Old 12-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #121
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfRhino View Post
Don't know who you're talking about, can't be me.
I'm only talking about anyone, including me, who hasn't actually done any real work in Cubase for some years, and couldn't possibly know how well it might or might not run for them now, but may insist on perpetually relating the same bad experiences from 7 years ago from a version that's not even being sold anymore, every time it updates.

Yeah, we get it, Cubase Artist 5.5 or whatever sucked for you and was unstable (not literally "you", but you get the meaning). But that was like... 5-6 years ago.

Otoh, if you download the Cubase 8 demo, which doesn't even exist yet, and it crashes like nobody's business for you or is really unstable for you, that's something else entirely. What happened to me (if anything bad) in Cubase 5 or 6 may have no actual relevance to what may happen to me using Cubase 8. I'd only know that if I install and use Cubase 8.

I mean that to say, I could sit here and write multiple paragraphs about how much Win Vista sucked for me 8 years ago but that has nothing at all to do with Windows 7.

When or if people get the demo, if it matters, let us know what happens.

If people - really and honestly - liked a product for what it offered and really wanted to use it, and only left it because it didn't work well for them, was unstable or whatever, they should maybe revisit it some time later to see if things have improved, if it matters. If it doesn't matter, all the bad stuff that happened 5 years ago is irrelevant.

And I'm not defending or supporting Steinberg, not at all. Only forwarding the idea that there is no such thing in software as a permanent static reality. Something that sucked yesterday might be great tomorrow and vice versa, something that ran like the wind yesterday might start crashing all over the place tomorrow in a newer version.

Last edited by Lawrence; 12-10-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #122
ProfRhino

Hi Lawrence,
ok, got you now, sorry for the misunderstanding !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I'm only talking about anyone, including me, who hasn't actually done any real work in Cubase for some years, and couldn't possibly know how well it might or might not run for them now, but insist on perpetually relating the same bad experiences from 7 years ago from a version that's not even being sold anymore, every time it updates.

Yeah, we get it, Cubase Artist 5.5 or whatever sucked for you and was unstable (not literally "you", but you get the meaning). But that was like... 5-6 years ago.

Otoh, if you download the Cubase 8 demo, which doesn't even exist yet, and it crashes like nobody's business for you or is really unstable for you, that's something else entirely. What happened to me (if anything bad) in Cubase 5 or 6 may have no actual relevance to what may happen to me using Cubase 8. I'd only know that if I install and use Cubase 8.

I mean that to say, I could sit here and write multiple paragraphs about how much Win Vista sucked for me 8 years ago but that has nothing at all to do with Windows 7.

When or if people get the demo, if it matters, let us know what happens.

If people - really and actually - liked a product for what it offered and wanted to use it, and only left it because it didn't work well for them, was unstable or whatever, they should maybe revisit it some time later to see if things have improved, if it matters. If it doesn't matter, all the bad stuff that happened 5 years ago is irrelevant.

And I'm not defending or supporting Steinberg, not at all. Only forwarding the idea that there is no such thing in software as a permanent static reality. Something that sucked yesterday might be great tomorrow and vice versa, something that ran like the wind yesterday might start crashing all over the place tomorrow in a newer version.
Basically that's exactly what my initial post was about, give a short and subjective report about the state of affairs with C8, as most folks here probably will not get a chance to check it out before February or so.
You can learn all about new features from the documentation or videos, but obviously the pitfalls of the new UI / windowing system are not reflected there by any means.

ymmv,
Rhino
ProfRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #123
ELP

you mean this?

three pretty mundane but important things that already work on an 8 Mhz Atari computer in 1989 and reaper 25 years later has unfortunately not.

And when I compare the list editor in Reaper with the grid or
list editor has already offered the Atari version of Cubase ...... these are worlds.

Must be kidding
but....without the Germans, the Americans would probably even today, try to land on the moon l ...

And the price: Cub 2.0 for Atari 1989 = 998 DM = ~ 510 Euro today. For a new User, every Cub version ~ the same price since 1989 to 2015 ..

Basically, this whole discussion is complete nonsense.
Why someone buys a 100,000 euro car if he comes with a 500 euro cucumber to the same destination?

Because he can.

Last edited by ELP; 12-10-2014 at 03:06 PM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #124
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP View Post
you mean this?

three pretty mundane but important things that already work on an 8 Mhz Atari computer in 1989 and reaper 25 years later has unfortunately not.

And when I compare the list editor in Reaper with the grid or
list editor has already offered the Atari version of Cubase ...... these are worlds.

Must be kidding
but....without the Germans, the Americans would probably even today, try to land on the moon l ...

And the price: Cub 2.0 for Atari 1989 = 998 DM = ~ 510 Euro today. For a new User, every Cub version ~ the same price since 1989 to 2015 ..

Basically, this whole discussion is complete nonsense.
Why someone buys a 100,000 euro car if he comes with a 500 euro cucumber to the same destination?

Because he can.
you are completely right. thats because I sometimes still use Cubase Atari 3. unbelievable regarding midi. (on STEEM ... works like charm. :-))))

and the Steinzeit-post of this dude above is just dumb idiotic. Steinberg knows since around 30 years what they are doing. no ther company can compare with that experience. but you know, if something is old, for some its valuable "vintage" and to this dude its old. I guess, he buys iDiotic crappy lifestyle products from that company with the name of the Beatles company because its new. yep, go on, boy ... and the Cubase is now 8 hasnt got to him obviously. and the term developing is completely chinese to him. but anyway ... I am angry about such plain stupidity exposed so frankly. Im sorry ... for my rant and for the boy.

it has to be clear, that a product like Cubase wouldnt be around if it would be that bad. and sure, sometimes a software doesnt work for somebody, crashes, stutters and so on. we all know that. but when it comes down to the real reasons for that you find nearly always someone had his computer "maximised", "tweaked", "build in voodoo" and the such. in other words: user-error. 95% of the rantings are simply user-errors. but no, Cubase crashes for someone and the conclusion is that Steinberg is a bullshit company. and Yamaha too. yes. sometimes I think that these people have lost their right to use a computer and should be forbidden to ever touch one again. (the aside-advantage would be that we wouldnt read from them on the internet anymore. :-)))
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #125
ProfRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
it has to be clear, that a product like Cubase wouldnt be around if it would be that bad. and sure, sometimes a software doesnt work for somebody, crashes, stutters and so on. we all know that. but when it comes down to the real reasons for that you find nearly always someone had his computer "maximised", "tweaked", "build in voodoo" and the such. in other words: user-error. 95% of the rantings are simply user-errors. but no, Cubase crashes for someone and the conclusion is that Steinberg is a bullshit company. and Yamaha too. yes. sometimes I think that these people have lost their right to use a computer and should be forbidden to ever touch one again. (the aside-advantage would be that we wouldnt read from them on the internet anymore. :-)))
Basically that mirrors my own experience.
While I feel things like stability are almost impossible to generalize from a user's perspective, all big gripes I mentioned aside, reliability has never been an issue for me with Cubase, and 8 is no exception so far. Not talking about bugs, just program stability and plugin compatibility - my blacklist is empty and even ancient relics like Ultrafunk or Spectral Delay load fine.
Massive looks a bit fishy though, haven't investigated closely yet.
Same goes for Reaper btw, absolutely stable in the few months I've been using it so far.
All that means however is that both programs can run stable, it does not automatically disqualify any other crash reports. Every system is different, especially on PC ...
so ymmv,
Rhino
Old 12-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #126
keyman_sam

Quote:
blatantly obvious answer :
depends on who you ask.
in my case the difference between DAWs is mostly about those "hardcoded" parts of a DAW's workflow that you can't customize, write macros or get addons / plugins for as end user.
Cubase has quite a few very refined and mighty features, and C8 adds some more really useful functions not available elsewhere in this combination.
Unless you're a basic mouse user however, the methods of interacting with the program have been fundamentally messed up ever since C7.
ymmv,
Rhino
They say ignorance is bliss, so perhaps I will regret asking this question, but can you tell me what's broken about the window management in Cubase 7.5?
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #127
Time Waster

Quote:

No way, in 1980, would a guy who just enjoyed making music at home would go out and buy a $1000 audio workstation, unless they just had lots of extra hobby cash, like audiophiles might buy an expensive DAC or speakers or whatever. But now it's pretty common for people who aren't making any money at all in the music industry to own 2-3 different expensive pro audio workstations.
In 1981, I went out and spent $1000 on a 4 track reel to reel tape recorder and a 6 channel mixing desk. That doesn't include other money spent on hardware effects units. In those days, if you wanted to do home recording, that's how much you had to spend. I hate to think how much that is in today's money!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #128
ProfRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
They say ignorance is bliss, so perhaps I will regret asking this question, but can you tell me what's broken about the window management in Cubase 7.5?
Hi Sam,
mostly two important areas in 7.x, easy to reproduce, not system specific :
- messed up z-order, i.e. which window stays visible on top, plugins hiding underneath the full screen mixer, program unresponsive due to an invisible plugin popup that would require user input, all kinds of other related phenomena
C6.5 and earlier were not perfect either, but could be configured to work flawless 24/7 using a few tricks
- even worse, broken focus system for keycommands and generic remote controllers.
Up to 6.5, when you had project and mixer open side by side, a KC or GRC simply worked all the time, no ugly focus stealing like Reaper either - in short, perfect.
Starting with 7.0, they introduced "focus areas" for lack of an official term, mixer areas vs project mostly.
KCs and GRCs only work if the respective area has focus, kinda like having two seperate programs open side by side.
There are only two methods to change focus, cycling through all windows via tab until you hit the right one, or activating the desired area via mouse click.
Both obviously make using KCs and GRCs a pathetic joke, what good is a KC if you have to announce it first via mouse click ?
To add insult to injury, there is a KC to set focus to the project, but none for the mixer ...
- C8 keeps all focus problems unfixed, z-order has been partially improved but it introduces a new can of worms with mixer and project being seperate programs in the task bar !
ymmv, as far as these things bother you, but they are there, on every system.
Rhino
Old 12-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #129
rvman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
In 1981, I went out and spent $1000 on a 4 track reel to reel tape recorder and a 6 channel mixing desk. That doesn't include other money spent on hardware effects units. In those days, if you wanted to do home recording, that's how much you had to spend. I hate to think how much that is in today's money!
Yes sir. That's what my band did our recordings on. And I remember watching in amazement as the guy took a razor to the tape afterwards. I was a young teen at the time and didn't know.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #130
differencetone

Default Cubase User

Hi,

I have been a Cubase user since the Atari days and now I'm on Cubase 8. I test Reaper out from time to time but it's just easier for me to use Cubase since I know it well. My feeling about Reaper is good but I hardly know anything about it so I will talk about Cubase. The price has always been high. It has nothing to do with Yamaha owning Cubase. For me the advantage of Cubase is that I know it so well and it works with all my plugins. I have a lot of keyboard shortcuts and macros. The macros I am making now are complex. Just about anything you can do in Cubase can be made into a keyboard shortcut then chained into macros. It is a powerful feature that most people don't use. I do a lot of midi programming, in fact lately it is all I do. I can not imagine using Reaper for that after being used to Cubase. I love the articulation mapping designed for classical music but it could be re-purposed to electronic music. It gives me the ability to switch articulations on a midi recording without having to use keyboard switching. It's a little clunky to set up but it is unique as far as I know.
differencetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #131
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
Yes sir. That's what my band did our recordings on.
I think my comment there was taken a little out of context.

What I meant was that few people not doing really, really serious things would go out and spend $1000 on a music software app, unless they just had extra cash and could afford expensive hobbies, and by and large, that's what top of the line daws were costing, if not much more, so few were rationalizing the need for them then. When prices started dropping, all bets were off.

Today, you can go through the collection of daws that people own for fun and typically come up with well over $1000 worth of software, where some own Cubase, Sonar, Logic, Reaper, S1 and a $2-300 sampler or two.

It's just a different time now. The net is partly to blame for that because we can see a lot more stuff now so we want a lot more stuff now. Back then, we didn't know half of it even existed unless we saw it in the music mags. It's not like there were 12 different daws on the shelf at the music store.

Back then it was Cubase, Logic or Cakewalk mostly, and none of them were really inexpensive. PT was probably more expensive than all of them even then.

That stuff didn't really blow up in the consumer market until personal computer prices started falling. I think my Atari ST then cost the same as the 8 core i7 system I have now.

Last edited by Lawrence; 12-11-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #132
ProfRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by differencetone View Post
Hi,

I have been a Cubase user since the Atari days and now I'm on Cubase 8. I test Reaper out from time to time but it's just easier for me to use Cubase since I know it well. My feeling about Reaper is good but I hardly know anything about it so I will talk about Cubase. The price has always been high. It has nothing to do with Yamaha owning Cubase. For me the advantage of Cubase is that I know it so well and it works with all my plugins. I have a lot of keyboard shortcuts and macros. The macros I am making now are complex. Just about anything you can do in Cubase can be made into a keyboard shortcut then chained into macros. It is a powerful feature that most people don't use. I do a lot of midi programming, in fact lately it is all I do. I can not imagine using Reaper for that after being used to Cubase. I love the articulation mapping designed for classical music but it could be re-purposed to electronic music. It gives me the ability to switch articulations on a midi recording without having to use keyboard switching. It's a little clunky to set up but it is unique as far as I know.
While nothing can match the advanced MIDI functions in Cubase, Reaper's (custom-) action system with the SWS extensions is way beyond the keycommand / macro system in Cubase.
If you can imagine it, chances are it can be done, if all else fails, a friendly forum colleague usually comes up with a solution.
One of Reaper's main attractions imho !
Unfortunately Reaper's focus system is only slightly better than the broken one in C7/C8, I'm using a programmable G13 keypad, BCRs and a Tranzport as workaround atm, far from perfect but acceptable.
Reaper's curse is focus stealing by plugins and secondary windows, with all the action flexibility they have not included the one crucial option to disable this.
If I ever need KB input on a plugin, I can activate a text box.
Having plugins and secondary windows disable your main keycommands however, including transport (!), makes no sense at all for me.
My biggest wish for v5, if there ever will be one, closely followed by S1 style controller handling and Cubase style multi-track comping / editing.
ymmv,
Rhino
Old 12-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #133
differencetone

Quote:
While nothing can match the advanced MIDI functions in Cubase, Reaper's (custom-) action system with the SWS extensions is way beyond the keycommand / macro system in Cubase.
Rhino
But the macro system integrates with the Logical Editor which is the key.
differencetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #134
rvman

So........

What have we learned so far?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #135
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by differencetone View Post
But the macro system integrates with the Logical Editor which is the key.
Viewed objectively, Reaper's scripting (any full scripting with a really good API) is more powerful, or "potentially" more powerful once all the parts are in place.

Otoh, Cubase's macros + logical editing is a good bit more powerful for the average user who wants to dive in. I mean, coding Python is a way more difficult than writing logical editor scripts, which is why not many are doing it. But sure, as long as guys like SPK are around, cool stuff shows up.

I've been begging the PSL guys for an API for that stuff and I've come to the conclusion that it's not gonna happen.

Reaper will likely always have a huge advantage in that regard, especially if the Poobah's ever see fit to include some more accessible scripting languages.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #136
novaburst

Quote:
So........

What have we learned so far?
We have learned that cubase has that soft spot in our music, and that in some way some how has played a part in our production,

lastly, just what a big influence cubase has on us all and can bring out some bone chewing interesting DAW topics.

We also have learned................
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #137
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaburst View Post
We also have learned................
Quote:
The only thing worse than lower back pain is getting accidentally hit in the balls.
We have learned that Lawrence has never been deliberately kicked in the balls.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #138
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
We have learned that Lawrence has never been deliberately kicked in the balls.
LOl. Knock on wood. The accidental ones hurt bad enough.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #139
Fex

I've been kicked in the nads, been hit by a car, had a few heart attacks, and dislocated a knee.

The worst of these, by far, is dislocating a knee.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #140
unique

Ultimately use cubase if it has some tools that you find defines a good enough reason for you to use it over reaper. Then try and make sure it is true. Have a back up plan just in case.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...whats_new.html

Pretty nice feature that I know a lot of Composers would use is chord pads, if reaper devs could take this idea and build on it I would be grateful.

https://www.youtube.com/v/5SpQjRkBpAs#t=44

Last edited by unique; 12-12-2014 at 11:12 PM.
unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #141
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
I ended up buying 7 Elements because I was afraid to learn how to use a new DAW. After a very short time I realized that Elements is too crippled for me, but the upgrade price to full was so steep
I got "Elements" for free with some stuff I bought. After some tests I found that it could do none of the tasks I wanted to do. So this was just a teaser (which is not to be bashed, but needs to be stated.)

After seeing the price for a decent license, I tested the uncrippled Reaper "teaser", and of course bought it some time later.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #142
ELP

The Piano Roll and the List editor are really almost useless in Reaper.
The List Editor simply deletes events, he has not delete , see Listeditor / Humanize bug , note off release vel . etc., etc. etc etc pp.

Note off release velocity are nowhere in the Reaper editors editable, worse still , these are simply set to 0, yet they are ever displayed except in RAW.

Apart from that, it is basically handled very awkward in the two editors to change various Midi event settings .
There is not even a simple info line, which would possibly even allow you to change values ​​quickly.
Honestly , a set of X that was probably nothing .

If not even the basic functions operate in Reaper effectively, help also no comprehensive actions and scripting options. --My Opinion

Both Reaper editors need to be revised comprehensively
if Reaper really also want to climb the Midi > Hardware & VSTI throne!
Until then, unfortunately, the editors are almost unusable for me, because I work alot with VSTi´s and with alot of M-Hardware(and some off them need/understand also note off release, that reaper totally ignore!!).

-Very old Steini, new Reaper, very, very old logic list

Steini: all you need inside editors

Reaper: where is the Note off release if reaper already use Note off instead of Note on with vel 0?

and now without words:

Reaper delete recorded Note off vel/releases(and set the value to non standard 0 that means a very slow release) by simply select one event

simply effectively list edit and that´s over 15 years ago

@whiteaxxxe auch ich bin total deiner Meinung.
im übrigen mein alter Atari rennt ab und an immer noch.. scheints unverwüstlich das Teil ..

Last edited by ELP; 12-13-2014 at 06:51 PM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #143
rvman

I actually like this layout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steinberg-Cubase-8-Wave-Meters.jpg (57.7 KB, 269 views)
Old 12-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #144
Refillable

Quote:
I actually like this layout.
I think they 'borrowed' that layout from fruityloops. Can't blame them. Very nice. I've also seen another midi DAW with vertical piano roll. Can't remember the name.

Actually, vertical piano roll is fruityloops too, or Image-line as they call themselves now.

http://www.image-line.com/support/FL...oroll_flip.htm
Refillable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #145
mschnell

Regarding the Title of this thread there is a great Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmUET7Tmp1c

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-02-2015 at 02:27 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #146
sunkingzx

i use both reaper and cubase working in the studio

cubase has polyphonic vocal editing, which is helpful using along side their own yamaha pitch correction vst, the two together work very very well

vocal harmony- make harmonies of vocal takes

chord memory, can be cool using it to make chord progressions you may not usually play

aside from that imo reaper dominates cubase on every other level
sunkingzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:36 AM   #147
Irvin

Quote:
We live in a Burger King world where most really don't have the patience for that, which is why you never see things like DP or Pyramix talked about on KVR and Gearslutz. p
In all fairness, most people need very little from a DAW, so virtually any will do the job. Most people (including me) use a DAW as a tape machine on steroids. The rest is a matter of preference, familiarity or habit.

And yes, a lot of fanboyism when comparing DAWs. It's mostly age-related.
Irvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #148
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
He's not trolling, he's just opinionated. And he's very often right.
True, dat....
In this thread and case, everything whiteaxxxe has explained about Yamaha and Cubase is dead-on TRUTH. In fact, once Yamaha took over Cubase they straightened out the creepy attitudes, arrogance and incredibly bad customer service within Steinberg very quickly. I also saw some helpful improvements in Cubase itself. Further, Yamaha has had NOTHING to do with Cubase's or Nuendo's pricing; they were already slightly overpriced bits of software before Yamaha's purchase of Steinberg.

Next time, check your facts before posting rubbish. It makes you and all of us look ignorant and untrustworthy for anyone coming to this forum wanting CORRECT info.

[edit] Note that I am addressing SOLI and his remarks and not Fex in this post. Also, I have been a rather steady critic of Steinberg, but I still give credit to them where due -- prime example VST format.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:55 AM   #149
magicmusic

cubase have importants feature i like. it is called arranger track. you can add blocks in this track with a name. for example intro, verse, bridge, fill . then you can arrange the song, choose of repeat how often fill is play. It is easy to create diffrent song versions, insert a peace etc. for movie score it is even better
, because you can easy change the arrangements and use more arrangements. see this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0X9m3VL9Uc

a other great feature is the chord track. you can select easy chords for this track and you can switch other tracks so that they transpose depend on chordtrack.

for example if use a E chord then the bass is tranpsose to e. this can work with audio and midi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgTYnt7TA9s

This are the most important features for me, and a Cubase 7 cheap version for under 100 $ have that too.

Maybe there are scripts that add this features on reaper, i dont know. Le me know. ? If this reaper can do, or i can easy program myself with few 100 lines, then i am happy with reaper, because reaper have some advantages as reajs.

Last edited by magicmusic; 03-30-2015 at 05:10 AM.
magicmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:09 AM   #150
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
Next time, check your facts before posting rubbish. It makes you and all of us look ignorant and untrustworthy for anyone coming to this forum wanting CORRECT info.

[edit] Note that I am addressing SOLI (Bold is mine)
And you could read all the posts - in particular nº 72 of this thread (http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=72), where I make all the necessary apologies - before going on bashing on someone who has already regreted about his attitude and recognized it was a mistake...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 03-30-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 AM   #151
rvman

With regards to the arranger track in Cubase, you can do that in any DAW.

I was doing that in Sonar 4, and I do it today in Reason and Reaper.

It's just not called an "arranger track".
Old 03-30-2015, 05:20 AM   #152
ivansc

Quote:

I'll bite (grin)
What IS it called in Reason and Reaper?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:36 AM   #153
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
It makes you and all of us look ignorant and untrustworthy for anyone coming to this forum wanting CORRECT info.

[edit] Note that I am addressing SOLI
Now I see that the original foolish post was even edited at the time, apologizing and pointing to the appropiate post (it said #76, but there must have been some deletions in this thread, so it is now # 72). I could delete the post with the foolish outburst, just to try to avoid more comments like Telenator´s one, but won´t do it for now, mainly because I think I´ve apologized and explained myself enough and I don´t need to hide the fact that I made a mistake. I´ve further edited now the foolish post apologies and reduced the bad sentences´size, for the sake of clarity.

If one wants an internet forum to be a source of CORRECT info (and a friendly place above all), I assume that apart from avoiding doing what I did on my first post of this thread one also needs to read thoroughly all the information contained in the specific topics before replying in an unfriendly manner...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 03-30-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #154
magicmusic

Quote:

How can this done in reaper. ?
Here is another video of newer cubase. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStnzf12ffw

Please look this video at 2:04 so you can see how that work. another word for arranger track is pattern arranging. In reason video i see you can switch to block mode. then you can draw blocks in the DAW. But this is not enough.

In cubase there is a window on left side that is called arranger chain, and here can create with drag and drop a song from the blocks that are create in arranger track. there are many arranger chains possible and the song is not play linear how the blocks in the DAW are
Old 03-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #155
paaltio

For me the answer "why Cubase" hinges on a couple of things. Note that I work 95% with MIDI.

1) Retrospective record for MIDI

I know it's not a huge difference from hitting record and then just hitting undo if I didn't like the result, but still this does save a couple of keystrokes every now and then. Which, once you multiply it by 10 hours a day seven days a week, suddenly is a lot. I just don't want a record-based workflow for MIDI.

2) Velocity and CC editors

REAPER's API allows you to build all kinds of fancy stuff for these, which is great, but I don't think anything can replace having really good basic tools right inside the MIDI Editor. For example drawing logarithmic CC curves. And scaling them in a lot of different ways, and also supporting that for velocities. When you cut a MIDI region, Cubase duplicates CC values at the start of the second region, so it will still play correctly when moved to a different position. Small stuff like this.

For the built-in CC stuff, Cubase is still very far ahead.

ReaControlMIDI is also not a seamless solution. I did a proof-of-concept of something that integrates CC #1 and #11 to envelopes better. This only works for a single track, so, proof-of-concept like I said: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/23747/reaper_ccenv_v0.1.zip

I think REAPER should implement CC as envelopes directly like this. Also expose them inside the MIDI Editor. CC envelopes should also work as virgin territory automation (but it still takes region cutting into account) so you can actually work with them like you would with actual CC, instead of having the automation force a value everywhere.

3) MusicXML export

When I've finished composing, I can set display quantize settings in Cubase's Score Editor, as well as divisi voices as MIDI channels in the Key Editor. This already leads me to a pretty clean result that I can then export to Sibelius for further work. A MIDI export workflow is just a mess compared to this -- the notation program shouldn't have to make any guesses about note lengths, because those should be fixed in a piano roll view, not in notation where it becomes a nightmare.

4) BlackMagic support

This is not that big of a deal anymore, but it's still nice to be able to have an Intensity Pro handle the picture to the studio TV. However this won't be what keeps me on Cubase if the other stuff gets sorted on REAPER.
paaltio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 AM   #156
lachrimae

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmusic View Post
How can this done in reaper. ?
Here is another video of newer cubase. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStnzf12ffw
Although it's not exactly like the one in Cubase you can use the Region Playlist from SWS
https://i.imgur.com/tnVZaA1.gif
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #157
norbury brook

As someone who's been on board with Cubase since the Atari, and Reaper since V.1.x I feel I should give my own personal view here.

One of the main reasons I use Cubase (8)over reaper in my studio 99% of the time is the Hardware/Software integration with Steinberg/Yamaha.

I use the UR824 with 2x MR816's giving me 24 channels of I/O.

In conjunction with Cubase control room this gives me 4 separate zero latency cue mixes with FX -REGARDLESS OF MY PROJECT BUFFER SIZE-

so a practical example would be I could drop a band in on a nearly finished maxed out mix project with buffers set at 1024samples say, and they would have zero latency mixes all through Cubase, you don't have to open a 3rd party mixer application.

I can control all the physical attributes of the pre amps from inside Cubase- 48v/high pass filters/ pad/ etc etc

the integration is just very very useful.

My monitors are directly connected via my interface, I can switch between sets of monitors,/mono/stereo/surround/downmix from 5.1/7.1 all from key commands using the control room, just like a real console.

I use Euphonix controllers too and once again perfect integration via Eucon.

If I were to go full high end then there's a path to Nuage which takes all this to another level with hardware control surface and AD/DA/pre's etc

http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosyst...hp?prodID=1139

My final point; Yamaha, here in the UK anyway, are one of the few companies who actually put something back. They provide equipment for schools and clubs, they have provided the Piano and drum kit at the 606 club in London for free, they have just lent a friend of mine a concert grand for a project, all for free. They provided a lot of Synths/gtrs/recorders etc for a TV I did recently all free of charge.

so from my point of view I'm very happy to be supporting a company that not only makes great products but puts back to the industry from grass roots to top professionals.

MC
Old 03-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #158
magicmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
Although it's not exactly like the one in Cubase you can use the Region Playlist from SWS
https://i.imgur.com/tnVZaA1.gif
good, the sws region playlist do what i want and can all what cubase do too. Only problem is, when i do in a list that play bars 3.1.00 to 4.1.00 30 times for test and i use only a .ogg bass sound track and reverb i get red bar on transport and crackle every 20-60 sec, even with 40 ms latency. when i set a play region in reaper at the same bars and i play with the build in loop play of reaper the same bars, i get with latency of 5 ms no crackle. I test 32 bit reaper version.

sad that they from cockos have make this not buildin. but maybe there is a setting, i look if there is SWS thread so i can report and show a video to see what i mean
Old 03-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #159
keyman_sam

Well I guess I have been spoiled in Reaper (taking a few things for granted) so for instance when Render-in-place wasn't there in Cubase 7.5 I was shocked. How cumbersome to export audio and then import it? How can they live without this basic feature?

Then I discovered they have something which we pride ourselves in - MACROS!! Off I went and stole a macro from online and it pretty much gave me RIP minus deleting the track. I'm a happy camper. Automation is also dead simple. If my experience continues the way it has been, I should be quite happy with the transition to Cubase. Every time I open the midi editor (i haven't even used the advanced functions yet), I am reminded that it is worth it to invest time in this thing.

So there - you have a fan in the making, for Cubase.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #160
norbury brook

render in place is in Cubase 8. Even before this though the export Audio function meant you could bounce all your VST instrument tracks to audio and have them placed in your project with one click anyway so I never use the new function now.

MC