Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #1
gvdv
Human being with feelings

Default Help Please - Playing Back Tracks without Audio Interace Connected?

Hi,
I have been getting to know Reaper very gradually over the past couple of years, using it for very basic recording for a while, and then not using it for a long time.

I am experiencing an issue (using my new laptop, and a new audio interface), that I am quite certain I did not experience before, but I may be wrong about this because, as I said above, I have not got to know Reaper well enough, and have not used it consistently enough, to recall every aspect of what I have previously experienced.

When I create a project in Reaper, and attempt to play back the tracks after I have disconnected my audio interface, I get an error message saying that Reaper could not find the interface, and I cannot play back the tracks I recorded.

I am fairly sure that I was able to play back tracks previously when my audio interface was not connected.

Could someone please tell me if I am correct about this, and what I would have to do, if it is possible, to be able to play back the tracks.

Thanks.
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
DarkStar

In Preferences > Audio > Device, select 'Dummy audio'?

But you won't hear anything.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
gvdv

Hi Darkstar,
Many thanks for the post.

Found my way there just before I saw your post, and was able to hear playback.

Why did you think I would not be able to hear anything?

Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Lokasenna

"Dummy audio" means there's no audio output, so you shouldn't be able to hear anything.

Are you sure you didn't pick "DirectSound" or "WaveOut"? They would let you use your OS's default sound card.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
gvdv

Hi Lokasenna,
Thanks.

I will double check tomorrow what I should pick.

What, then, is the advantage in picking 'Dummy Audio' - not understanding DarkStar's suggestion of using that.

And how should I go about playing back the audio that I have just recorded? I have chosen ASIO as the driver for the audio interface I am currently using (Roland Tri Capture), but should I be choosing another driver, or is there another setting that I should be using in order to play back the audio?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
gvdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
"Dummy audio" means there's no audio output, so you shouldn't be able to hear anything.

Are you sure you didn't pick "DirectSound" or "WaveOut"? They would let you use your OS's default sound card.
Just checked, and, yes, you are right, I did choose the 'Direct Sound' option in the drivers.

Thanks for spotting that.

So, I am stumped here.

Is there any way that I can record, then listen to playback of the recorded tracks, if I do not have my audio interface connected?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 AM   #7
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
... And how should I go about playing back the audio that I have just recorded? I have chosen ASIO as the driver for the audio interface I am currently using (Roland Tri Capture), but should I be choosing another driver, or is there another setting that I should be using in order to play back the audio?
Quote:
Is there any way that I can record, then listen to playback of the recorded tracks, if I do not have my audio interface connected?
If you want to use the Roland Tri Capture, select the Roland ASIO driver as Audio Device in the Preferences (which according to your post you already do).
Otherwise for playback when the Roland Tri Capture is not connected, you'll have to select the internal soundcard of the laptop as Audio device in Reaper.

Can you post which laptop and Windows version are you using?

Last edited by solger; 03-20-2017 at 03:26 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
gvdv

Hi solger,
Thanks for your reply.

Here is a list of my equipment/specs. re what you asked.

Acer Spin SP513-51 laptop, 64 bit

i5 6200U cpu

8 GB RAM

Win 10

Basic tracking goes well, but if I want to record with effects, I begin to get unacceptable latency (I have not yet tried to adjust for this).

From what you said, I understand that if I do some recording, and subsequently want to listen to the recording of those tracks (i.e., not rendered) in Reaper, I will either have to have my Roland Tri Capture (or another audio interface) connected, OR, in the event that I do not have an audio interface connected, I will have to go into Preferences, and switch to my laptop's soundcard (which in my case, I can access through Direct Sound).

Is that correct?

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #9
Fergler

Record with the Tri Capture in Asio, and then playback when it's disconnected using WASAPI.

Avoid DirectSound and WaveOut as both are total garb. Especially DirectSound, it actually changes the audio for the worse whereas at least WaveOut is just laggy.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
solger

Quote:
From what you said, I understand that if I do some recording, and subsequently want to listen to the recording of those tracks (i.e., not rendered) in Reaper, I will either have to have my Roland Tri Capture (or another audio interface) connected, OR, in the event that I do not have an audio interface connected, I will have to go into Preferences, and switch to my laptop's soundcard ...

Is that correct?
Yeah.

And as Fergler already mentioned, when using the laptop soundcard, it's preferable to select WASAPI as audio system.

Quote:
Basic tracking goes well, but if I want to record with effects, I begin to get unacceptable latency (I have not yet tried to adjust for this).
Have a look at some audio optimization tips in general:

- https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...C-Optimisation
- https://support.native-instruments.c...dio-Processing
- https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/supp...-for-daws.html
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE

Last edited by solger; 03-21-2017 at 09:56 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote