Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
gregerlindberg
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 7 64 bit + Waves plugins

Installed Windows 7 64 bit on my new computor. When i open uper Reaper 64 and the SSL plugins its not the SSL gui. Its the rea plugins GUI in it instead. Kind of different when u learned to tweak it as it normally look.
My question, is it suppose to be like this? can i get it to look the way it is suppose to do? Or is it due to that it originally is a 32bit plugin running in a 64bit OS?
gregerlindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
ThePulse

Has nothing to do with the OS. It's that you're using the 64-bit version of Reaper and the x86 (32-bit) bridge can't account for all of the coding of the 32-bit plug-ins in that x64 environment.

Everything shows up fine in the x86 version of Reaper...even on a x64 OS.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
gregerlindberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePulse View Post
Has nothing to do with the OS. It's that you're using the 64-bit version of Reaper and the x86 (32-bit) bridge can't account for all of the coding of the 32-bit plug-ins in that x64 environment.

Everything shows up fine in the x86 version of Reaper...even on a x64 OS.
So is it possible to use the 32 bit Reaper in 64bit OS and it will work or will it not run? So i can get the Gui?
Thank you for the answer. =)
/Greger
Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 AM   #4
Edwood

Yep, I'm Running Reaper 32 on a 64 bit system. Only way I can get Addictive Drums to show, Ed
Edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #5
gregerlindberg

Then some more dumb questions.
If 32 bit work on a 64 bit OS.
What are the advantages of running a reaper 64, instead if reaper 32?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
ThePulse

The advantage of Reaper x64 over Reaper x86 is that it's able to use more memory the x86 version. Where as the x86 might top off at 2.5-3GB of RAM, the x64 version (like anything x64) is able to use loads of RAM.

Truthfully though, you will ONLY see this performance gain if you use a MASSIVE AMOUNT of synths, or a MASSIVE AMOUNT of audio tracks. The largest Reaper x86 project Ive had was 74 audio tracks large, 3 NI synths strong, and 30-40 VST's solid...and I still had no problem with stability.

So there is no actual reason why you should have to go to x64 YET (assuming that you don't make massive productions, that is). And until some of the more important VST's (::cough:: Waves!!!) work flawlessly in a x64 DAW...I'll be sticking with Reaper x86.

On a sidebar...why the hell hasn't Waves made 64-bit compatible plug-ins yet? A lot of companies are doing it. Hell even iZotope has done it with their FAMOUS line of mastering plug-ins. When you install them, they install an x86 version and an x64 version. Get on the ball vendors.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
fuseburn

I had terribly annoying problems with Waves on Win7 64 Bit and I finally found a solution !

- The user account control changes some things (coming from Win XP 32), but it's not that much: It's only relevant for older waveshells (5.0/5.2 etc, for all us Non-WUPers) which write their filter properties into the registry. These keys are located under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Classes. Whenever you encounter the famous "could not find any Waves Plugins, reinstall...blabla" simply change the privileges of the "Classes" registry key. Users need to have full access (right click on "Classes" in regedit), at least during the plugin scan - otherwise C1, Q1, REQ etc. won't appear at all.
No need to install or run anything as an admin, just that single reg key ownership. UAC may be activated, no problems with that.

- Things might be quirky GUI-wise when using the original WaveShells. I had much better stable results using the famous shell2vst converter. Somehow I have to run shell2vst as admin to create the single wrappers. Move to vstplugins, clear cache and rescan plugin directory, done.

- The BIGGEST issue for me was: newer WaveShell GUIs (SSL, API) didn't appear at all, just black. I found out that my graphic adapter (Macbook Pro with X1600, Boot Camp 3, Snow Leopard, Win7 x64) didn't run anything OpenGL-related. While desperately trying to find a driver version which would let me run it, I accidentally ACTIVATED Aero again (I always turn off any graphic stuff, so my Win7 looked like Win2000) - and suddenly OpenGL worked. Turning off Aero seems to entirely disable 3D-/OpenGL support for GUIs.

So now I'm happily using Reaper x64 with Waves plugins !
Old 10-20-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
Mortis

Hi @ all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuseburn View Post
... registry. These keys are located under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Classes. Whenever you encounter the famous "could not find any Waves Plugins, reinstall...blabla" simply change the privileges of the "Classes" registry key. Users need to have full access (right click on "Classes" in regedit), at least during the plugin scan - otherwise C1, Q1, REQ etc. won't appear at all.
No need to install or run anything as an admin, just that single reg key ownership.
I've got the same problem with that waves - could not find any waves plug-ins .
And I tried to fix it with the registry. I am using a German version. :P
So would you please tell me, what I accuratly have to do?

Should I change the whole "Classes"-folder? Or just parts of it?
And what do I have to change? --> see my screenshot http://www.youscreen.de/Classes.jpg <--
Just the access (1) or even the ownership (2)?

Greetz
Mortis
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
fuseburn

Just one single checkbox: Users need to have full access to the entire "Classes" key.
Nothing else to do, no change of ownership.
After that shell2vst should be working.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:49 AM   #10
Mortis

Ok, thank you very much! That helped! Great!
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 AM   #11
drillbit

I'm just about to install Windows7 64bit. I have the impression that I can get nearly all plugins and standalone's to run even though they are 32bit. Is this correct?

I really need: Battery, Kontakt, Guru, SynthSquad and BFD2 to run. oh, and a Line 6 audio interface.

Do you think there will be any problems?
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillbit View Post
I'm just about to install Windows7 64bit. I have the impression that I can get nearly all plugins and standalone's to run even though they are 32bit. Is this correct?

I really need: Battery, Kontakt, Guru, SynthSquad and BFD2 to run. oh, and a Line 6 audio interface.

Do you think there will be any problems?
Most 32Bit apps/plugins work just fine under Win7 x64.
You can get the Waves plugins to install... but it's a small PITA.
If you have the latest version of Komplete 6, it has both 32Bit and 64Bit (code) versions of the plugins. The 32Bit (code) versions of the NI plugins work fine in Win7 x64.

In general, if your software/hardware works well with Vista x64, it'll work with Win7 x64.

Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
Cableaddict

Jim,

A few folks have suggested that running Win-64 and WOW gives no appreciable cpu hit. That in fact it may be more efficient than the same apps & plugins under XP32.

Does you experience back this up?
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Jim,

A few folks have suggested that running Win-64 and WOW gives no appreciable cpu hit. That in fact it may be more efficient than the same apps & plugins under XP32.

Does you experience back this up?
Yes
32Bit apps run very well under x64...
Performance is typically just a smidge better than running them under x86.

Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com
Old 10-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
Pashkuli
Banned

You can use the benefits of x64 bts OS only if you:
1. Have x64-bits processor (assuming you have one)
2. Every... I mean really EVERY hardware installed on you computer has x64-bits driver for your installed x64-bits OS. Otherwise tha device may not work properly and it won't work as expected.
3. Every program you install is recomended to has x64-bits edition (otherwise you can't use more than 3 GB RAM addressing per application because 32-bits limmiting). Especially audio and video programs and raster/vector applications with real-time rendering and so on...
4. If you cover 1-3 you'd better have at least 4 GB of RAM. Otherwise it won't worth it. Recommended is 8, 12 or more for your needs.
5. Money... of course. With money you can purchase even custom 64-bits drivers for any x64-bits OS.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #16
yurki

Default crash crash crash

Quote:
I had terribly annoying problems with Waves on Win7 64 Bit and I finally found a solution !

- The user account control changes some things (coming from Win XP 32), but it's not that much: It's only relevant for older waveshells (5.0/5.2 etc, for all us Non-WUPers) which write their filter properties into the registry. These keys are located under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Classes. Whenever you encounter the famous "could not find any Waves Plugins, reinstall...blabla" simply change the privileges of the "Classes" registry key. Users need to have full access (right click on "Classes" in regedit), at least during the plugin scan - otherwise C1, Q1, REQ etc. won't appear at all.
No need to install or run anything as an admin, just that single reg key ownership. UAC may be activated, no problems with that.

- Things might be quirky GUI-wise when using the original WaveShells. I had much better stable results using the famous shell2vst converter. Somehow I have to run shell2vst as admin to create the single wrappers. Move to vstplugins, clear cache and rescan plugin directory, done.

- The BIGGEST issue for me was: newer WaveShell GUIs (SSL, API) didn't appear at all, just black. I found out that my graphic adapter (Macbook Pro with X1600, Boot Camp 3, Snow Leopard, Win7 x64) didn't run anything OpenGL-related. While desperately trying to find a driver version which would let me run it, I accidentally ACTIVATED Aero again (I always turn off any graphic stuff, so my Win7 looked like Win2000) - and suddenly OpenGL worked. Turning off Aero seems to entirely disable 3D-/OpenGL support for GUIs.

This is a great story, thanks a lot for this!
Unfortunately I still can't get it working. I also have windows 7 64bit. changing the permissions on the classes fixes the first part. Then I tried shell2vst, got some nice dll's now. But still: when I open a c1 or anything else from murcery or diamond bundle, from the shell2vst dll or the shell itself, it crashes my host(both ableton live and max/msp same problem). the strange thing is that other wave bundle plugins work fine! my windows view is already set to aero...
First I thought it had something to do with graphics, becouse I opened a set in ableton and everything was working fine I think but when I opened the wwindow of a c4-> crash. But now I'm not sure becouse the same set causes a crash on the start since then...

I'm working on this problem for the one whole day now, I'm out of idea's
can anyone help me? thanks

(also frustrating is, ableton live hangs in memory if it crashes so I have to reboot every time. same problem with xp)
yurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #17
yurki

Default no crash anymore

Hi,
I just want say, I figured it out.
I already changed the compatibility mode
of ableton live to xp sp3, without succes,
but I didn't try xp sp2. I thought it
wasn't such a big difference...but that
was the key, everything is working now!
Using wave plugins on windows 7 64 bit
in ableton.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
Bubbagump

Quote:
Just one single checkbox: Users need to have full access to the entire "Classes" key.
Nothing else to do, no change of ownership.
After that shell2vst should be working.

Where does one find this shell2vst? I Googled and found a bunch of broken links. Is this thing legit?
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #19
ants

Default helllp

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurki View Post
Hi,
I just want say, I figured it out.
I already changed the compatibility mode
of ableton live to xp sp3, without succes,
but I didn't try xp sp2. I thought it
wasn't such a big difference...but that
was the key, everything is working now!
Using wave plugins on windows 7 64 bit
in ableton.

please good sir im in diying to know how you changed the compatibility mode to sp2 i have the exact same problem and have searched every were but cant find the answer.. please please tell me... email me @ djinverce@live.co.uk..

thanks alot in advance...zz
ants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #20
yurki

Default compatibility mode windows 7

hi ants,
just saw your message, forgot to turn on mail notification,
I'm sorry. Hope you already found the answer, in case not here is
mine:
1. go to the live program folder and do right mouse click on live.exe
or
go to the shortcut on your taskbar of windows 7 and do right mouse click
and once again do right mouse click on live
2. go to properties
3. go to compatibility
4. turn on the "run this program in compatibility mode for"
5. choose: windows xp (service pack 2)

that's it
Old 01-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #21
moophone

BTW for anyone (like myself who just switched to Reaper yesterday) who is wondering how to get WaveShell 5.7/5.9 (e.g. API/SSL) GUI working - just use shell2vst and it will show the GUI no problem. Without using shell2vst you just end up with a black screen for the gui.

What I did was copy the two waveshell dll's and shell2vst.exe to c:\ (outside the vstplugins dir), drop the 2 dll's onto the shell2vst.exe, then copy back the contents of the waves dir into a vstplugins folder and clear cache and rescan.
moophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
audioguytodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump View Post
Where does one find this shell2vst? I Googled and found a bunch of broken links. Is this thing legit?
I found it here in the first post. I have not tried it yet though...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2430859
Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #23
ChadB

Wow, awesome, thanks! I'm using Waves 7 on Windows 64 Bit. Testing out Reaper 64 and am able to get it to see all the plugs now. I just updated the Classes permissions on the reg key and the plugin scan finally worked.
ChadB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #24
prezbass

I did Moophone's trick last night, and everything worked fantastically. I, too, can use Waves plugs in Reaper 64.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:24 AM   #25
Malevo

Quote:

I've tried all this and I still get the API and SSL looking completely black.
Any other solutions?
Malevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #26
jolanband

Default Cubase 5 - Waves problems

Hey guys

If you have problems with Waves Millenium bundle not being picked up by Cubase 5 ( ie. receiving error - "Please reinstall Waves plug-ins in order to use Waveshell" )....

Go to your system where you installed the Waves folder - c:/programfiles/waves

Open the Millenium Read me file - it lists the name of every plug in dll that was installed into that same Waves folder.

Create a folder called waves on your desktop and COPY everyone of those dll files into it (about 90)

Then MOVE that folder into c:/programfiles/steinberg/cubase5/vstplugins

Open Cubase 5 ( ignore any error msgs) and refresh your plug in information from the drop down tool bar

All the waves plug ins should appear

This worked for me on Windows 7 64 bit with Cubase 5

Good luck!
jolanband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #27
Jim Roseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevo View Post
Any other solutions?
Do you have the latest version 7 installer?
Using the latest version 7 installer for the SSL bundle, the plugins install and work just fine under Win7_x64 using Reaper_x64 or Reaper_x86.
jBridge causes the generic GUI to be revealed (under Reaper_x64), but the normal SSL GUI pops up (floating) and works as expected.

Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com
Old 01-31-2010, 03:19 AM   #28
norbury brook

I have the waves CLA v7 running fine under reaper x64 and win 7 x64.
There was a problem in 3.2 that made reaper hang with bridged waves bit it was fixed in 3.21

you need the latest v.7 waves shell to be fully compatible with windows 7. so time to reacquaint your self with the WUP

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #29
Gerry G

Default This is the one of the best threads ever

This has to be one of the best threads I have read in a long time.
Sticky votes anybody?
I have not tried the Waves stuff but it is helping me with generally understanding 64 bit stuff and solutions and 64 bit will give continuing issues for a while to come yet.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #30
norbury brook

To be honest reaper x64 has bridged all my 32 bit plugs/VSTI's perfectly, reaper x64 is running like a dream here.

I have;

EW PLay
Kontakt 4
guitar rig 4
Massive
absynth
FM 8
Garritan Steinway
Halion 3.5
Vienna pro
PSp SQuad
reverberate
Nebula Pro 3

all running natively X64 so I've only a few plugs/VSTI's now that need bridging

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #31
swami

Default Fuseburn... i owe you a drink.

Quote:

dude...

I have been pulling my hair out for DAYS, trying to figure out how to get Waves to run on my new Windows 7 machine.

You have just made my DAY. I seriously owe you one for this.

THANK YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
swami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #32
barbaroja

helped me, too. However, I still ask ¿does running the installer as admin gives you full access to this classes registry entry? When I installed the plugs, I did it as an admin, with this setting (classes) previously modded. Reaper gets the shells be it on full acces or the limited standard. To be sincere, still do not know if its the installation procedure whats wrong.

Thank you very much for the tip!!!
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #33
Lazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by moophone View Post
BTW for anyone (like myself who just switched to Reaper yesterday) who is wondering how to get WaveShell 5.7/5.9 (e.g. API/SSL) GUI working - just use shell2vst and it will show the GUI no problem. Without using shell2vst you just end up with a black screen for the gui.

What I did was copy the two waveshell dll's and shell2vst.exe to c:\ (outside the vstplugins dir), drop the 2 dll's onto the shell2vst.exe, then copy back the contents of the waves dir into a vstplugins folder and clear cache and rescan.
I did the first half...drop the shells onto the shell2vst.exe, saw that it created the shells but now where and how do I drop those back into the vst folder??? I copied the shell2vst.exe into my vst folder but that didnt work...still getting the black screen for the gui thing???
Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:36 AM   #34
VSpaceBoy

Lots of great info, thank you. You solved my problem as well.
VSpaceBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #35
tueftler

Quote:

ok. I managed to drag the WaveShell-VST.dll into shell2.exe and the Plugins were created. But when I move the new shell2.exe or WaveShell-VST.dll 's into my plugins folder Reaper still doesn't recognize the wave plugins.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by tueftler; 03-29-2010 at 02:12 PM.
tueftler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #36
tueftler

YESSS! made it!
To all you guys who're still having trouble with installation, maybe this summary helps:

1. follow the steps fuseburn posted (this admin and registry stuff)

than:
1 - download and unzip this: http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/shell2vst.zip
2 - copy the extracted shell2vst.exe into the C:\Program Files\Waves\Waveshells folder (this just makes it easier to use)
3 - drag and drop each "WaveShell-VST x.x.x.dll" onto the shell2vst.exe
4 - that will create a folder C:\Program Files\Waves\Waveshells\Waves that contains all the plugins as DLLs
5 - Cut and paste this new folder into your vstplugins folder.
If there are already any waveshells in the vstplugins folder you should delete it/them.
(NB delete the waveshells placed in vstplugins NOT the ones in Waves\Waveshell otherwise there'll be a conflict).

First I didn't see that new Waves folder shell2.exe creates. But it is there! I don't know if its really necessary to uninstall and reinstall waves before all that. I did and it suddenly worked fine.

good luck!

Last edited by tueftler; 03-29-2010 at 02:12 PM.
tueftler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #37
vassago

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg View Post
Then some more dumb questions.
If 32 bit work on a 64 bit OS.
What are the advantages of running a reaper 64, instead if reaper 32?
Absolutely none except if you make monster projects that require a massive amount of RAM.

In fact in many case it might even be slower than the 32bits versions unless the software is specifically written for 64 bits. The only softwares I know that are written like that are computational software like Matlab/Mathematica/Maple/Stata/etc...

And VST wise your choice will be limited and bridging 32bits VSTs to 64bits host has always been less than satisfactory for me in terms of performance and stability.

CPU wise it is virtually the same as the 64bits version, at least that is what I am seeing on my machine, a core2duo T8600 (yes it's a laptop!).
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #38
vassago

Quote:
Originally Posted by tueftler View Post
YESSS! made it!
To all you guys who're still having trouble with installation, maybe this summary helps:

1. follow the steps fuseburn posted (this admin and registry stuff)

than:
1 - download and unzip this: http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/shell2vst.zip
2 - copy the extracted shell2vst.exe into the C:\Program Files\Waves\Waveshells folder (this just makes it easier to use)
3 - drag and drop each "WaveShell-VST x.x.x.dll" onto the shell2vst.exe
4 - that will create a folder C:\Program Files\Waves\Waveshells\Waves that contains all the plugins as DLLs
5 - Cut and paste this new folder into your vstplugins folder.
If there are already any waveshells in the vstplugins folder you should delete it/them.
(NB delete the waveshells placed in vstplugins NOT the ones in Waves\Waveshell otherwise there'll be a conflict).

First I didn't see that new Waves folder shell2.exe creates. But it is there! I don't know if its really necessary to uninstall and reinstall waves before all that. I did and it suddenly worked fine.

good luck!
Side note, if you use Windows 7 convert to DLL in a directory that is not under Program Files. If you do, you are asking for trouble because security to memory and disk writes in and from the Programs Files folder is very tight and at a very low level of the OS.
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 PM   #39
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevo View Post
Any other solutions?
Yep. Same here.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #40
airon

In Win7, Aero has to be ON for OpenGL to be usable in the GUI, which is what the SSL and API plugins use. Perhaps try using the standard Aero themes as a starting point and then turn things off one at a time.

V5 Waves plugins are not safe on multicore systems btw. Sometimes the sessions will crash out upon loading the session(instantiation). V7 is ok. Sorry if you need to WUP them in to shape.

Last edited by airon; 04-01-2010 at 12:30 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote