Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Satyajit
Human being with feelings

Default Cocos reaverbate (dsp reverb not impulse ) very hi quality but underestimated reverb

Wk ago I had got chance to take a work shop abt reaper in indians reputed audio engineering school. they actaully work with avid and mac based systems. they manily teach Logic and pro tools. But some ppl needed low cost sw/hardware solution but didnt want to compromise on quality. SO these guys invited me to take workshop on reaper. For that I took my multi track sessions. and I needed to mix it every thing inside the box, that means I had to use all reaper plugs. and I started to tweak cocs reaverbate (dsp) reverb plugin. and it was giving surprising result. I read some where on the net. that some guy was using reaverbate plug for commercial use and he praised abt it lot.
And it is actaully true. cocos reaverbate is far better than the commercial reverbs in the market. no nonsense clean gui, clean subtle fading reverb tails. it eats barely 1 % cpu.

Youtube tutorials of reaverbate are quite misleading and poor. I am giving a links of my commercial songs here to give u examples of reaverbate. Plz dload the below files from the link...

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/2g7x..._01_sept_F.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/8lcl..._Remasterd.mp3

here I made track template for hall reverb

http://www.mediafire.com/view/h0li11...RTrackTemplate

Last edited by Satyajit; 09-01-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Satyajit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
hamish

Hi man, I listened to Aman ke Khhat Remasterd.mp3, very good production. I agree with you ReaVerb impulse generator is pretty good.

I'm also putting together some presets for it.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Satyajit

No its not impulse reverb. Its a regular algorithmic reverb...
Old 09-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
hamish

Oh, sorry you're talking about ReaVerbate.

If you look at ReaVerb and click the button 'Add' then 'Echo Generator' you will get another algorithmic reverb. I like this one better than ReaVerbate.

Maybe it has been upgraded recently too, I'll check out your TrackTemplate later.

Good work spreading the word about REAPER, good story.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
inertia

I think all the Rea plugs would get more use if they had better, sexier interfaces.

While people will say "it's only the sound that matters", it really isn't. You also need to be inspired to want to use the product.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:01 AM   #6
Xenakios

I would say ReaVerbate, like other reverbs, has its potential uses and it may fit well for a particular purpose but I really wouldn't call it capable of high end results...(It's based on the same well known but not that advanced algorithm used by pretty much every other free/low end reverb plugin.)
Old 09-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #7
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
I would say ReaVerbate, like other reverbs, has its potential uses and it may fit well for a particular purpose but I really wouldn't call it capable of high end results...(It's based on the same well known but not that advanced algorithm used by pretty much every other free/low end reverb plugin.)
who cares about the advancedness of the algorithm? people brag about the old Lexicon algorithm ... everythjing not advanced. the same people shoot with different arguments at the same target. one time it is "real true and vintage", the next time if it fits its "not that advanced". sorry, but wtf ...?

if the sound is the sound that is wanted, nobody is interested in pseudo-arguments like this one ... sorry, your post doesnt make any sense and is not that helpful.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #8
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
your post doesnt make any sense and is not that helpful.
Your post didn't make much sense either...

The "old Lexicon algorithms" (dating back to 1980's) were already much more advanced than the algorithm used by ReaVerbate. So advanced in fact, that developers have had real trouble replicating those properly to this date.

I hope you were not suggesting ReaVerbate's algorithm has something to do with the Lexicon algorithms...? (It is a bit difficult to understand what you are trying to say in your post.)

Basically, I am saying that use whatever sounds good to you. Personally I'd feel pretty miserable if I only had ReaVerbate to work with. (Especially knowing how it actually works in the code.)

Last edited by Xenakios; 09-02-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:16 AM   #9
Satyajit

yes reaverbate may not be advance reverb, but its doing its job. also in the complex mix reverb send levels are subtle that ppl will be hardly noticing modulation parameters, and other stuff. plz go through my mixes they are crisp and clean with good ambient reverb. I think for indian and pop music this reverb will do good job.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #10
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
(It's based on the same well known but not that advanced algorithm used by pretty much every other free/low end reverb plugin.)
How do you know ?

(just curious and not doubting that it isn't)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #11
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
How do you know ?

(just curious and not doubting that it isn't)
The code is in the Cockos open source WDL library. (verbengine.h) It doesn't take a great detective to figure out that code is used in ReaVerbate. The code file in turn has

Code:
This is based on the public domain FreeVerb source:
      by Jezar at Dreampoint, June 2000
      http://www.dreampoint.co.uk
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
nofish

Interesting, thanks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
JimFichs

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
I think all the Rea plugs would get more use if they had better, sexier interfaces.

While people will say "it's only the sound that matters", it really isn't. You also need to be inspired to want to use the product.
While that's true, I find myself leaning toward minimal interfaces more often. A simple compressor with a big, jpeggy background and rendered knobs makes me wince.

Not that minimal can't be fancy or inspiring, either. Pro Q and the Valhalla Reverbs are top-notch in the UI department.
JimFichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Aeolian

I always liked LOSER's JS Hall Reverb ... That is, if i can't use my usual IR stuff.

LOSER's JS Hall Reverb can be found here:

http://ro.cking.ch/Reverb%20%28Hall%29.reajs
Old 09-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
Mr. Data

Quote:

Yes, they might say that and I think most of the Reaplugs are top notch and more versatile than most, if not all, others I know, but since people are confronted with these (compared to others) poor GUIs, they won't even try them out because of that.

-Data
Old 09-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
hamish

I don't know, I looked at ReaVerberate again. It hasn't had any development at all, it's not tweakable.

It's really very limited and I honestly never use it.

Last edited by hamish; 09-03-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #17
alex1073

I love REAPER plugs and am also a big fan of REAPER generic UI, but, REAPER algo verb is the only one of them that really suck badly, and no, it doesn't do the job, it's not good only in certain cases (it's never good) and that's not the question of taste, that's the fact. It simply sucks and does the same thing all the bad free reverbs do, just like Xenakios said (I even didn't know it was based on the the same algorithm as the other bad free verbs but I always thought it sounded even worse than the worst free verb). I was really surprised how bad it was when I first tried it and thought maybe they would improve it or at least get rid of it which didn't happen and it's O.K. - not every stock plug must be great, good or even usable.

Cheers,
Alex
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #18
cporro

Quote:

i think you got it. i love the stock stuff with reaper. and i come from using UAD stuff, 140 plate, BDF2 verbs and rooms, and altiverb. now, reverbate does not sound like any of these but it doesn't sound bad and i like it better then the 140 stuff on some things.

i was recording when free reverbs really did sound bad. 2000. if you think reverbate sounds bad you should try and find the stock stuff digidesign was using 13 years ago. : ) total trash.

i've gone through the golden ears series a few times and could at one point ID 1/3 octaves so i think, at the minimum, i've got decent ears.

i am starting to like algorithmic reverbs a lot more these days.

one point to consider is reverbs in the context of a mix. you don't always want super lush reverbs just like you don't always want full sounding instruments.

anyway, after i dial in reverbate i'm pretty happy with it. i've thought about doing mixes with just reaper stock plugins. in the end it's how you use your tools now what tools you have.
cporro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 AM   #19
alex1073

PoorPlate - no GUI, same (small) number of controls as ReaVerbate but still one of the best free verbs.

Cheers,
Alex
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #20
hamish

Hibiki verb in the Freeverb3 collection is good and very tweakable while having possibly the ugliest interface in all VST-dom.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #21
Satyajit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cporro View Post
i think you got it. i love the stock stuff with reaper. and i come from using UAD stuff, 140 plate, BDF2 verbs and rooms, and altiverb. now, reverbate does not sound like any of these but it doesn't sound bad and i like it better then the 140 stuff on some things.

i was recording when free reverbs really did sound bad. 2000. if you think reverbate sounds bad you should try and find the stock stuff digidesign was using 13 years ago. : ) total trash.

i've gone through the golden ears series a few times and could at one point ID 1/3 octaves so i think, at the minimum, i've got decent ears.

i am starting to like algorithmic reverbs a lot more these days.

one point to consider is reverbs in the context of a mix. you don't always want super lush reverbs just like you don't always want full sounding instruments.

anyway, after i dial in reverbate i'm pretty happy with it. i've thought about doing mixes with just reaper stock plugins. in the end it's how you use your tools now what tools you have.
I agree with Mr.cporro. I use reaverbate as track sweetener. I hv also uploaded my mp3 files to show the results. Customers are happy with my result. they don't hate me bcos I don't use particular expensive reverb. In india I did a instrumental cd in 2002 with cool edit pro with all basic stock plugins... record company sold almost 1,50,000 cds. Customers did not notice weather I used lexicon reverb or native cool edit reverb. I even didn't have pro gear at that time. just 2 sound blaster sound cards and 4 sm 58 mics
Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
Andywanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1073 View Post
PoorPlate - no GUI, same (small) number of controls as ReaVerbate but still one of the best free verbs.

Cheers,
Alex
Agreed.

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote