COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
s9dd
Human being with feelings

Default WDL-OL - How to add common .h and .cpp

Hi Guys

I am trying to understand WDL-OL, specifically how to add some .cpp and .h files at the root level.

I created a new folder for these files in the WDL folder, and added the .cpp and .h files.

I created a new User Macro, $(NEW_INCLUDE) and added the folder reference using "..\..\WDL\new_folder" format.

Next I've added it to the C/C++\All Options"Additional Include Directories" in Project Manager/PropertySheet for the App, Vst and VSt3 projects.

In code, the compiler can see the files and Intellisense works just fine.

But I am getting unresolved external symbol errors LNK2019 (VS2013), when it tries to create my plugin.lib and exp.

I -think- instinctively I need to add something else to solve the Linker problem in the property sheet - do I add something to the Additional Library Directories in Linker\All Options?

Presently that reads:
$(WDL_PATH)\Iplug\build-win... etc.. as it comes supplied.

The "everything on top of everything else" multi-project structure is new to me, and it's probably this I am finding more confusing than it probably is, once more familiar with the framework.

A little help from the experienced would be appreciated.

Last edited by s9dd; 04-11-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: \
s9dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
random_id

In Visual Studio, this is typically caused when the .cpp file is not in the project folder. You need to have the .cpp file added to each project (pluginname-vst2, pluginname-vst3, etc.). You can copy/paste it there, or drag the file into each project from the file explorer. That should fix the linker errors.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
s9dd

Thanks for the reply.

Sure, if you add a new .cpp or .h file (create new item), that makes sense.
If you are sharing a folder in WDL - like rtaudiomidi is - would that mean you have to duplicate the .cpp file into the project as well? I don't see any evidence in the examples that's how it's achieved.

Instead, I added a new WDL folder - WDL\CoolExtras say - with snazzy.h and snazzy.cpp in it, I would hope it would be pathed to VST VST3 and APP simply by referencing $(COOLEXTRAS_INCLUDE) with "..\..\WDL\CoolExtras", somewhere in the .props file.

Are you saying I have to duplicate the contents into each folder that as well? That doesn't seem quite right.

I found by experimentation it can lead to duplicate definitions too - as app, seems to wrap the main plugin .cpp and .h files.

This has to be simple (when you know how!!)
s9dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
random_id

OK, now I understand your question. Too bad I don't know the answer.
I have all of my DSP-ish files in another folder and add all of the .cpp files to each project, depending on what I need.

I will try playing around and seeing if I can find out the answer. You are right, there has to be an easy way.