Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
roygbiv
Human being with feelings

Default Using Harrison MixBus with Reaper Tips?

Hi Guys

Any suggestions/tips/tricks on how best to use Harrison MixBuss with Reaper. Use it as a final mixing stage for Reaper generated files? How best to Transfer files? Stem render and import, or link them, etc?

I finally pulled the plug and bought the MixBuss on sale (until March 22), since I've been thinking about going back to OTB mixing (Why would I do that? I need to finish up an album worth of material that's been lingering for over a year, yet I can' seem to "finalize" - paralysis by analysis, too many plugin options. Hurts my 50 year old brain, then I lose the muse).

Thus, Harrison MixBuss seemed like a good intermediate step between all that Reaper can do, and OTB mixing.

So, I bought and tried it last night. After a learning curve stumble, within a few hours I was up and running. REALLY enjoyed the old-school feel of mixing with all the EQ, Reverb and Compressor choices right at your fingertips (evoked old muscle memory). It was actually fun to mix again. Set up your busses, and go. No windows jumping around, no functions hiding behind other windows, etc. Want to change the tone? Move the EQ knob, then go on to your next decision while you are listening to the music. Definitely helped me with my ADD type issues, anyway.

SO, my question is - I don't want to leave Reaper (been using it over 6 years now), so my current thinking is to do all of the original recording, VSTi overdubs, editing, prep work, plug-in massaging, in Reaper, and then only when that is finished do the final mixing with MixBuss.

Hence I'm wondering who else is doing this, and if they have any tips.

Thanks for your suggestions/comments!

roy

Last edited by roygbiv; 03-20-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Mispelled words
roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Lawrence

PM or email this guy, he seems to do that, edit in Reaper and mix in MixBus.
I would assume he just prints stems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR5iGHQz_Po
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
roygbiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
PM or email this guy, he seems to do that, edit in Reaper and mix in MixBus.
I would assume he just prints stems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR5iGHQz_Po
Wow, that was quick - thanks Lawrence! - I'll watch that YouTube video.

I can really see this is being a good combo. The only daunting aspect is that I have ~ 25 songs already near-done, and so want the most efficient way to stem render, level matching, file rename, etc.,

I don't want to find out later there is a faster ways to do this, and I did it the stupid way. Also, I'd rather not lose some of the info/work/decisions I've already made for the material in Reaper (kick/bass ducking, etc.).

UPDATE - I should also note that I'm using Windows 7, so I won't have access to all of my plug-in arsenal. A good and bad thing, just trying to figure out if I should freeze/render, etc., to get some of the plug-in effects before transferring.

Last edited by roygbiv; 03-20-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
roygbiv

SOME NEW QUESTIONS;
1. Any tips on Stem rendering for such a task? I figured it out roughly last night, but was having volume issues, and had to re-name everything.

2. Anyone tried "AATranslater", a program for going from ProTools into other things, etc.? Could it be used for going from Reaper files to Harrison MixBuss? That would be super-fab, and worth its $59 cost, if I didn't have to stem-render, export, import, etc. all that different material. (Their WebSite is not very clear about Reaper->MixBuss).

3. What routing audio from Reaper into MixBuss, live, in real time, using JACK? Anyone tried that on Windows? I've read that can be done, but maybe it was only on OSX/Linux.

4. Anyone have any luck getting and VST or AU plugins to work on MixBuss in Windows 7? I haven't tried yet, again, trying to fish for some tips before setting off on a fools errand.

Thanks in Advance,

roy

PS - so far the video Lawrence posted is exactly what I experienced - an overall improvement in the "organic sound". For $60, its cheaper than buying most other analog emulators. Just trying to figure out how to retain all the goodness and power of Reaper, add this cool new sound/interface option, and minimize the impact on my work-flow.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Smurf

This is exactly what I use Mixbus for also. What I do is get the mix 90% there & then render each track individually out of Reaper. They "why" is because Reaper seems to dull down the mix when doing stems, and it still does a little when saving each track at a time.

This the ONLY REAL problem I have with Reaper since the 4x series started. 3.26 renders exactly what the mix sounds like, so I use that. As for VST's in Win7, it has been a serious hit & miss on stability. The Plug & Mix 2x series does fine, the 3x series crashes Mixbus a lot. MY older Sonnox plugins, which are stable in Reaper, laugh every time I open them in Mixbus. It is one of those "try it & see" type of things.

Reaper is my scratch pad anymore. When I need a lot of automation I use PT MP9. Then everything is ran thru Mixbus....works for me!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Lawrence

I'm considering updating MixBus when it gets some of the new Ardour 3 stuff. I bought version 1 way back just to kind of play with it on Mac a little, but going forward I may mix with it regularly in Win 7... once it updates again, and if it has another $50 sale or something I can catch... and if (dunno) I can even remember what email I registered v1 Mac with.

There was no Win version then (IIRC) so I couldn't really give it a good go in the studio.

I probably wouldn't use it for anything but mixing stems.

Edit: Curiously enough, I don't even see an upgrade path from v1 to v2 on the website.

Last edited by Lawrence; 03-21-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
roygbiv

Hey Lawrence

I normally avoid spamming for any other DAW on a Reaper site, but there is a sale for Mixbus 2.2 AND GVerb+ reverb plugin AND 3D Delay plugins.

ALL for only $60! Ends tomorrow.

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixb..._nb_promo.html

That's why I ended up trying it, and my recent interest in MixBus. Definitely worth the cost, IMHO.

At that price, its cheaper than most analog emulation plugins.

roy

PS - for some reason that sale is not listed on their main MixBus webpage. Not a good marketing strategy, IMHO.

Last edited by roygbiv; 03-21-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
roygbiv

Hi Smurf, thanks, in fact it was some of your posts extolling MixBus that helped push me off the fence and go ahead and buy it. I have to say, the sound is exactly as you say, excellent overall "vibe".

Couple of quick questions, if you don't mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
This is exactly what I use Mixbus for also. What I do is get the mix 90% there & then render each track individually out of Reaper.
Excellent to know - any tips or macro suggestions for how best to do this to make subsequent import into MixBus as painless as possible? - i.e.., how to keep the name of each track, the appropriate volume levels, best sample-rate to use for the WAV file rendering (so it is not re-rendered by MixBus sample-converter) etc.?

Quote:
...As for VST's in Win7, it has been a serious hit & miss on stability. The Plug & Mix 2x series does fine, the 3x series crashes Mixbus a lot. MY older Sonnox plugins, which are stable in Reaper, laugh every time I open them in Mixbus. It is one of those "try it & see" type of things.
Sorry for the dense question - how do I even get access to VST's on MixBus? Is that discussed somewhere on their webpage? Or is there a forum for MixBus similar to the fabulous one here for Reaper?

Thx

roy
Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
ALL for only $60! Ends tomorrow.
Sold. Thanks.

I'll be loading up some old stems tonight giving it a kick in the pants on Win 7.

P.S. Re: plug-ins and stability and all that, as long as Altiverb and Waves Supertap work in it so I can have my goto verb and delays, I'll be good. I'll be using it's own EQ's and comps.

Last edited by Lawrence; 03-21-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
roygbiv

kewl, keep us posted how it works for a real professional!

regarding the VST's, you'll see that package deal includes a pretty good sounding reverb, and an even cooler sounding delay (the graphics on both are kinda clunky, but they sound pretty good).

As you say, you'll be using the built in EQ and compressor, they are super easy to use, and sound great.

My concern was how/if other VST's can be used, such as Valhalla's Room, and some other useful stuff like ReaGate, etc. Apparently it will read AU plugins, but not sure how to get those to work on Windows 7.

Apparently VSTi's are not yet supported, so that will all have to be rendered beforehand.

And be warned, the graphics (at least from my laptop) are still a little primitive, this is no White Tie Walter theme. However, the ease of use was pretty spectacular once I got going. Everything is in the same place, just move from track to track, tweak, be done.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Lawrence

Holy shit... this thing sounds good, it's not hype at all, the comps and EQ's sound really good and there's definitely something else going on in these channels, not sure what ... however...

1. Track management is such a royal pain in the ass it may not be worth it. I dropped in stems from a song, 75 track stems, and I've spent the better part of the time so far moving tracks around, one by one in track lists.

2. Sends(so far at least) are such a pain I'm using two of the 8 MixBus groups for verbs since the send controls are already there.

Jesus, managing the Ardour 2 UI sucks balls, but damn again, the compression and saturation and EQ on the MixBus channels sounds f'ing great. I mean, I pushed up the high EQ on the vocal and it opens right up. I know this song well and I know what it sounds like, I've mixed it before.

This presents a major conundrum. Mix in it and be highly annoyed by the Ardour UI or focus on the sound and ignore the other stuff.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
roygbiv

yeah, it is a conundrum!

- MixBus really does sound great (as you say, the high EQ is silky smooth, the compressors are easy to use and sound great, etc).

Also, when everything is run through it, the sound seems to "gel" and become more cohesive (also a little more cloudy, not necessarily a good thing) - no longer just a bunch of independent sounds playing at the same time.

HOWEVER, getting the files in there, and arranging them, and naming them, then figuring out how to use the sends (without using up the limited number of buses) from Reaper so far is a drag.

So, we need tips on optimal work flow going from Reaper to MixBus.

Especially ways to export Reaper files right into a format/arrangement that MixBus can just suck right in, retaining order of tracks, etc.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #13
Wolffman

How would Mixbus compare to using a console plugin like Sknote stripbus or Satson etc in reaper ?

I'm just thinking the reaper stripbus combo might get somewhere close to the whole analogue console sound of MiXbus without loosing any of reapers flexibility.

Whats your thoughts.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #14
Stu

Well, you chaps have cost me $60

I've been looking at changing my workflow to help me physically seperate the writing/recording/editing/mixing stages when working on my own music, I have a bad habit of trying to do everything at once. Mixbuss caught my eye a while ago but the comments here on the sound (and the fact it's on sale!) pushed me to go for it. I'll be transferring stems a lot of the time between this and Reaper so I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how folks are getting along with it.

It's funny, when I'm doing paid work I have a very structured workflow but it goes completely out of the window when I'm doing my own stuff. Hopefully using a different DAW for certain things will help me focus on the task at hand and be more productive.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #15
Lawrence

I say all of the following having not yet read the manual, so that caveat should be noted... but there is - no scenario - where I'd ever imagine choosing Ardour 2.x on Win over Reaper or S1 or similar to record or edit on Win. It's just (comparitively) way too unweildy and slow, even though the track and clip editing features are setup very, very well (really they are, basic edit stuff, the smart tool works really well and editing clips is really, really fast) the UI is glitchy and it's way slower at way too many other things.

It took a - long - time for it to load the 75 44/24 stems after I chose them to import and no, there was no sample rate conversion or anything going on. No direct dragging of channels and tracks. Renaming console channels is by dialog, which kinda sucks, but again I only used the top field. Channels don't really highlight on selection or follow between arrange and the console. When you select an arrange track or console channel it doesn't scroll to the other like you'd expect so finding things between the two things is a good deal more work, scrolling around, searching for channels.

Without (I guess) the skinny mixer channels of A3, the channels take up a lot of space on my monitor so even at full screen you can't see very many channels at once.

Ardour 3 might be much, much better in regards to some of that but A2 in this case kinda really, really bites in those areas, workflow wise. I expect things like it's window drawing is probably much smoother on Linux though. On win it feels like a port, the graphic redraws are kinda slow.

It scanned my VST plugs with no issue but Altiverb wouldn't pass any sound at all. The bundled Harrison verb isn't bad though, sounded pretty good, and I kinda like that bundled 3D delay plug. I assume those plugs will show up in my other DAWs though I haven't tried yet.

But ... man ... those channel strips and bus DSP and all that sound really good. They smoothed over the digital tracks much like you'd expect from the hype. Vocal tracks that needed de-essing before with rather heavy compression (which typically accentuates sibilance) didn't need it at all there, on the contrary, I boosted the hi-end afterward and it still sounded good. The high end on the EQ is really, really smooth. Might be the best I've heard recently.

I'm not yet a fan of Ardour but Harrison has a clear winner in that DSP. Especially at that price. Literally the only thing missing from the channel strips is gating.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
norbury brook

Lawrence, have you checked out Cubase 7 ? They have all the tools like mixbus now in the channel racks so you can mix like a console if you have a big monitor.

MC
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
bharris

Quote:
This is exactly what I use Mixbus for also. What I do is get the mix 90% there & then render each track individually out of Reaper. They "why" is because Reaper seems to dull down the mix when doing stems, and it still does a little when saving each track at a time.
I'm curious about this and Mixbus, too (on KVR Tim from Harrison said that the sale will go through the end of March, BTW). I would like to learn more about exactly how you render each track to stems. When you say you get the mix 90% there, do you mean that you are using compression and EQ on the individual tracks to where you think you want it (using VST plugins), and then render that treated audio to a stem, with final compression and EQ in Mixbus?

Thanks!
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Lawrence, have you checked out Cubase 7 ? They have all the tools like mixbus now in the channel racks so you can mix like a console if you have a big monitor.
MC
Nah. My relationship with Cubase is over. Looks nice enough imo, but not my cup 'o Joe anymore. I never even bothered to get the demo.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
Smurf

Here is what I mean by 90%...

Once I have the tracks roughed in Reaper, mainly for the Midi parts, I will export them one at a time to a folder. It takes forever, but it is the only way ON MY SYSTEM to have the tracks come out sounding like they do in the rough.

I then Import these into Pt MP9 and then lay whatever else I need to. I then use it's native & bought RTAS effects plus it's editing & automation to get the tracks mixed. These are then rendered as stem's to a folder at the mix volume for each tracks.

I then import these into Mixbus, leaving the faders at 0. This way my "mix" sits the same way it did it PT. I then basically just run the tracks thru the Sub Groups, making sure that they are not triggering the Master Limiter. IF they are I reduce the volume of ALL the individual tracks to compensate.

In the "Mixbusses" I then make sure that the needles are staying between the -4 & +4 readings, and also do the same on the Master Out. Then I might use all the built in effects to tweak it a little, but mainly I use it as a big console/tape sat emulator. I have no tracks that I have permission to share with you, but the folks that have jumped on the Mixbus bandwagon will/are verifying that it DOES have a great sound to it, and enhances most everything that is run thru it.

Now, as for Track Names I have never had a problem with that. As for the tracks ending up taking 40 hours to import, and then being all over the track view, yes, I have that EVERY TIME! Ardour SUCKS on Windows, but lets be fair to Ardour. IT is made ONLY for Linux or Mac, Paul & the gang at Ardour do NOT make a Windows version of Ardour, and more than likely will not in the near future I would guess.

The Harrison group are the ones that brought Ardour, using it for the Mixbus foundation, to the Windows world...so any problems on the Windows side should be aimed at them really.

Here are a couple links to some videos that will give ya an overview of using Mixbus...

2 From Mixcoach.com

The Harrison YT Channel

Raines Broadcasting

Mixcoach has a tutorial called "Mixing in Mixbus v2 - Country" that is OK (I grabbed it for $16 when I bought Mixbus). The Harrison Channel has some good step-by-step stuff on it. Raines is supposed to be creating a series on using Mixbus.

All I can say about Ardour on AV Linux 6.0 is that it runs solid, imports audio as fast as PT (but not as fast as Reaper), and all the tracks are where they should be when it is done. I can not wait for AV Linux 6.01 with it's updates, including the new Ardour 3 with Midi & the newest Mixbus.

The pay-for linuxDSP effects that I have heard and/or used can stand side by side with most any plug in out there. Their Pultec clone is fantastic! They look good and they work solid in Linux. Their Windows counterpart is called OverTone DSP.

The free Calf plugins on the Linux side stand toe-to-toe with the native effects Reaper supplies IMHO, and have some nice GUI's. YES, they have some niggles, but overall you could use these to compliment Mixbus and never need to reach for another plugin for a project.

Hope this helps!!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #20
norbury brook

Ha, I'm a sucker for the whole FOS/community/Linux idea, that's what brought me to reaper initially

I know mix bus is commercial but I've bought it, I'll give Linux another bash soon because of this....no pun intended.....

I'm always interested to see how far things have come in the linux world, unfortunately they've never matched win/osx to date. I keep hoping though one day they'll sort things out, I mean look at the Muse receptors, they've managed to get windows VST instruments working very very well under Linux so it must be possible.

MC
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
Lawrence

Quote:
Now, as for Track Names I have never had a problem with that. As for the tracks ending up taking 40 hours to import, and then being all over the track view, yes, I have that EVERY TIME! Ardour SUCKS on Windows, but lets be fair to Ardour. IT is made ONLY for Linux or Mac, Paul & the gang at Ardour do NOT make a Windows version of Ardour, and more than likely will not in the near future I would guess..

Hope this helps!!
For sure. I respect Paul and what he's doing (he seems like a really great guy tbh) and of course, MixBus is not A3 yet anyway. But you're absolutely right. If Harrison is coding their own Win version, they should also make it a true fork and address some of that stuff for their customers.

It's not unreasonable to suggest that in 2013 a workstation should allow moving groups of tracks and channels via drag and drop or to have track selection follow between arrange and the mixer. No matter what functions a workstation has, you still have to manage it's UI and in this case, those things are highly annoying.

Yes, Ardour (at least 2.x) does kinda suck on Windows for those reasons and a few other minor things. OTOH, it's only a version 2 product so you can't expect the world in a basket at v2.

But I see where Paul & Co. are going with it in general and I like the "direction" a lot. Like Reaper, they maybe need to consult a tiny bit more on the UI behaviors. There is (comparitively speaking) way too much clicking around. Like the really nice track lists for arrange and the mixer and groups and all that. neither of them allow "swiping", which is a pretty obvious oversight imo.

Then the groups are all (afaict) created manually, create a new group, click each channel one at a time to add it to a group, click, click, click, click, when you should be able to select 10 channels and put them into a new group with a simple context menu function. I suspect (RTFM caveats still in play) that anyone with any experience on modern workstations would be annoyed a little by that stuff.

While they certainly are getting a lot of the little things right as relates to audio functions, they're apparently missing a lot of the little things as relates to general UI comfort and speed.

And yes, in this case all of those complaints go to the Harrison developers, not to Paul and Co., since the Win version is not their baby.

Last edited by Lawrence; 03-23-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
Smurf

Agree Lawrance...

And I missed the how to set the path to VST's part....

In Mixbus 2.2 for Windows..

1. In Mixbus, go to "Window - Preferences"

2. In the First Tab, "Plugins", click on "Add VST Folder" and point it to the folder you want to use.

On my system this took FOREVER because of all the plugins that did not work, but once done that blacklist will keep things orderly...

Hope this helps!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #23
Jeronimo

See if it helps.
I think there are subtitles for the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugBc7dxoeT8
Old 03-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
richie43

Quote:
And yes, in this case all of those complaints go to the Harrison developers, not to Paul and Co., since the Win version is not their baby.
For the record, I bought mixbus during the sale and sent some questions to the Harrison support, and Paul is the one answering those for some reason.
Other than no vsti or 64bit support, and even a few of my fav 32bit plugins caused it to crash and burn, and I can't use any plugins that technically have more than 2 inputs (Nebula, many compressors, some reverbs....sigh), I am actually liking it as a big analog emulation summing device. I just A/B tested a few recent projects that I pseudo-mastered 2 versions of pre-masters; 1 directly from Reaper, and the other was a buss-stem mix from Reaper and then "summed" through MixBus before the pseudo master. I then had my reluctant wife play me the 2 results randomly in 3 different sessions, and I unanimously picked the versions that had been MixBus summed. Just what I need, another step in my already intense and to some convoluted work-flow.... I can't deny my ears though....sigh.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
Blandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
For the record, I bought mixbus during the sale and sent some questions to the Harrison support, and Paul is the one answering those for some reason.
Other than no vsti or 64bit support, and even a few of my fav 32bit plugins caused it to crash and burn, and I can't use any plugins that technically have more than 2 inputs (Nebula, many compressors, some reverbs....sigh), I am actually liking it as a big analog emulation summing device. I just A/B tested a few recent projects that I pseudo-mastered 2 versions of pre-masters; 1 directly from Reaper, and the other was a buss-stem mix from Reaper and then "summed" through MixBus before the pseudo master. I then had my reluctant wife play me the 2 results randomly in 3 different sessions, and I unanimously picked the versions that had been MixBus summed. Just what I need, another step in my already intense and to some convoluted work-flow.... I can't deny my ears though....sigh.
Aaaaarg, yer killing me!!
Blandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandry View Post
Aaaaarg, yer killing me!!
If it helps you make a decision any easier, i got it on a "no-brainer" sale for $60, but that sale may be over now as of yesterday...... I think of it as a very complex and subtle plugin, in a way. In that regard it is awesome. I am dedicating some time to it, as I am in between some bigger projects. But I don't imagine it becoming my main DAW any time soon, my affair with Reaper is still in an extended honeymoon stage.......
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
Smurf

Quote:
I am actually liking it as a big analog emulation summing device.
Just what we use it for...\

Using it as a DAW on Windows is way to much of a pain...but on Linux it is a different story in our experience...
Old 03-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #28
richie43

Quote:
Oops. Not Paul at all, but Ben Loftis of Harrison Consoles.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #29
Smurf

Big disappointment for the next Mixbus update...

I was hoping that the next 2.3 version of Mixbus would have the new Ardour 3.0 with midi, but I just found out that Mixbus 3.0 will have the newest Ardour 3.0, and all the 2.x series will stay wih the old version....

I know that it makes sense, but it is a huge disappointment for us because I really wanted to try it out as a full DAW under windows with all the Mixbus "extras"...sigh...come on AV Linux 6.01!!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #30
richie43

Quote:
Big disappointment for the next Mixbus update...

I was hoping that the next 2.3 version of Mixbus would have the new Ardour 3.0 with midi, but I just found out that Mixbus 3.0 will have the newest Ardour 3.0, and all the 2.x series will stay wih the old version....

I know that it makes sense, but it is a huge disappointment for us because I really wanted to try it out as a full DAW under windows with all the Mixbus "extras"...sigh...come on AV Linux 6.01!!
Does this mean that when Mixbus 3 comes out we don't get the upgrade? Do you know Smurf?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #31
Smurf

I am assuming that we will have to pay again, since the Mixbus sites says...

Includes:
*Licensed Mixbus Application v2.2 for Windows, OSX, and Linux
*Harrison's renowned email support
*Free 2.X updates

I understand the reasoning, but since they are basing their product on a free open source project I just figured that they would do the update for folks.

But the limitation seems pretty plain, 2.x buyers only get 2.x updates....
Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #32
grinder

Guy's why read into something something that has not happened yet?
If Mix Bus is as good as you say it will be worth having alongside Reaper?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #33
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Guy's why read into something something that has not happened yet?
If Mix Bus is as good as you say it will be worth having alongside Reaper?

Grinder
Of course it is worth having along side Reaper, that's why I got it on super-sale. But I think we are just speculating on what we actually got for the purchase price, that's all. No worries
Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #34
Smurf

Quote:
Of course it is worth having along side Reaper, that's why I got it on super-sale. But I think we are just speculating on what we actually got for the purchase price, that's all. No worries
Agree!

I am just disappointed that I will not be able to try out Ardour 3 on windows, which you can only do thru Mixbus at this time. So far in Linux it is a nice step up from 2.8.x for sure, BUT I can not load my VSTi's yet to really try out the Midi side of it.

I am looking forward to AVLinux 6.01 for this ability because it will have the updated Carla in it...

And just like it is plain that a Reaper purchase is only good for 2 versions, the Mixbus statement makes it pretty clear that the purchase is only good for the 2.x series...I would LOVE to be wrong tho!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #35
bitrate

Quote:

This the ONLY REAL problem I have with Reaper since the 4x series started. 3.26 renders exactly what the mix sounds like, so I use that.
OK I'm going to ask my question in this thread since it would likely not be as hijacking due to the age of the thread and the OP likely got his answer...

What!!! The renders are truer from version 3 than version 4? I hadn't heard about this until I saw this thread. Are people not using 4x to render and instead using v3x?
bitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #36
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitrate View Post
OK I'm going to ask my question in this thread since it would likely not be as hijacking due to the age of the thread and the OP likely got his answer...

What!!! The renders are truer from version 3 than version 4? I hadn't heard about this until I saw this thread. Are people not using 4x to render and instead using v3x?
For the record, I use the most current release (always, as they come), and I have no "dulling" or renders.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #37
mikebenson

Quote:
Here is what I mean by 90%...

Once I have the tracks roughed in Reaper, mainly for the Midi parts, I will export...

Hope this helps!!
It helped me. Thanks for the detailed workflow.
mikebenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #38
Smurf

Bitrate, on my system they sound like a towel is tossed over the speakers most every time I do a Render in V4, no matter what speed or what settings I have tried, and believe me, the great folks on this forum have kept me busy over the months trying out stuff...but V3 just sounds better TO ME.

And I am glad my book helped out some mikebenson!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #39
bladerunner

Quote:
I dropped in stems from a song, 75 track stems, and I've spent the better part of the time so far moving tracks around, one by one in track lists.
What cpu are you using? I have a Q6600 and it can only manage around 40 tracks before it chokes.

I'm reassessing Mixbus for serious work again - not looking too good though. With only a few tracks loaded the graphics can take anything up to 2 seconds to update when zooming into the arrange page (I have an Nvidia GT 610 gpu).