Old 08-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
ProfRhino
Human being with feelings

Default locator displays

locator displays with mousewheel- & keyboard input in the transport window, and please make them a decent size
maybe even with pre- / post roll ?
check Cubase, Logic, PT, hardware - they all have them, it makes sense.

ymmv,
Rhino
ProfRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Fergler

I have no idea what the first line means but as for pre roll go to Options -> Metronome/pre-roll -> Metronome/pre-roll settings
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Mr. Data

Hovering the mouse over the locator display and turning the mousewheel changes values here. Clicking in the displays lets you enter values. (Doesn't work on the position display though.)

Sorry, Rhino, I forgot to have a look at the Imperial theme to find a possibility to bring the locator displays to a feasible size.

-Data
Old 08-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
ProfRhino

thanks, I know you can set that - hidden deep in menus.
these bread'n'butter displays belong in the transport, at least as an option.

ancient but annotated picture, between the locators and the main transport you have pre- and post roll, activate by click and / or adjust
but my main FR is for the big locators, with MW input
The great feature of those is the mousewheel input, depending on mouse position you either change values by bars, beats or ticks - very convenient, especially when you often move / copy items around or work in cycle mode.

imho, ymmv,
Rhino

Last edited by ProfRhino; 08-24-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
ProfRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Hovering the mouse over the locator display and turning the mousewheel changes values here. Clicking in the displays lets you enter values. (Doesn't work on the position display though.)
Sorry, Rhino, I forgot to have a look at the Imperial theme to find a possibility to bring the locator displays to a feasible size.
-Data
Hi Mr Data,
thanks, but please don't bother atm ...
you're correct of course, but :
looks like I expected more / something else from those, my fault
I asked about them in the newbie section, unless there's more to them than I see atm they're more or less useless to me.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...25#post1394925
still hoping for error on my side though ...

thanks again,
Rhino
Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
ProfRhino

ok, found a slightly more current pic, ignore the animation !

In this example the cycle extends from 1.1.1.0 to 24.5.1.0.
MW over the leftmost "1" would change the start point to 2.1.1.0, 3.1.1.0, 4.1.1.0 and so on, MW over the 3rd "1" would change the start point to 1.1.2.0, 1.1.3.0, 1.1.4.0 - you get the picture.
Same for the end point.

hope that explains things a bit better
Rhino

Last edited by ProfRhino; 08-24-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
Mr. Data

Hi Rhino,

I saw that other post of yours in the other thread.

In the meantime I also had a look at the Imperial theme and I must admid, that I don't see any easy way to change the locator displays atm, because the spaces, where the numbers of the locators appear, are engraved in the transport bar background graphic. This could be changed of course, but if you for instance undock the transport bar from the main window (like it is in Cubase),. there has to be taken good care that not everything messes up when the size of the transport bar window is changed. To alter especially this theme, you have to make yourself familiar with it, which could take several days, since it's quite complex. So, I'm sorry, there's no easy and fast way to change the theme fast and easy.

As I recall, there have already been FRs on making the transport bar more flexible i.e. having controls of one's own choice in it. For the time being, maybe toolbars, where you define your own functions, might help (although they're slightly different from the ones in Cubase).

And yes, you're correct. I understood what you were up to (reading post in the other thread), but I didn't have a solution for it. If you hover the mouse over the 'bars' only bars should be changed and not the whole display in seemingly undifined steps. However, a bit of help it might be, that when you press the alt key while moving the mousewheel, you change the values in 'beats' steps - combinations with the alt key together with shift and or ctrl, give fractions of that. Not very useful though.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 08-25-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
ProfRhino

Hi Data,
In fact, the "alt+MW" thing is very useful, I hadn't found that out yet.
My mouse is a Logitech G700 with (among others) 4 thumb buttons set for alt, ctrl, shift & doubleclick, and I'm not afraid of using them - so these concepts feel quite natural to me.
Quite typical for my Reaper impressions so far, extremely powerful and tweakable, almost nothing you can't make it do one way or the other, but the defaults are quite alien coming from Cubase.
Unless I'll hit a real brick wall somewhere that doesn't really scare me off, I'm a notorious tweaker, my Cubase is not exactly stock, either ...
Thanks for the explanation re themes, so there are freely placeable and sizeable elements and there are larger bitmaps providing the background, understood. No biggie ...
In fact, the builder of those pretty new Neve themes seems to take visibility very serious, with fine results, so in case I fully commit to Reaper (decision is still a long time ahead), I might end up with one of these.

incredible you took the time to look into all these details, very much appreciated ! I owe you one ...
thanks,
Rhino
Old 08-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
Mr. Data

No prob, Rhino.

This is what the transport bar looks in the theme that I use. It's the great Analog API Theme V4.00 by Pyerbass, which i've customized for my own needs.

The version docked to the main window:

The undocked version in a floating window:

I prefer the docked version, though.

Since I'm (kinda) visually handicapped, I need big displays as well, so I enlarged the font of the locator displays. What I have to do still is to enlarge the displays themselves, to avoid truncation of bigger numbers (like ranges near the actual edit cursor position).
IMHO these displays should have room for at least 5 digits left of the first '.'.

In this case, since I modified the theme myself, I see a way to make these displays (and their font) even bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfRhino View Post
incredible you took the time to look into all these details, very much appreciated ! I owe you one ...
thanks,
Rhino
Thanks again, but I'd say, this is quite common in the Reaper forums.

-Data
Old 08-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
ProfRhino

Hi Data,
unfortunately we are on the same page regarding eyesight.
Well, as long as we don't smell bad ...
Your screenies are exactly what I'm talking about, great visibility of essential elements. I personally prefer white / light themes, so I might go for the Neve theme instead, but it's the same "visibility approach", great stuff !
I possibly just made a discovery that could remove my biggest gripe still remaining with Reaper, gotta fire up the studio and try this out immediately.
Man, this program is deep ...
I'll post my findings either way, they might be interesting for a small minority of fellow users, too.
cheers,
Rhino