Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
pixeltarian
Human being with feelings

Default The results of my pop filter research.

These are the ones:

- windtech PopGard
http://www.wind-tech.net/Pop_Gard.php

- CharterOak PF-1
http://www.charteroakacoustics.com/p...f1_details.htm

- Rycote Invision pop filter
http://www.rycote.com/products/invis...al_pop_filter/

I hate goosenecks.

The windtech an CharterOak both have hydrophobic material. I'm not sure about the Rycote, but that's the one I got because I already have their invision universal shockmount and I like the idea of not having to switch it from mic to mic, while also not having to deal with droopy gooseneck issues.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Panic

I was going to get the Windtech one and still might, but at this point, pantyhose slipped over the mic does the job well enough.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aste View Post
I was going to get the Windtech one and still might, but at this point, pantyhose slipped over the mic does the job well enough.
I don't know if it's because I'm getting old or what, but I'm starting to appreciate buying nice things instead of making them myself. DIY often seems to cost more. Maybe not more money, but more something (time, effort, frustration, etc.)

I don't think a pantyhose over a mic would do the same as having a couple inches between the mic and the filter. I'm good at stifling my plosives, but if the pop filters is up on the grill, I will hear a few pops get through.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
I don't know if it's because I'm getting old or what, but I'm starting to appreciate buying nice things instead of making them myself. DIY often seems to cost more. Maybe not more money, but more something (time, effort, frustration, etc.)

I don't think a pantyhose over a mic would do the same as having a couple inches between the mic and the filter. I'm good at stifling my plosives, but if the pop filters is up on the grill, I will hear a few pops get through.
No idea if it works as well, but between that and the mesh on the mic, I don't have any plosive issues. A proper filter sure would look alot nicer, though, and if I thought anyone else might see me recording vocals...well let's just say, singing into a pantyhose laden mic looks a little odd.

Maybe I'll get one just in case.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Panic

Here's another to maybe look into

http://www.amazon.com/MXL-Mics-MXL-P...xl+pop+filters

Kind'a has that old school vibe to it.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
ivansc

I have three.

An AKG one and a couple of lesser ones.
All are pretty much on the lines of embroidery hoop and panty hose/pop socks.
All work.

AKG one currently has a pop sock covering, as the original 2 layer nylon grill wore out.

Moral: IF you can buy an embroidery hoop cheap and already have a broken mic clip of the Shure style, roll yer own
Otherwise get the cheapest one you can. They all do the same job equally well
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
Stu

Save money buying the pop filter and like Ivan says, buy the cheapest you can. With the money you saved, buy a reasonably cheap mic stand with boom arm and fasten the head of the filter to the boom arm, this way you avoid annoying goose-neck issues (we've all been there!), the filter is much easier to position and move between different mics, and you also avoid what is probably the no.1 failure point of the cheaper pop filters: because you won't be using it, the cheap plastic clamp will not break

I've used everything from pantyhose-over-coat hanger to super expensive, and never really noticed an appreciable difference in how well they functioned.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Save money buying the pop filter and like Ivan says, buy the cheapest you can. With the money you saved, buy a reasonably cheap mic stand with boom arm and fasten the head of the filter to the boom arm, this way you avoid annoying goose-neck issues (we've all been there!), the filter is much easier to position and move between different mics, and you also avoid what is probably the no.1 failure point of the cheaper pop filters: because you won't be using it, the cheap plastic clamp will not break

I've used everything from pantyhose-over-coat hanger to super expensive, and never really noticed an appreciable difference in how well they functioned.
all mics go into the universal shock mount. The pop filter is designed for the shock mount. I will never have to think about shock mounts again.

I've made coat hanger shockmounts and embroidery hoop/electrical wire shockmounts. there's never a perfect way to clamp them to anything. I used an irwin quickgrip for a while. I'm sick of fidding around. I will gladly pay the insane amount of $50 to never worry about a pop filter again.

Last edited by pixeltarian; 06-28-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
musicbynumbers

I have to say that the mechanical difference in the way that metal grill pop shields work compared to fabric based ones is noticeable. I much prefer the metal grill ones. In the UK/Europe, Thomann do a decent one for £10 which is worth it, not just for looks and durability but for less transient loss/high end at the same time as absorbing/redirecting plosives.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
ivansc

This pre-supposes you have standard shock mounts, etc.
I run any number of different, odd-shaped mics including a HUGE Rode Classic and an Oktava 319. Most all of them dont work with a clip-on shock mount for one reason or another, so I pretty much have to use more than one standard shock mount, especially if I am recording more than one voice at a time.

+1 on the cheap boom stand idea - I also use one of those screw on mic bar thingies which gets the usual gooseneck-to-mic thread adapter in a much better position for most purposes.

And what exactly is wrong with coat hangers??!!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
EpicSounds

IMO all those filters are way too close to the mic to be really effective.

Try a regular filter on a second mic stand.