Old 01-31-2016, 10:59 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default copy toolbar buttons?

i've built up a number of toolbars and want to reorganize. is it possible to copy a button from one toolbar to another? can i grab a bunch and copy them?

thanks,
BabaG

Last edited by babag; 01-31-2016 at 11:13 PM.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:17 AM   #2
DarkStar

'fraid not.

This is one area that could do with a "Whole Lotta Love"
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=134420

Old 02-01-2016, 03:24 AM   #3
4x4uk

however you can save an existing toolbar under a new name then delete the buttons you do not want
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:19 AM   #4
Pet

Save TB "x" and save TB "y" separately. Open both in e.g. notepad++. The first line shows the number of the toolbar (change the number e.g. from "4" to "6" to load it as TB 6).

Then "merge" what you need, but pay attention: "icon_0" is related to "item_0" and so on. In notepad++ you can "drag and drop" them if you place both windows side by side.

Not really "drag and drop" inside of Reaper, but hits the target.

HTH

Last edited by Pet; 02-01-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

you can copy and paste them one at a time using right click options but not easy to do multiple ones..

There's a few things that toolbars need. Hopefully at some point they will get a iteration or two
Old 02-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #6
babag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4uk View Post
however you can save an existing toolbar under a new name then delete the buttons you do not want
i haven't seen a 'save as' option anywhere. all i see is the 'save' button which just updates the changes i've made to the toolbar i'm 'customizing.' how does one 'save as' with a toolbar?

thanks. and thanks everyone else for the suggestions.
BabaG
Old 02-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
vidalsh

copy/cut/paste selected buttons/actions should be great...
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
babag

i seem to be only able to select one button at a time, though. i like the idea of saving toolbar with a new name and modifying but haven't found how to 'save as.' do we mean export?

thanks,
BabaG
Old 02-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #9
4x4uk

yes sorry
been a while since i did it, export for example floating toolbar1, you can call the saved file whatever you wish.

Before re-importing this though open it with a text editor and lets say for example you are planning to use this for Toolbar 2

the first line in the text file will be
[Floating toolbar 1]
change that to
[Floating toolbar 2]
then import it

Last edited by 4x4uk; 02-02-2016 at 08:08 AM.
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
babag

thanks!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #11
babag

just tried editing in notepad++ and it was kind of useless for me. i can see how it would be ok for a small toolbar but i have one with almost 400 buttons. the necessity of renumbering everything made it way too cumbersome to be practical. when i tried simply deleting things as a test the import of the new toolbar errored.

i tried a test of simply shortening my giant toolbar. i deleted buttons 0-233 and 299-377 (the last one). that meant the first button listed was 234. importing the toolbar with only buttons 234-298 errored. that clued me in to the need to renumber. not practical.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 02-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
just tried editing in notepad++ and it was kind of useless for me. i can see how it would be ok for a small toolbar but i have one with almost 400 buttons. the necessity of renumbering everything made it way too cumbersome to be practical. when i tried simply deleting things as a test the import of the new toolbar errored.

i tried a test of simply shortening my giant toolbar. i deleted buttons 0-233 and 299-377 (the last one). that meant the first button listed was 234. importing the toolbar with only buttons 234-298 errored. that clued me in to the need to renumber. not practical.
Hi babag, how badly would you like to do this? Using a spreadsheet you can do this pretty quickly.

If you'd like, you can post your "REAPERMENU File" and I'd take a shot at it. 400 icons means 800 lines but I think I can handle it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
babag

thanks, tod, but this is more of a theoretical thing, not just a one-off.

i'm re-working my toolbars which means a bunch of back-and-forth, trying one setup, then another. i wouldn't ask you to get involved in that. i would ask, however, how you deal with bracketing the numbering of the entries. what's the spreadsheet process you use?

thanks,
BabaG
Old 02-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #14
Tod

Quote:
thanks, tod, but this is more of a theoretical thing, not just a one-off.

i'm re-working my toolbars which means a bunch of back-and-forth, trying one setup, then another. i wouldn't ask you to get involved in that. i would ask, however, how you deal with bracketing the numbering of the entries. what's the spreadsheet process you use?
Okay, it can be a little difficult to explain but here's the idea.

The image below shows how a small toolbar with only 6 icons and 6 actions. Oops, I see I left out icon #5, but you should get the idea.

When I copy & paste them into my spreadsheet, this is how they look.

As you can see, "icon_", "number", "=", and "icon name/action" are all in different rows. The reason they are separated is because my spreadsheet gives me the option to do that, so it's very quick.

Then what I do with the numbers is replace them with formulas, the top number is always "0" and the rest of the numbers will be "=cell above + 1".

To delete any of them you have to delete both the "icons" and the "items" that corresponds to the icons. Then you need to change the numbers of the next icon and item from the formula to the actual number it should be. For example if you delete icons and items 2 & 3, then you would change the formulas for icon/item #4 to the actual #2.

After I'm done editing I simply create a string formula to connect them all together again. For example it might look like this: "=B3&C3&D3&E3".

Of course the time it takes depend on how big the toolbar is and how much deleting is done. But it still can be done quite quickly, much faster than doing it all manually.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #15
babag

thanks so much for this, tod. just had a cursory once-over this. it's way too dense for me to go over right now but i'll review it in detail when i get back to the studio tonight.

thanks again,
BabaG
Old 02-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #16
babag

just had a look at this, tod. i'm using openoffice for the spreadsheet import but it just comes in as one row per field. what settings do you use as delimiters when pasting the file?

thanks,
BabaG
Old 02-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #17
Tod

Quote:
just had a look at this, tod. i'm using openoffice for the spreadsheet import but it just comes in as one row per field. what settings do you use as delimiters when pasting the file?
Hi BabaG, where did you get openoffice? I'm using what's called OpenOffice version 4.1.1. I's a free download and looks and acts just like Excel.

At any rate, I get a "Text Import" window that gives me Separator options. There is one text box "Other" that I click on and put the separator I want in the box next to it. For more than one separator I have to do it once for each separator but that don't take to long, it's quite easy.

Try copy & pasting from Notpad++ into the spreadsheet and see if that Text Import window don't come up.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #18
babag

thanks again, tod. that's pretty much exactly what i have and am doing. OOo v4.1.1/Notepad++. always download from the source's website. played with a number of things but never got the layout you showed. getting to be too complicated to bother with. toolbars obviously need some attention. this is kind of ridiculous. maybe i'm crazy but it doesn't seem like it should take reaper and two other programs to rework your toolbars.

thanks again,
BabaG
Old 07-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #19
Edgemeal

I started making a tool so next time I need to copy/move some toolbar buttons it should be easy, but its a Windows app outside of Reaper.

I've seen some fancy scripts here, Could something like this be made using script in Reaper? Update See post #21

Last edited by Edgemeal; 07-10-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #20
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
I started making a tool so next time I need to copy/move some toolbar buttons it should be easy, but its a Windows app outside of Reaper.

I've seen some fancy scripts here, Could something like this be made using script in Reaper?
What do you have there Edgemeal, does that represent 3 different toolbars. And if so, are you moving the "Actions" right along with the icons?
Old 07-10-2017, 12:15 AM   #21
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
What do you have there Edgemeal, does that represent 3 different toolbars. And if so, are you moving the "Actions" right along with the icons?
Ya, basically edit your "reaper-menu.ini" visually. Drag and drop buttons between toolbars to copy/move, Delete, Insert, Separator buttons, duplicate toolbar, etc...

ReaBar for Windows in Reaper Stash

For REAPER v5 to v7.00+ (*** Last and Final Update ***)
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/47592/ReaBar%20v1.20.4.zip

Adjust toolbar button animation settings, Its So Easy!
Position mouse over button, Press "A" key...

For REAPER v5 to v6.83
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/39566/ReaBar.zip

VERY OLD SCREEN GRAB,

Last edited by Edgemeal; 10-20-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:53 AM   #22
hopi

please do post it... that looks very handy
Old 07-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #23
Pet

Edgemeal, I want to help you. Can you tell please what the "reaper-menu.ini" helps you?

Peter
Old 07-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #24
Pet

I use either the default menus or the ReaMenus. The ini is (almost) identical to the customized menus. Maybe it helps to have a look at the ReaMenus to see the structure: ReaMenus ...the better menu set.

ReaMenus 5.40 Stash
German Version 5.40 Stash

Hope that helps so far, my ini would not help you at all, as described above. But I have taken over the ReaMenus from Mike and translated them to german, so I had a close look to what's going on there. In case of toolbars the assignment to the icons comes in play, maybe this thread helps: Floating Toolbar Editing - needs some love IMO.

Peter
Old 07-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #25
Pet

OK, I just noticed that I totally missed the point. Somehow I was totally focused on menus instead of toolbars.
But if you still need some inis, I can zip mine (incl. portable ones) tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #26
Andaraginga

Quote:

thanks,
BabaG
I want to do the same thing, create a variation of an existing toolbar and also had the problem that I couldn't find a "save as..." button.
So, from what I read here, instead of copying the way to do it is to *export* and reimport the toolbar.
Is that correct?

@BabaG:
What I don't get about your post here is why you edit the new toolbar in an external application.
Why don't you just open it in Reaper and make edits there?
Is it just because of that 400+ buttons or did I miss anything?
Old 05-30-2020, 02:39 AM   #27
dahya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Ya, basically edit your "reaper-menu.ini" visually. Drag and drop buttons between toolbars to copy/move, a Delete button and Insert Separator option, tooltips display buttons/toolbars settings as viewed in the INI file. Working on getting images for buttons, default buttons don't have an "icon_" entry in INI file so making it hard. I could post it "as is" if any Windows users want to give it a try.

Search for ReaBar in Reaper Stash/Misc,..
https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/Misc
@Edgemeal that's fantastic, so useful when trying to copy multiple buttons, many thanks for that !!
dahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #28
SonicAxiom

thanks a lot for your app, Edgemeal!