Old 05-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default Global channel in midi editor?

Is there a way I can draw into piano roll with omni channel notes?

I'd like to audition through some different instruments in Kontakt, and it would be a lot easier to leave the data on whatever channel and then I could just add instruments, mute old ones, or maybe even layer them.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
DarkStar

"Omni" is not a MIDI channel. In a Kontakt instrument, it just means receive notes on any MIDI channel".

It sounds like you want to be able to add / remove / layer instruments in Kontakt without messing about with the MIDI channels there. In the Options window / Handling tab, set the 'MIDI channel assignment' drop-down to 'Assign to omni'.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
"Omni" is not a MIDI channel. In a Kontakt instrument, it just means receive notes on any MIDI channel".

It sounds like you want to be able to add / remove / layer instruments in Kontakt without messing about with the MIDI channels there. In the Options window / Handling tab, set the 'MIDI channel assignment' drop-down to 'Assign to omni'.
Right, man, I'm an idiot. I can't get them to automatically load up in omni though, right? I mean, whether I switch it to omni, or channel 1, doesn't matter, it's the same work.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
DarkStar

If you set the option in Kontakt then any instrument added should have its MIDI channel set to 'Omni' Doesn't that happen? Then you can just drag in any desired instruments.

Then it will respond to MIDI from Reaper on any MIDI channel.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
Sound asleep

Quote:
If you set the option in Kontakt then any instrument added should have its MIDI channel set to 'Omni' Doesn't that happen? Then you can just drag in any desired instruments.

Then it will respond to MIDI from Reaper on any MIDI channel.
Oh ya, ok cool. I thought you meant in the drop down menu. I see though that there is the option to set the default to next available or omni. I generally don't like to use one instance of kontakt for multiple instruments, so that's much better for me. Thx.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
Sound asleep

I found a new reason why being able to draw "all channel" midi notes would be useful. Some instruments have articulations triggered by specific midi notes being played but that are inaudible, like C-1. So, if I wanted to trigger all of my horns to do a staccato note, having a global midi note I can draw could change all of the articualtions at once. It would be much faster and easier.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:48 AM   #7
DarkStar

"all channel" midi notes are not a thing.

If you want a single key press to key-switch articulations on many channels, use a JS FX to replicate the notes.

>>> https://i.imgur.com/zItLZpo.png

How to install a JS FX (in Post #4)
Attached Files
File Type: txt Note_Replicator_DS.txt (5.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
Sound asleep

Quote:

If you want a single key press to key-switch articulations on many channels, use a JS FX to replicate the notes.

>>> https://i.imgur.com/zItLZpo.png

How to install a JS FX (in Post #4)
Quote:
Why not? I mean, I could imagine being able to program an "all midi channel" mode where whatever you draw is just a single visual representation of every midi note stacked which are all linked and can't be separated.

Or did you mean it's just not a thing in reaper, but could be?

I don't really understand the JS FX you linked to, but I think it might just be easier to do what I was doing. I found that if you select a midi note with a marquee, it selects all the notes underneath it, so, I draw in 4 notes, use numbers on keyboard to give them each a channel 1-4 and then stack them, and copy paste if they are close by, or just re-do the stack if I can't be bothered because the last one was too far away.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
DarkStar

"All channel" notes are not part of the MIDI Specification.

Yes, Reaper could be programmed to create 16 MIDI notes when one is edited in a MIDI clip or received from a MIDI keyboard.

The JS FX, when it receives any note on the selected channel and within the selected range, outputs 16 MIDI notes, one on each MIDI channel. That's what Reaper would too too.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #10
Icchan

If you need to mess with complex articulations constantly, you want to check out the Reaticulate and get familiar with it. Very nice piece of software:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200022
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #11
Sound asleep

Quote:
"All channel" notes are not part of the MIDI Specification.

Yes, Reaper could be programmed to create 16 MIDI notes when one is edited in a MIDI clip or received from a MIDI keyboard.

The JS FX, when it receives any note on the selected channel and within the selected range, outputs 16 MIDI notes, one on each MIDI channel. That's what Reaper would too too.
Right I got you. I didn't mean 16 separates notes though extactly. I mean there would be technically 16 notes, but they'd look like just one note, and behave like one note. It would be an omni channel note, for all intents and purposes, but it would only exist as a thing within reaper. Idk about how easy something like that would be to do in reaper, but, it could be cool. Just an "all" channel.

So that would just work under the hood all the time? It seems like a good solution, but it's a bit clunky for this particular application I think. It's a pain but the work around I was using I think would still make more sense for me, but thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #12
DarkStar

Have another look at the screenshot.

The purple note is a C-1 is a single note in the MIDI clip. The other notes are "playable" notes. All those notes go the JS FX. When the C-1 is detected the 16 C-1 notes are generated. All the other notes are just passed straight through.

If that is not what you are looking for, please post a request on the Feature Request sub-forum.