Old 08-26-2014, 02:43 AM   #1
keykeeper
Human being with feelings

Default 5.1 mixing and playback

I have been asked to create a project using sourround. I am then wondering how to set this up. Let's say I create 5 mono wav stems in Reaper. Can anyone please suggest how I can play this back?I am considering using e.g this amplifier from Denon https://www.hifiklubben.no/Global/Pr...VRX500BK_2.jpg
keykeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #2
msmucr

Hi Keykeeper,

most of newer ATI or NVIDIA graphic cards with HDMI out has also built-in sound card in system (assuming Windows). So when you connect HDMI reciever, it will register to graphics card as device, which can decode or play audio and then it enable this soundcard in Windows.
So in that case, all you need is some player, which plays multichannel audio.. for instance foobar plays 5.1 FLAC and could be set for output to that soundcard.

Michal
msmucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
keykeeper

Ok but the thing is that I am hoping not to use a computer for playback. I.e I would need a DVD player or similar. Any suggestions on how to get 5 mono wav files onto a DVD for 5.1 playback?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
msmucr

Hmm,
that could be done several ways. I need better description to help you.

Few questions..
Do you need that only for your own purposes (eg. preflight DVD to listen on standard system) and/or client approval?
Do you have any DVD authoring application and related experience?
Will be there also video track, you'll need to encode.. or some other assets for DVD?
Is involved other site (person), who will do final release authoring?

Michal
msmucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
serr

Render your final mix to standard 5.1 wav files.

FLAC compression is a good choice for electronic delivery and all computer media players. Lossless and supports 24 bit high res 5.1 files.

Lossless HD 5.1 surround is supported by DVDA and blu-ray formats for disc.

Lossy formats exist that encode the 6 channels into 2 and then decode them on playback. DTS and Dolby are supported by all DVD video formats. Quality ranges from OK-ish to poor for music mixes.

For someone starting out with their first surround system today, I'd recommend just using the computer and staying away from the hardware disc players. They're too expensive, there are still intentional format wars and thus restricted features, and when a new format comes along they become obsolete.

Newer computers:
Thunderbolt (or HDMI if it includes full audio) to HDMI input of surround receiver.

Older computers:
Firewire or USB audio interface with 6 outs to 6ch analog surround input of surround receiver.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
keykeeper

Ok thanks for the advises. I'll guess I go for the computer route after all.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
BWLane

I use Reaper to create a multichannel wav file and import the file into Sony Movie Studio to create a DTS encoded 5.1 DVD which can be played by any DVD player. I could not find any software that cost less and worked better than Sony Movie Studio, which I think was about $100, to do the DTS encoding.
BWLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
serr

As for free media players, I use Songbird for music. It plays all formats and flac & high res of course. You can mix and match stereo (2.0), quad (4.0), 5.1, etc and everything plays out of the correct speakers for the specific format. Simple and just works.

I use this somewhat awful app XBMC media center for HD surround + HD video. There seem to be a lot of other free video players with HD and surround audio features locked out. This XBMC app has just about the worst GUI I've ever seen (think an 8 year old's 'my first GUI' kind of thing) but it plays HD video + HD surround (MKV files, etc). I'd love to hear a recommendation for something better here.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
cyrano

VLC plays multichannel audio too.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
VLC plays multichannel audio too.
Actually the last time I tried VLC it couldn't play the LPCM 24/96 5.1 audio stream in an MKV file. Seemed like it was only set up for lossy dts or dolby encoded surround.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
cyrano

Header problem?

Seems to work fine for me with the latest VLC on Mavericks...

But I haven't tested that many file formats yet. I just found out last week it is one of the few players that play at least some form of multi channel audio. Haven 't found anything that plays in iTunes, for instance.

Need more files to test, tho.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote