Old 11-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
doctrine
Human being with feelings

Default Free Drums for Dummies

Greetings all!
I have an issue I need to (or more preferably would like to) solve. I'm total newbie to this all and English isn't even my native language, so if possible, please write instructions for complete Dummies like my self

I have installed Reaper and I can manage to record with it. I even managed to produce mp3 with it (yipee, thanks to this forum :P ). Now I would like to add some drums to my tune and this is the part I need all possible help with. Money is an issue for me. I can't pay for the software so please write everything that's possible that in mind.

What is the best (free) software for making drums? I don't have Midi keyboard or any separate fancy accessory, just this plain keyboard and a lot of desire to get things done

If you could write complete hands-on instructions, explaining what should I do and where, ie. "Then select the X from the Y menu and write this and that to the Z part" etc.. I'm dazzled by all these terms in English and I have to read this forum with the CockosWiki glossary open so that I understand all the acronyms etc.. And I'm sure that if you write me a detailed instructions it will be highly appreciated by everyone looking for similar info, and who knows, you might even get stickied! :P So please, a detailed how-to guide for dummies
doctrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Fabian

You can download pc_drums_42.exe (and other stuff) from here http://www.personalcopy.com/sfonts.htm and install it in some directory like Sounds. Then you need to download this http://www.rgcaudio.com/downloads/freeware/sfz197.exe, and install into wherever it wants to be installed, and then you copy (or move) the file sfz197.dll into your REAPER/Plugins directory. Restart Reaper. Now you can add sfz as an FX to a track, and load into sfz the PCdrums. Then you have an FX that will play quite OK drums for you on MIDI notes. Insert a MIDI item on the track, and try out the piano roll. On some keys (a lot, actually) you will hear the drums and other sounds.

You can also check out this thread http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=5888.

Note that the Reaper forum has a search facility that works very well.

HTH
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
DerMetzgermeister

This is the current link to the soundfont player: http://www.project5.com/products/ins...er/default.asp
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
doctrine

Thanks for the info.
I *did* search the forum, but apparently I didn't use the right keywords, as all I found was some jargon and some stuff you got to pay for.

I tried to add the sfz as an effectto a track but I can't find it from the list. I copied the dll to the directory like you said and then started the Reaper... I'm also quite lost of that MIDI item you mentioned.. :P

[edit]
okay, appeared after couple program restarts. Will try to figure the rest out

Last edited by doctrine; 11-15-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
doctrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
You can also check out this thread http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=5888.
Checked out. The links are dead...

Like I said, I need really dummy instructions. I have no experience in digital recording what so ever. I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it but I couldn't get anything useful out of your post. Yea I know, it's me
Old 11-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Fabian

OK doc, let's see, it was some time since I did this. Luckily I have a "virgin" computer right here...

You downloaded sfz197.exe from the link provided by DerMeister, ok? I did that just now. Then you double clicked on it, and installed it in some dir. I forgot to say, you have to set the Reaper VST plugin path to point to this directory. You do this under Options | Preferences | Plugins | VST. Rescan the directory. Now sfz should be available as an FX. Ok?

Now for the drum sounds. Download the PCDrums, see previous post. Run and install. You should get a file PC Drums 42a.sfpack. Now, you will also need this http://www.personalcopy.com/sfpack.htm. Install it in the same dir as you have your sfpack file. Run sfpack.exe, and load the PC Drums sfpack. Click Go! and a file PC Drums 42a.sf2 will be generated (I agree, this is really stupid, too much work, but it is the way it is). This file, the sf2-file you can no load into your sfz plugin. Ok?

You might get the dreaded "Not enough memory" error (I did!). If so, try different modes for the sfz (see also here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...&highlight=sfz). Once it's loaded it seems you can change the mode back. If you get problems with delay, try different mode.

Now for some MIDI. Insert a MIDI item on the track (menu Insert | New MIDI Item). Double click this item, and a piano roll will show wit ha grid to its right. Click the C2 key. You should hear a bass drum beat. Ok? And D2 will give you a snare drum, right?

Notice that depending on where you click the key, left to right, you will have differently hard hits.

Now, double click in the grid. This should produce a small black rectangle, as well as a drum beat corresponding to the piano key to the left. Ok? You can put in such rectangles where you want. Put in for both the bass drum and the snare. When you're satisfied, close the MIDI window, and run your track. You should hear drumming, and you have just produced your first MIDI sequence. Ok?

Now, play around with this. Read up on MIDI. Search the forum. have fun.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrine View Post
Checked out. The links are dead...

Like I said, I need really dummy instructions. I have no experience in digital recording what so ever. I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it but I couldn't get anything useful out of your post. Yea I know, it's me
Yes, all the "putstuff" links are dead. But I hope my previous post helps... I'll rephrase see if it adds meaning.

1. Run sfz197.exe and install the sfz.dll in some dir, say "Plugin"
2. Set Reapers VST plugin path to this Plugin dir
3. Restart Reaper, insert a track, insert an FX, filter for sfz, should show VSTi: sfz (rgc...)
4. Run pc_drums_42.exe, install PC Drums 42a.sfpack in the Plugin dir
5. Copy/drag the SFPACK.EXE and the other files from that rar-file to the Plugin dir
6. Run SFPACK.EXE, load PC Drums 42a.sfpack, click Go!
7. Back to reaper and sfz, load into sfz the PC Drums 42a.sf2, close FX window
8. In Reaper, click menu Insert | New MIDI Item, double click this new item
9. Click on the piano keys, this should now produce sound
10. Double clicking in the grid will add black rectangles, when playing the track each rectangle will make a drum sound.

Ok?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
sparklism

Just wanted to say that I followed all of the instructions in this thread, and it worked a treat - thanks guys!!
sparklism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Fabian

Great Spark,
Maybe I ought to edit that stuff somewhat and put in the wiki. Someday... soon...
Old 11-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Tedwood

Free drums for dummies.....?

Here is just what the doctor ordered

http://www.bluenoise.no/mydrumset.html

To get them working follow these instructions below..

Put the .dll file you downloaded into your VST folder, if you don't have one create one.

If you haven't selected a VST directory yet you need to tell Reaper where to find the VSTs in your preferences - under VSTs

Tell Reaper to scan for your new plugins

Then open the VST (mydrumset) on a track by clicking on the FX button and selecting (double click or drag it to a track) the VST you just installed from the plugins window, you should now see your drumset

To play, program and record with it

Insert a midi item onto the track and open the item in the midi editor by right clicking and selecting open in built in midi editor now you can hit the keys on the "piano roll". You can also input notes into the editor directly using the mouse

If you get that all working then you can try connecting your qwerty keyboard to the track by opening the "virtual midi keyboard" (press Alt+B) and right-clicking the vu meter on the track and selecting the Virtual midi keyboard from inputs

Last edited by Tedwood; 11-24-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
tomrivers

i just followed this. after a bit of fiddling - succes!! the samples are really good!! great quality thanks.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:43 AM   #12
WOK!

You might look in this list and download something and put it in your VST-plugins directory:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode...sort=3&rpp=100
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
DerMetzgermeister

The Native Instruments free Kore player have a lot of instruments, among them a very nice acoustic drum kit, and it works with the General Midi note map.
http://www.native-instruments.com/in...?id=koreplayer

It's a very cool VST instrument but beware, the activation process is convoluted, annoying and will test your patience. At least for me it was like that.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
Smurf

I have used leafDrums in the past, it is easy to work with. You can go HERE and grab over 250 simple patterns that I made to get folks started.

Have Fun!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
BigonaBianchi

Quote:
Free drums for dummies.....?

Here is just what the doctor ordered

http://www.bluenoise.no/mydrumset.html

To get them working follow these instructions below..

Put the .dll file you downloaded into your VST folder, if you don't have one create one.

If you haven't selected a VST directory yet you need to tell Reaper where to find the VSTs in your preferences - under VSTs

Tell Reaper to scan for your new plugins

Then open the VST (mydrumset) on a track by clicking on the FX button and selecting (double click or drag it to a track) the VST you just installed from the plugins window, you should now see your drumset

To play, program and record with it

Insert a midi item onto the track and open the item in the midi editor by right clicking and selecting open in built in midi editor now you can hit the keys on the "piano roll". You can also input notes into the editor directly using the mouse

If you get that all working then you can try connecting your qwerty keyboard to the track by opening the "virtual midi keyboard" (press Alt+B) and right-clicking the vu meter on the track and selecting the Virtual midi keyboard from inputs
Hi all...first poster here...and total reaper dork to boot!

I think I followed these instructions right but when I open up the midi editor I see the keyboard and the grid but nothing happens when I push the keyboard keys or click in the grid....I probably messed up somewhere. I can see the drum kit image in the FX screen ok.

This si all new to me..so if anybody feels happy to help please do not be afraid to spell it all out in words a 2 year old could understand
Old 01-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigonaBianchi View Post
Hi all...first poster here...and total reaper dork to boot!

I think I followed these instructions right but when I open up the midi editor I see the keyboard and the grid but nothing happens when I push the keyboard keys or click in the grid....I probably messed up somewhere. I can see the drum kit image in the FX screen ok.

This si all new to me..so if anybody feels happy to help please do not be afraid to spell it all out in words a 2 year old could understand
You added the VST as an FX to the track?
You added a MIDI item on the same track?
You tried all the keys on the piano roll? Only some of them trigger sounds, I guess (haven't tested but typically this is so).
You have audio from other tracks in the same project?
You see the meter on the track and the master track moving when you click some key?
You are tired of my questions yet? :-)
Old 01-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
BigonaBianchi

Hi and MANY thanks for trying to help me here!

here you can see what i see. I have jus tone track loaded with a drum part. I went to insert and clicked on a new midi part which gave me th egreen section (is that correct?) Then I clicked on the green section and selected as per the mouse arrow.

[IMG]http://img512.**************/img512/1538/32848729va6.jpg[/IMG]

Then when I click on th eFX icon on th etrack I see this:

[IMG]http://img291.**************/img291/4882/95301131ch4.jpg[/IMG]

When I right click on the track and open th emido thing I see this:

[IMG]http://img518.**************/img518/1719/52958219jh4.jpg[/IMG]

when I hit any key nothing happens. when I click on the grid nothing happens. I am not really sure what I should expect to happen here either...but I am thinking I should hear drum hits which I can build somehow into a pattern??
Old 01-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #18
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigonaBianchi View Post

when I hit any key nothing happens. when I click on the grid nothing happens. I am not really sure what I should expect to happen here either...but I am thinking I should hear drum hits which I can build somehow into a pattern??
I notice in the last picture that the keyboard range is around C9.

I don't use this VSTi, so I can't be sure, but have you tried clicking on lower keyboard notes? At a guess the sounds might be somewhere in the range C0 to C2.

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
BigonaBianchi

Hi Pete...yes I just checked on those keys as well ans still nothing. Looking at the steps/stages I have taken above would you say I followed the instruction earlier in this thread correctly??

I have jus tmanaged to get it to do something when I click in the grid (but not on the keys) and I still hear nothing.

[IMG]http://img210.**************/img210/9995/49069559py5.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by BigonaBianchi; 01-16-2009 at 06:09 PM.
BigonaBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #20
stratman

I can't see anything obviously wrong. I was going to try it mystelf but it's a big download and it's getting very later here.

Just to check, if you load up ReaSynth instead do you hear anything?

Pete
Old 01-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #21
thatbastarddon

you need to be in C3-C4 range of the keyboard to find the sounds you're after with the bluenoise kit.
thatbastarddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #22
harphunt

Default Bigona...

Don't insert fx into a track. Try this...

1.FILE -> new project

2. Right click in empty TCP (or click INSERT) and select "Insert virtual instrument on new track..."

3. Choose "Mydrumset" from VSTi menu.

4. Press "OK" and let Reaper build the tracks. The fx window should show "My drumset" as you have shown above. "X"/close the box.

5. VIEW -> "Show Virtual MIDI Keyboard." Click on keyboard around C3/4 and you should hear the drums. You can close the keyboard if you like.

6. With track one highlighted, INSERT -> New MIDI item.

7. Right-click in the newly created "item" and choose "Open items with built-in MIDI editor (Alt+Ctrl+E). The piano roll should now be open, just waiting for you to click on the keys and hear sounds or click in the cells to create a drum pattern.

I've found the user guide well written, invaluable and well worth the $7 for a pdf file.

peace

Last edited by harphunt; 01-16-2009 at 08:29 PM.
harphunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #23
stratman

Just downloaded it and yes harphunt is correct.

So you should see something like the picture below if you followed his instructions correctly.

Pete
Old 01-17-2009, 03:17 AM   #24
WOK!

The "My Drumset" is sampled with very high dynamic headroom, means the drums are farely quiet. Without a compressor you have to turn the volume up very much to hear something.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #25
BigonaBianchi

Yehawh!...It's working!

Mnay thanks guys, much appreciated.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #26
Smurf

Thanks to some folks here I got MyDrumset up and running with very few problems.

From This Post I got the MyDrumset Template, and from This Post (towards the bottom) I got the GM map set (Thank You OrenS!).

I followed these instructions from OrenS....

"What I do is place the file in the /reaper/data/ix keymaps folder, and then simply stick an instance of JS:IX/MIDI_KeyMap (and load the map, of course) before the MyDrumset VSTi."

Select Channel 10, and the Groove Monkey files took off playing the MyDrumset sounds.....fantastic!

What I do is load the MyDrumset Template, then the JS:IX/MIDI_KeyMap and move it to the top of the list. Load OrenS file, and within 4 clicks I have a good sounding free EZD style set.

(I have yet to get my Oddgroove or any regular GM files to play, but I have not tried out all the settings yet either, so this is more than likely user error....

Thanks goes out, Again, to everyone that shares their knowledge so freely!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #27
sjs

Hallo I´m verry new here and in recording, I´ve in to dayes non stop try to get the mtdrumset in to my Reaper it still dont work

" Put the .dll file you downloaded into your VST folder, if you don't have one create one"

Maby thats the problem but how can I create a vst Folder

Hope you can help
Thanks
Lars
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #28
moodswinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs View Post
Hallo I´m verry new here and in recording, I´ve in to dayes non stop try to get the mtdrumset in to my Reaper it still dont work

" Put the .dll file you downloaded into your VST folder, if you don't have one create one"

Maby thats the problem but how can I create a vst Folder

Hope you can help
Thanks
Lars
The same as you would any other folder.
On my computer I have a folder I keep all my music plug-ins called "Production Tools"

So my Folder path looks like this:
C:\program files\Production tools

I added my "VST-VSTi" folder here so it looks like this:
C:\program files\Production tools\VST-VSTi

Then open REAPER & go
Options > Preferences > (down to) Plug-ins > VST
then click "Auto-Detect" and let REAPER find it, or...
Click "Add" and point (browse) to it yourself.

Cheers & Welcome to the Forums,
MoodSwinger
if there's a sound you play, that doesn't fit today,
why not just play the bastard anyway.

Be Schitzophonic.
moodswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #29
apieceoftofu

hey anyone know how this would werk on a Mac runnning OSX? Im pretty sure i cant run .exe files so how can a mac user get drums?
apieceoftofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #30
reapercurious

HERE IS A GREAT LINK TO EVERY FREEWARE DRUM SYNTH IN WORLD:

http://docs.google.com/View?docID=df...=_latest&hgd=1
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #31
reapercurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Yes, all the "putstuff" links are dead. But I hope my previous post helps... I'll rephrase see if it adds meaning.
http://www.mediafire.com/?xnvytq4mqmh

this is the link to the sound font drum kit that was dead at the other links. it was further down the page at http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=5888.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #32
arbogast

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post

Really nice link! Thx.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #33
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post

Good Lord! That's a lot of stuff there. Thanks for sharing.
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #34
bluzkat

Wow, what a gem!!
Old 08-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #35
reapercurious

a user on this forum made that link but i forgot who, i dont claim the links, i just try to stay on topic.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #36
Porky4

Default Octave shift (not just on drums)

Hi folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbastarddon View Post
you need to be in C3-C4 range of the keyboard to find the sounds you're after with the bluenoise kit.
I've followed the excellent instructions detailed in the posts for the Bluenoise My Drumset and I get the beats as I hit the keys on my MIDI keyboard. The problem is that when I hit keys in the C3 and up range as suggested (I actually get sounds mapped up to A#5), it shows up in the piano roll as one octave higher (C4 -> A#6). I've not knowingly set anything to shift octaves. I've just checked and the same occurs for other VSTs (eg Wusik Station).

As you can see I am very new to Reaper and although I'm devouring the tutorials and manual as quickly as I can, at the rate I'm taking it all in, it'll be Xmas before I can sort this out myself.

What's shifting the keyboard octave? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul.
Porky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #37
Porky4

Default More information

Hi folks,

I appreciate the octave shift I reported is not a solely drums related issue, although that's where I first found the problem. I have checked with Cubase and Sequel and they are both registering and recording my keyboard correctly, with no octave shift.

I have found a parameter in Reaper preferences such that when I set Octave Name Display Offset to -1, it records the keystrokes correctly in the piano roll. ie. I hit C3 and it records C3 and not C4! Why should Reaper "out of the box" record in the piano roll with a octave shift?

I don't like the setting of the parameter because I don't understand why I need to.

All help gratefully received.

Paul

PS. Should I take this out to a separate thread?
Old 08-09-2009, 03:05 AM   #38
Porky4

Default Issue moved to separate thread.

The octave shift problem has been moved to a searate thead.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...863#post355863

Paul.