.
4. Now select the second "D4 Classical Recording" from the list. This will select the "D4 Classical Recording AB" preset. However, in REAPER's dropdown list the first one is still selected (I guess because REAPER selects by name rather than by index).

This is a very long-standing bug (I seem to remember reporting this during v4.0 development), so I guess it's not really much of a problem, but it would be nice to have this fixed eventually.

Note that Pianoteq could also fix this by using unique VST2 (23-char) preset names. However, I have seen the same with a bunch of other VSTs, so it would be good to fix in REAPER if somewhat possible.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Part of the issue here is that pianoteq doesn't actually change programs here when changing programs in its UI, it just updates the settings (and name) of the current program.

There are bugs in REAPER's handling of this, no doubt, but even if we fix them, the program handling of this plug-in will still be wonky.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #3
EvilDragon

Thankfully Modartt are cool devs which take these sorts of things into account, so contacting them and explaining the issue should get it fixed in the next update or something.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Tale

Actually I was using Pianoteq only as an example, I also see this in e.g. ComboSister, where I was going though the presets using the up/dpwn arrows, but then got stuck because of a duplicate name. Or e.g. in FerricTDS the last couple of presets are all called "-", so you can't directly select the last preset in the list. Fortunately you can rename the first "-", after which you can select the second one, rename that one, etc.

Anyhow, all this is not really a problem, more of a nitpick, but I just thought I'd report it anyway.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
Tale

Fixed in v5.26.