Old 07-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
nicholas
Scribe

Default What's New in the 4.70 User Guide

For a full list if changes in the 4.70 update (including bug fixes and performance enhancements) see the changelog. Here is a summary of the main changes to the User Guide:

Project settings: better media format options for glue/apply FX, etc.
Able to select a preset when loading an FX.
More commands added to project tabs context menu, including Close all projects but current.
Multiple files can be opened together, each in its own project tab.
Project Tab close button can be dragged and dropped to left or right.
Media Explorer options now include Preserve pitch shift when changing media, Pitch shift knob behavior (now configurable), Always show waveform peaks for selected media, Display preview positions in tenths of seconds, Auto-stop preview after adding media and Add current folder to shortcut list.
Item Properties dialog: Position and Length can be displayed as time, beats or HMSF.
New option on MIDI Editor Customize note names menu to Merge note names from file ...
New MIDI Editor mouse modifier contexts for MIDI source loop and marker and MIDI marker/region lane.
ReaVerb usage tips.
File Consolidate/Export: more options explained.
Project rendering: more options explained.
New option under Preferences, General to open last active project, all previously open project tabs, new project, or prompt. More options explained.
Performance Meter data is now sortable: also ReaMote column added when ReaMote is enabled.

See also page 4 of the User Guide!
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Nicholas, how about new features in Audio device settings(e.g. Audio thread priority)?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:29 AM   #3
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Nicholas, how about new features in Audio device settings(e.g. Audio thread priority)?
Thanks for pointing this out. This is shown on page 22 but not explained.I'll work on it for the next update. In short, raising the thread priority will cause audio to be processed ahead of other threads, such as graphics.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
In short, raising the thread priority will cause audio to be processed ahead of other threads, such as graphics.
Yes, that's what I need! Thanks.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
gmgmgm

Thanks for all your work. I'd be flailing around in the dark without it.
gmgmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Soli Deo Gloria

Once again, thanks so much for all your excellent work, Nicholas! Just a little detail : the 4.7 user guide says "June 2014" and it should say "July", isn´t it?
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Once again, thanks so much for all your excellent work, Nicholas! Just a little detail : the 4.7 user guide says "June 2014" and it should say "July", isn´t it?
Ha ha, I was wondering if anybody would notice that! Didn't want to recompile and re-render the whole document just for that, but thanks anyway The document is in fact up t date for July!

Last edited by nicholas; 07-12-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
Soli Deo Gloria

Fine, you´re certainly doing a great work with your bibliography. Thanks again for all!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
thonsco25

Default thanks

Thanks for all your hard work. Very much appreciated.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
TripodII

Multiple files can be opened together, each in its own project tab.

This is awesome for live performance with a separate project file for each song. Much better faster.

One question tho. When I do separate project tabs where each project has a Novation MiniNova plugin with TouchOSC controls, only the first project opened with the plugin receives the control data. TouchOSC works across all project tabs but not across projects containing the same vst with the same controller assignments from project tab to project tab. I'm going to try disabling the Novation VST on all projects and enable it with controller after I switch to the next tab/song.

Any ideas? Seems like its more of a Novation issue.
TripodII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
PaperPope

Thank you, Nicholas, for your great work!

I was wondering whether it would be feasible to implement an interfiled looseleaf service in order to keep a printed copy of the user guide up to date. This means that when changes are made to the user guide, users who bought the hard copy or printed one themselves can exchange, add or remove only the pages that were revised, using a binder, instead of printing the whole 400 pages again. This way, a printed copy never turns obsolete and a few trees are spared in the process. I realize that it probably would be a pain to keep track of the affected pages for you and that it might mean fewer people buying new editions, but maybe it could be a paid service - free to download the full edition file and paid to download the full file plus receive information about the revisions for the looseleaf service. Does this make any sense?
PaperPope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperPope View Post
Thank you, Nicholas, for your great work!

I was wondering whether it would be feasible to implement an interfiled looseleaf service in order to keep a printed copy of the user guide up to date. This means that when changes are made to the user guide, users who bought the hard copy or printed one themselves can exchange, add or remove only the pages that were revised, using a binder, instead of printing the whole 400 pages again. This way, a printed copy never turns obsolete and a few trees are spared in the process. I realize that it probably would be a pain to keep track of the affected pages for you and that it might mean fewer people buying new editions, but maybe it could be a paid service - free to download the full edition file and paid to download the full file plus receive information about the revisions for the looseleaf service. Does this make any sense?
Thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea in theory, but suspect that in practice it might not be so simple. I can look into it, but I can't say I'm too hopeful. Getting a publication up on the web where it is going to have any sort of profile, then getting it to market, printed, sold and distributed world-wide for a "small bit" player like me without incurring huge up-front costs is not an easy task to accomplish. LULU is for me by far the best of the available solutions that I have investigated, and I'm pretty sure that they don't offer a loose leaf service.

However, if you know of distributor offering such a service at a competitive and realistic price, please do PM me with the information. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
PaperPope

Yeah, I can't say that I have any practical answers or solutions. Just wanted to share this idea as a consumer. Searching Lulu's Idea Exchange, I've found that someone already suggested this to them here - http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Suggest/O...ot/idi-p/84983

If anyone's interested, maybe try and vote his suggestion up to get the moderator's attention.

Besides that, I only found two more publishers that do offer loose leaf printing, though they don't appear to be quite as user friendly as Lulu. I'll PM their links to you.

I guess that making changes to the current edition would also demand more careful formatting, so to not affect more pages than needed for each change. Just keeping track of these changes to let us know "replace pages 5,6,7-10,48 in 4.70 with similar from 4.80" could be a hassle without some sort of automation.
PaperPope is offline   Reply With Quote