Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-23-2015, 04:42 AM   #1
enkidu
Human being with feelings

Default Tempo map - what does Reaper call it?

Hi I want to create what I had been calling a tempo map, that is, a grid with different time sigs and rallantandos as required, so as to be able to record against it later. But it seems 'tempo mapping' is something else in Reaper (getting existing audio, like say a rehearsal take, to fit a tempo grid). I don't want to do that.

Of course, I am very interested in stretching audio to fit a grid, and ultimately I want to be able to edit multi-track drums, but I want to be able to create simple time-grids first so that I can take it into a studio and record to it.

Any help, like a reference to a page in the manual, gratefully accepted.

Cheers
E
enkidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:44 AM   #2
G-Sun

User manual:
10.9 Using Time Signature/Tempo Change Markers

Alt+t
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
enkidu

Many thanks.

E
Old 09-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
enkidu

Default triplets?

Okay thank you for that.

I tried alt t and got a track, but I'm using shift c to make changes to time sigs. Is this correct? I can see how to make a rallantando now, just by moving the blue line, but can I change time sig within the track envelope rather than do shift c?

Next question: I'm in duple time, but part of the song is in triplets. Same tempo, it's just that each 1/4 is split into 3. Can I make this adjustment easily?

Another question is that I would like to have a drum machine in the project to make a noise 'a bit like a kit' in there to help the band. Could you advise?

Most grateful as ever.

Last edited by enkidu; 09-23-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: forgot the main point!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:49 AM   #5
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
I tried alt t and got a track, but I'm using shift c to make changes to time sigs. Is this correct? I can see how to make a rallantando now, just by moving the blue line, but can I change time sig within the track envelope rather than do shift c?
Try the combinations ctrl + shift + left click/drag
Righ-click a point/envelope for options.
Double-click bpm in transport-bar

Quote:
Next question: I'm in duple time, but part of the song is in triplets. Same tempo, it's just that each 1/4 is split into 3. Can I make this adjustment easily?
It's probably 12/8, often written in 4/4 with swing-feel,
so, it's 4 x 3. In Reaper I'd usually use 4/4 with 1/8T grid
Quote:
Another question is that I would like to have a drum machine in the project to make a noise 'a bit like a kit' in there to help the band. Could you advise?
Use sequencer JS baby/megababy with a drumkit of your choice.
(e.g. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150868)

btw: It's ritardando
Old 09-24-2015, 02:39 AM   #6
enkidu

I'm interested in the grid thing. The one I'm on seems to be a default duple time one, and I'm not sure where to look to change grid settings. Could you advise?

E.

PS I spelt rallentando wrongly anyway!

Last edited by enkidu; 09-24-2015 at 02:41 AM. Reason: terminology
Old 09-24-2015, 03:18 AM   #7
G-Sun

Quote:
I'm interested in the grid thing. The one I'm on seems to be a default duple time one, and I'm not sure where to look to change grid settings. Could you advise?
It would be wise of you to read the manual and/or watch some basic tutorials for Reaper.
https://www.google.com/search?q=reap...basic+tutorial

The grid is found on main toolbar:

Old 09-24-2015, 03:21 AM   #8
enkidu

Brilliant! Many thanks.

E
Old 09-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
enkidu

Hmmm puzzling. I still can't get the grid to produce 1/4 note triplets. Don't know what to do, and the manual doesn't seem to tell you. It sounds okay with just 4/4, but if you wanted to quantize triplets, I guess the machine wouldn't know what to do either!
Old 09-25-2015, 05:20 AM   #10
G-Sun

Quote:
Hmmm puzzling. I still can't get the grid to produce 1/4 note triplets. Don't know what to do, and the manual doesn't seem to tell you. It sounds okay with just 4/4, but if you wanted to quantize triplets, I guess the machine wouldn't know what to do either!
As I told you:
Time-signature 4/4
Grid: 1/8T
Old 09-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Right click on the button that G-Sun shows in that picture above.

Make sure the box in front of Show grid, line spacing is checked and then click on the little down arrow in the box just to the right of Show grid, line spacing and select 1/8T.

If you're in the MIDI Editor, down at the bottom closer to the left where it says Grid:, select 1/8. Then just to the right of that where it probably says straight, select triplet.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #12
enkidu

Hi there many thanks.

I can see the boxes no problem, and adjust as instructed, but the click does not respond to a change to 1/8T, it just carries on in duple time, i.e. the same as 1/8. Is that supposed to happen? Also, when I want a part of the map to be in triplets, surely I should be selecting that region in some way? It's actually only the keyboard solo in the middle of this tune that uses triplets.

My concern is that when it comes to editing audio, or midi, the grid will somehow be 'set up wrong' if you see what I mean.

Cheers
E
Old 09-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #13
G-Sun

Sorry to hear that.

Make sure snap is enabled

There is no such thing as duple-time. Are you saying straight 2/4, or 4/4, straight 1/8 grid?

If having parts in different time-signature/feel, you can use time-selection to make sure only wanted region is affected when editing.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #14
enkidu

As I understand music, generally speaking you either have duple time (where everything splits down 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 etc) or it's in triplets, where each beat has a three-pulse. Of course you can have tuplets, you know, one-quarter is split into five or seven or whatever for your Frank Zappa tribute band, but unimportant for now.

This song is 4/4 (there are 6/4 and 5/4 bars, but not many) duple all the way, except for the keyboard solo, where each 1/4 is a triplet. 1+a 2+a 3+a 4+a, but in the same tempo.

I want the click to register those triplets. Right now I can't get it interested :-D

The track I'm in is the alt+t track.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #15
G-Sun

Quote:
As I understand music, generally speaking you either have duple time (where everything splits down 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 etc) or it's in triplets, where each beat has a three-pulse. Of course you can have tuplets, you know, one-quarter is split into five or seven or whatever for your Frank Zappa tribute band, but unimportant for now.

This song is 4/4 (there are 6/4 and 5/4 bars, but not many) duple all the way, except for the keyboard solo, where each 1/4 is a triplet. 1+a 2+a 3+a 4+a, but in the same tempo.

I want the click to register those triplets. Right now I can't get it interested :-D

The track I'm in is the alt+t track.
Douple time: Sorry. Checked. My bad. Thought it was some rapper-slang or something
Old 09-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #16
Tod

Quote:
My concern is that when it comes to editing audio, or midi, the grid will somehow be 'set up wrong' if you see what I mean.
Heh heh, yeah I'd not heard "duples" either and I've played with some very good orchestra conductors and teachers and band directors. But indeed, when I googled it, it said something about 2 beats per bar.

At any rate, what I do enkidu, is set the grid up for what ever I'm working with at the time, and yes, things can change throughout a song. It's really a simple matter of changing the grid for what ever you need, whether it's in the arrange area or the Midi Editor.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #17
enkidu

Oh well, I still don't get it. Maybe I think I'm doing a tempo map when I'm not!

In Cubase it was easy.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #18
Tod

Quote:
Oh well, I still don't get it. Maybe I think I'm doing a tempo map when I'm not!

In Cubase it was easy.
Hi enkidu, a Tempo Map is considered by most people, as fluctuations in the BPM and/or Time Signature, or a combination of both. At least I think most Reaperites do.

I think both G-Sun and I are confused by exactly what you mean by "duples", I know I am, at least the way you're explaining it. So if we put "duples" aside and just talk about time signatures, maybe we can connect.

Common time signatures are 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 6/8, 5/4, and then it can start to get a little weird with 7/8, 13/8, etc...

2/4 means there are 2 beats per measure and the quarter note gets the count.

3/4 means there are 3 beats per measure and the quarter note gets the count.

6/8 means there are 6 beats per measure and the 8th note gets the count, so on and so forth.

Now under normal situations, each beat can be divided up into 8ths, 8th triplets (8T)(which is what I think you're talking about), 16ths, 16th triplets (16T), 32nds, 32nd triplets (32T), so on and so forth.

A 4/4 time signature with triplets would be something like: 1-2-3-2-2-3-3-2-3-4-2-3. That would be one measure.

When we talk about the Grid, we're talking about dividing up the measures and beats so that we can see where the 8ths, 8T, 16ths, etc. go.