Old 10-08-2023, 06:24 AM   #1
Valle
Human being with feelings

Default JS Loudness Meter side chain

Hello, to all great JS programmers!

Regarding the JS Loudness Meter Peak/RMS/LUFS (Cockos):

Is there an easy way to modify the code so that the FX is “listening” to a given (configurable) frequency range from the incoming signal, for example 100 Hz to 400 Hz?

(Think: side chain/filter like in compressors).

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2023, 09:20 AM   #2
sonicowl

Add EQ before Loudness Meter, and it will show you level of filtered signal. Adjust EQ as needed.

To have it outside of signal path, create separate analysis track, un-route it from master, add eq and meter to it and route your signal to that track.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
Valle

Thanks! But I'm already doing that (sort of).

I need it to be configurable in the code.

Do you know how to modify the code?
Old 10-10-2023, 08:27 AM   #4
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
To have it outside of signal path, create separate analysis track, un-route it from master, add eq and meter to it and route your signal to that track.
Given that setup, how would you suggest I do if I want to analyse the Post FX Master signal split into different frequency bands?

As an addition to my original request/question, let me also clarify why I need this (configurable frequency "variables" in the code):

I'd like to split the (final) master, post FX, signal into five frequency bands. Each band's signal should pass through separate instances of JS Loudness Meter.

I guess one way would be to set up some fancy FX Monitoring chain/container-chain. But I already have a FX Monitoring setup for room equalization and other "critical" stuff, and I need to be absolutely certain that the monitoring signal isn't affected in anyway.

Anyway, if it's too complex to modify the code I completely understand. I was just hoping ...
Old 10-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #5
JonLinnarson

Why not just use one of the band splitter JS plugins? I think Sai'ke has one that does 5 or 6 bands, and it can also do linear-phase crossovers. Insert the splitter first, then 5 JS: Loudness Meter instance, and lastly the band joiner plugin. Make sure that each of the Loudness Meter instances are assigned to one pair of in/outs each (1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc).
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 03:43 AM   #6
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLinnarson View Post
Why not just use one of the band splitter JS plugins? I think Sai'ke has one that does 5 or 6 bands, and it can also do linear-phase crossovers. Insert the splitter first, then 5 JS: Loudness Meter instance, and lastly the band joiner plugin. Make sure that each of the Loudness Meter instances are assigned to one pair of in/outs each (1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc).
Creative! I have thought about something similar as well, but with other splitters. But I find it too compromising since it alters the the final signal. I can't do that.

Anyway, I think I'll give up on this request. It's not the whole world. Also, it went a bit out of topic.

Thanks for your inputs. Appreciated
Old 10-13-2023, 04:24 AM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
Creative! I have thought about something similar as well, but with other splitters. But I find it too compromising since it alters the the final signal. I can't do that.
You could set up an fx chain where the original channel 1/2 signal is copied to channels 3/4, then a jsfx frequency splitter splits 3/4 to 3/4 5/6 7/8, then separate jsfx loudness meters listen to 3/4 5/6 7/8. The original signal will be unmodified.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 07:42 AM   #8
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
You could set up an fx chain where the original channel 1/2 signal is copied to channels 3/4, then a jsfx frequency splitter splits 3/4 to 3/4 5/6 7/8, then separate jsfx loudness meters listen to 3/4 5/6 7/8. The original signal will be unmodified.
Thank you, schwa!

I guess that could work. I was hoping for 5 split signals, but I'll try and see if it serves its purpose. Maybe I'm just too picky ...

Again, thanks!